VideoStudio ProX4, burning DVD problems

Postby Margek_corel on Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:35 am

I am also a newcomer and I have been wasting new blank DVD's at an alarming rate. I am using VS Pro X4.
Tried to burn my VSP file to DVD and got a message that it was too big. The duration was shown as 1:55:45. I had imported five 25 min video chapters from some DVD's to make a compilation. Video Studio imported these files as .mpg files I inserted each of these on the time line and produced a VSP file of 928KB. Each of the .mpg files is about 25 minutes long and 4,591,500KB.

Next I tried Create a Video File and used MPEG Optimiser to make a maximum 4GB. This resulted in a .mpg file of about 3.8GB (not best quality but acceptable for my use). Proceeded to attempt to burn this to DVD and the content bar was all green and well below the maximum capacity of a DVD. All looked OK up to 50% completed when it stalled for some time and then gave me the Unspecified Error message again.
Then I followed suggestion in corel.forge article on unspecified error in X5 and set Advanced settings to enable "Test before burning" and "Buffer Underrun protection" and set burning speed to 4x. Same result and another wasted DVD.

I realise I am still unfamiliar with some of the settings on X4 but found my earlier versions much easier to follow but now I get lost (maybe my age is a factor-79).
I am sure the solution to my problem is in this subject but is it possible to help sort me out step by step. It would be wonderful please
Marge
Margek_corel

operating_system: Windows 7 Home Premium
System_Drive: C
32bit or 64bit: 32 Bit
motherboard: Asus P7H55-M
processor: Intel i5 760 cpu
ram: 4GB
Video Card: 1 GB ATI HD5450
sound_card: GIGABIT LAN 8channel
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 930GB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: Samsung BX 2440

Re: VideoStudio ProX4, burning avi files

Postby canuck on Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:32 am

Margek_corel:

you have thrown around a lot of file sizes in your post. Unfortunately file sizes are really not that meaningful when you talk about file sizes. For example a 60 minute video in the DV-avi format would be about 13Gb in size,in DVD mpeg, best quality around 4.3GB and in DivX could be around 700Mb. So you see size does not matter that much. What is important when it comes to DVD mpeg is the length of video and the bitrate. A 60 minute mpg video at best quality (8000kbs) will just fit on a 4.7Gb DVD, for a 2 hours video you would have to reduce the bitrate down to about 4000 to fit on the DVD. This will of course also greatly reduce the quality.
In your case I would put 2 25min videos on a DVD instead of trying to squeeze all two hours on the DVD.

The size of a VSP file is also meaningless since it contains no video but is basically just a "roadmap" of your project. It just lists the resources used in your project as well as any transitions/effects etc applied in your project.
Last edited by canuck on Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
canuck

operating_system: Vista Home Premium
32bit or 64bit: 64 Bit

Re: VideoStudio ProX4, burning DVD problems

Postby BrianCee on Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:49 am

first thing to do is to stop wasting DVD's - they cost money.

when you want to create a new DVD do NOT put a disc in your burner at this stage , instead on the final burn screen uncheck "Create to Disc" and instead check "Create DVD Folders" and use the drop down next to it to send the folders to a sensible location on your hard drive - *IF* you successfully create the folders then you can first view them on your PC and if all is well then just copy the foders to DVd with a very high chance of complete success.

after you have created the mpeg file via the optimiser can you then play that video all the way through on your PC without any stalling or hiccups.

when you went into the "Create Disc module" did you have your .vsp file in the timeline - if yes did you first delete the thumbnail in the burn module timeline and then ensure that you imported your newly created mpeg.

My VideoStudio demo videos - - - https://www.youtube.com/user/MrBrianCee
BrianCee
Site Admin

operating_system: Windows 8.1
ram: 8GB
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 4TB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: HP

Postby lata on Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:51 am

Hi Marge

You seem to indicate using files from an existing DVD, these will be Mpeg2 types.

Please place one of the original files in the timeline, right click and select properties, what are they?
Using your keyboard Alt+PrtSc will copy the window details to your clipboard, use an image editor to create an image, a jpeg that you can attach to your post.

If as I suspect you are using Mpeg2 files then you can use these to burn a DVD. The total size of the clips will determine how many will fit to disc.
The bit rate/data rate also determines the size of the files.
As I wrote earlier……..
As a guide
At full quality using 8000kbps will allow for 60 minutes of video.
At 6000kbps good quality will allow for 90 minutes of video
4000kbps will allow for 120 minutes of video.

You indicate that the total duration is 1hr 55min this will need a bit rate/data rate of approx 4000kbps, this is deemed to be VHS quality.

OK

If your files are to big, which it seems they are they will need rendering/converting using a smaller bit rate. You indicate using the Optimiser to do this, that’s ok the total size of your Mpeg2 files should be lower than 4.3Gb.
You can convert before burning the disc or allow the Burner Module to convert them.

Try this
1 / Start a new Project—nothing in the timeline
2 / Share Create Disc—opens the burner module
3 / Add Media, icon top left—Add video files.
4 / the duration bar should/will remain in the green, Then skip the next parts 5 to 8 and go to part 9
If its showing yellow/red
5 / Click the Project Settings Cogwheel, opens the Project Settings
6 / Click Change Mpeg Settings-Customise
Compression tab, reduce the Data rate to 4000kbps (assuming you have 2 hours of video)
7/ If the bar still remains Red, again Click the Project Settings Cogwheel, opens the Project Settings—deselect Do Not Convert Compliant Mpeg files
8 / repeat part 6 till you have all green.

9 / Next, from the gallery choose a thumbnail type menu
10 / On the last page choose to Create a Disc Image or create a DVD Folder—Deselect Create Disc. Saves you making a coaster.
This will create an Iso file saved to the hard drive, if this is successful then the process of burning is working ok.

You can play the ISO using VLC Media Player.

Earlier versions of VS and X5 provide means of burning the ISO to disc

Read some of my quick guides to Mpeg and burning a disc.

Canuck reference to 400 should read "4000 to fit a DVD"
lata
Site Admin

motherboard: ASUSTeK Computer INC. M3A78-CM Rev X.0x
processor: 2.20 gigahertz AMD Phenom 9550 Quad-Core
ram: 4 gb
Video Card: ATI Radeon 3100 Graphics [Display adapter]
sound_card: on board--VIA High Definition Audio
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 2 off 500G
Monitor/Display Make & Model: LG W2242 [Monitor]

Postby david1939 on Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:18 pm

Also if you eventually want to burn a disc to try out on a DVD player, burn to an erasable DVD-RW.

David
SONY DCR-HC42 Handycam, VideoStudio X4 Pro, X5 Pro, X6 Pro, Motion Studio 3D
david1939

operating_system: Vista Home Premium
motherboard: Unknown
processor: AMD Athlon 64X2 Dual Core Proc.5400+ 2.8GHz
ram: 3GB
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 6150 SE nForce 430
sound_card: RealTek Highdefinition Audio
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 455GB

Postby Margek_corel on Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:13 am

Thank you all for wonderful detailed advice. I am working on it and I think getting a bit more understanding. I will be away from home for a few days (going fishing) and probably no internet access. I will see if I can follow your advice and reply to your questions soon.
Marge.
Margek_corel

Postby Margek_corel on Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:18 am

Thanks again. Thanks to your advice I was able to understand my problem much more.My original DVD was recorded on my Panasonic recorder at a low resolution from TV and I realised I had reduced the quality to fit on one DVD and then when I used MPEG optimiser it reduced it even further and I lost too much quality (particularly the audio). I made the decision to only put two video clips on each new DVD with VS X4 and the result was just fine. Problem seems to be solved and I learned a lot.
Marge
Margek_corel

Postby lata on Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:27 am

Hi Marge

Thanks for the feedback, hope you caught lots of fish?
lata
Site Admin

motherboard: ASUSTeK Computer INC. M3A78-CM Rev X.0x
processor: 2.20 gigahertz AMD Phenom 9550 Quad-Core
ram: 4 gb
Video Card: ATI Radeon 3100 Graphics [Display adapter]
sound_card: on board--VIA High Definition Audio
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 2 off 500G
Monitor/Display Make & Model: LG W2242 [Monitor]