Uninstall VideoStudio Pro X5

Postby rbmoving on Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:46 pm

Installed Trial version; then purchased Store Boxed copy of VideoStudio Pro X5 Ultimate. Was instructed by Corel Support to completely Uninstall Trial version before Installing Store Purchased copy Using Program&Features...and, also follow the steps outlined in the Manual Unistall Corel Article "000012696 - Manually Removing Corel VideoStudio Pro X5:

I uninstalled Using P&F; I then ran CCleaner (I had seen that a recent Version of CCleaner included cleanup for VS). I selected Scan Registry and a bunch of entries returned....a bunch. Some were Folders, I guess others were registry keys. I let CCleaner Fix these entries....(did use the CCleaner feature and did do a backup).

I re-started my PC....ran CCleaner again, nothing was found. I then began to follow the manual steps in Corels' "000012696".... CCleaner must have had a copy of Corels' Manual Uninstall because every entry shown in the article to be manually deleted was not there.....

So what Corel didn't do, or, wouldn't do in the Uninstall...CCleaner....did

What I don't know is, it appears 1) "SmartSound CommonData" and 2) "Smartsound QuickTracks 5" was installed when I installed the VS Trial version. I write this because 1) these 2 Smartsound Softwares were installed the Same day I installed the VS Trial version, and 2) I don't recall seeing these 2 SmartSound Softwares in my P&F List prior to Installing the VS Pro X5 Trial version.

1) Does anyone know for sure if these 2 SmartSounds software were installed by the Trial version? Corel's Tech support 1st said they were not and when I pushed back they changed their mind and said they were installed by the Trial version

2)Should I delete these 2 SmartSound Softwares and if yes, will the new Store Purchased copy install these during its install (I am doing a Complete...clean Uninstall of the Trial before I install my Store Purchased copy and is the reason I am asking what I should do with the 2 Smartsound softwares)
rbmoving

operating_system: Windows 7 Home Premium
System_Drive: C
32bit or 64bit: 32 Bit

Re: Uninstall VideoStudio Pro X5

Postby Ken Berry on Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:45 pm

SmartSound is not a Corel product. It is a plug-in made by another company and works in VS to make tailor-made lengths of background music for insertion in a VS project. I am pretty sure you will find that the SmartSound plug-in for the trial and boxed versions of VS are identical and should cause no trouble. Certainly if you delete them now, then the boxed edition disc will reinstall them. But if you leave them, the disc will simply overwrite them with identical code.
Ken Berry
Ken Berry
Site Admin

32bit or 64bit: 64 Bit
motherboard: Hewlett-Packard 17FB 10.58
processor: i7 2.2 GHz
ram: 4 GB
Video Card: Radeon HD 7690M XT 1 GB RAM
sound_card: On Board Intel
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 640 GB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: BENQ G2420 HD 1920x1080 24"

Postby rbmoving on Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:14 pm

I just noticed another Software in P&F, Windows Media Encoder 9 Series....also installed on the same day as the VS Trial version was installed. The VS Trial version also installed this software as well....and if I delete, the new Install will re-install it?

This is sad....I get the right answer to my question here in this Post....but was unable to get the right answer from Corel's Tech Support.

I think I'll do the Un-install of the 2 SmartSound Softwares and let the new Install re-install these programs.

My objective is to get a complete Clean Uninstall of everything installed by the Trial version so the store purchase version installs everything new

What was really nice is how clean CCleaner removed all the Folders and registry keys VS Uninstall left behind.
rbmoving

Postby canuck on Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:37 am

Hopefully CCleaner has not removed anything that still is needed by your system. Registry Cleaners are a dangerous tool and do more harm then good, in my opinion. You may think you only removed VS related entries but ..... :shock:
canuck

operating_system: Vista Home Premium

Postby Ken Berry on Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:46 pm

Windows Media Encoder Series 9 will give you a lot more options if you are intending to produce .wmv videos. If you don't intend to produce such video, then it is not necessary to install it. But it does no harm either way.
Ken Berry
Ken Berry
Site Admin

Postby Ken Berry on Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:50 pm

rbmoving has sent me a private message to continue the discussion. I have told him that we need to continue the discussion here rather than by private message, so that others with a similar problem might benefit from the replies here, or indeed others may have other solutions. His message was as follows:
Your response is appreciated.... I did not clearly present my question.

In a previous response in this Thread I asked if the 2 SmartSound Softwares that were in my P&F were installed by the VS Trial software I installed on my PC. You confirmed this was so and that I could delete both...and when I install my Store purchased VS these 2 SmartSound Softwares would be installed again.

After I read your response I noticed that Windows Media Encoder Series 9 was also in P&F, it showed an Install date the same as VS.....therefore it also must have been installed by the VS Trial Install...which I assume is correct?

My objective is to completely remove every thing installed by the VS trial....and do a totally clean Install with my Store purchased copy of VS. So my question, I can delete the currently installed Windows Media Encoder Series 9......and when I Install the Store Purchased copy of VS...Windows Media Encoder Series will be installed so If needed I will have it to use in the future......

I have to confess that I don't know if Windows Media Encoder Series 9 is installed now as part of VS X5. Certainly it was not installed with previous versions as we had, numerous times, to suggest that users having trouble encoding high quality .wmv files should install Series 9. But on checking my own programs on this otherwise new computer, I find that I also have Series 9 installed. However, to further complicate matters, unlike rbmoving, my Series 9 shows as having been installed the day *before* I installed X5 (which moreover is the only video editing program on this computer). So it is possible that it could also have been installed in some other Windows-related update. Series 9 was in fact installed on the day I bought this computer, and so could have come as part of a variety of other updates I did once I had first booted the computer. But if anyone else could check the dates of their install of X5 and Series 9, it would be appreciated! :lol:

But my earlier point still holds: Series 9 is not an integral or even essential part of Video Studio, but could become necessary if you want high quality choices for encoding .wmv video. If you do uninstall it -- and there is absolutely no reason to do so -- and find that it is not reinstalled when you reinstall X5, it would be easy enough to find Series 9 on the Microsoft website and install it manually if you wish...
Ken Berry
Ken Berry
Site Admin

Postby BrianCee on Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:33 am

Surely Windows Media Encoder 9 is Windows Media Encoder 9 is Windows Media Encoder 9

it's Windows Media Encoder 9 - what does it matter which programme installed it ? - my newest PC came with it already installed, I just leave it there and it gets used when it needs to be used by whatever programme wants to use it.

My VideoStudio demo videos - - - https://www.youtube.com/user/MrBrianCee

This is the Corel USER TO USER Web Board
administered by un-paid volunteer users for the benefit of other users
BrianCee
Site Admin

operating_system: Windows 8.1
ram: 8GB
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 4TB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: HP

Postby rbmoving on Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:47 pm

Right or wrong; my goal here is to totally delete everything installed by the VS Trial Install.....and do a Completely "Clean" install of VS when I install my Store Purchased Copy.....
rbmoving

Return to VideoStudio