Mixed Signals on DVD Playback!

Postby DayO on Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:10 am

I recently burned video footage to DVD with VS Pro X5 (with the parameters already set in the VS Pro Burning module), and played the DVD
on my DVD player...the DVD played pretty well on my player, though some "striations" or moire appeared in the background on some building sidings early on--but it didn't distort the overall play-ability of a particular sequence...

However, when I played the DVD on a friend's DVD player, the beginning of the DVD broke up and "de-pixillated," for want of a better word--
though 2/3rds of the DVD's later footage played OK (and a commercial DVD played just fine on my friend's DVD player just before all this)...

That result left me very puzzled, why it should play more-or-less OK on my own DVD player, but so horrendously on another DVD player...

Is there some VS Pro (or a utility program) filter that I can run the footage through prior to/during a DVD Burn in VS Pro to get a smooth rendering of the footage?

What the antidote to this problem?
DayO

operating_system: Windows 7 Home Premium
System_Drive: C
32bit or 64bit: 32 Bit
motherboard: AsusTek P5Q Pro Turbo
processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q 8400
Video Card: ATI Radeon HD 5700

Re: Mixed Signals on DVD Playback!

Postby Ken Berry on Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:11 am

The problem is that not all DVD players are created equal. Some -- and especially the higher end, more expensive brand names -- are finicky about what they will play and how they will play it. Many of the cheaper ones will play just about anything round and silver that is put into them!

But more seriously, some players don't like certain brands of discs, or even batches within a particular brand. The dye used in the disc's manufacture apparently has something to do with it. So while a DVD you made may play in one machine, it cannot be guaranteed 100% to play in all others... :cry: One way of making things a bit better -- apart from changing your brand of discs -- is to burn your DVDs at a slow speed. I try not to go above 4x, though if the disc itself has a higher rated slowest speed e.g. 6x or 8x, then use that. The idea is that with the slower burn, it gives the burning laser a small amount of extra time to burn the signal more solidly into the disc.

That's also another thing you need to bear in mind. You can't really compare a home made DVD to a commercial one. The latter are pressed from a master disc using very expensive equipment, whereas our home made ones are burnt.
Ken Berry
Ken Berry
Site Admin

32bit or 64bit: 64 Bit
motherboard: Hewlett-Packard 17FB 10.58
processor: i7 2.2 GHz
ram: 4 GB
Video Card: Radeon HD 7690M XT 1 GB RAM
sound_card: On Board Intel
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 640 GB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: BENQ G2420 HD 1920x1080 24"

Postby DayO on Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:28 am

Thanks, Mr. Berry -

Where in the VS Pro X5 Burning module do I control the Burning speed?

And I'm using Philips DVD-R DVD discs, for burning....
DayO

32bit or 64bit: 32 Bit
motherboard: AsusTek P5Q Pro Turbo
processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q 8400
Video Card: ATI Radeon HD 5700

Postby teknisyan on Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:39 am

@ DayO

VS X5 always writes at the maximum speed of you're writer, but if you're burning from ISO, you can set the WRITE SPEED by going to TOOL > BURN FROM DISC IMAGE (ISO) > on the BURN FROM DISC IMAGE screen, just click on the double-down arrow next to the COPY option.
Like reading blogs?
About Tech
About Sports
Pnoy.Me - A URL Shortener
Follow me on Facebook & Twitter
teknisyan

32bit or 64bit: 64 Bit
motherboard: Sony Corporation VAIO
processor: Intel Corel i5
ram: 4 GB