Choppy, jerky, jumpy video in edit x5

Postby Tim Burns on Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:52 pm

Choppy, jerky, jumpy video in edit x5
HI,
I’ve been using very happily been using x2 for a number of years to make a lot of movies from my standard definition camera, I’ve loved the programme, and it has generally been able to do everything I wanted, and made for an enjoyable editing process. However, the camera has finally given up and I’m now going down the HD route, and the old x2 version just keeps crashing with any new clips. So I have recently downloaded the trial version of x5 (5 days of trial left), with the intention of trying it out and then purchasing it.

Unfortunately however I have found it to be jerky and jumpy when editing clips together, particularly when using the overlay tracks, the more overlays the worse it gets. This happens when I want to watch the edit, and while the sound runs ok the video just freezes on a frame then jumps ahead a few seconds and freezes etc etc. Impossible to watch and edit to really.

I am using the smart proxy to get the files to a manageable size, and I can see the separate proxy files in explorer. Smart proxy enabled. I have all the acceleration on that can go on (the ”Enable Hardware Encoder Acceleration” is greyed out so I can’t tick it). When I share/render the movie it comes out just fine, so it’s only with the editing process that is jumpy. I’m a bit disheartened as I have really enjoyed x2, and could get good results really quickly, and I enjoyed the editing interface and process with Corel VS, but am now thinking I might need to change to a different video editing programme. I’ve searched the forum for similar issues and found some related posts, but none of the fixes have worked, so I’m wondering if it’s something to do with my computer or the setup. The computer I am using is relatively new, so should have the grunt needed, but who knows. So I’m know writing to the forum to see if anyone has had a similar experience and if anyone can help or offer suggestions so I can get x5 working smoothly. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Tim

Computer- HP Elitebook 8560w
Everything is just running off the laptop’s hard drive. I’ve installed The CVS x5 Service Pack 1

The project has only two clips – the first from a canon d550 as below

640x480 MOV
24 bits, 1848 frames
25.000 fps
73.92 secs

And the other from the net as below

MPEG-4 file
2890 KB
H 264 High Profile Video
989 frames
24 bits 640x480 4:3
30 fps
605 Kbps data rate

Project Properties
PAL (25 fps)
MPEG files
24 bits, 720 x 576, 25 fps
Upper Field First
(DVD-PAL), 4:3
Video data rate: Variable (Max. 8000 kbps)
LPCM Audio, 48000 Hz, Stereo
Tim Burns

operating_system: Windows 7 Professional
System_Drive: C
32bit or 64bit: 64 Bit
motherboard: Hewlett-Packard 1631 KBC Version 01.39
processor: Intel Core i7-2630QM CPU 2.00GHz Quadcore
ram: 8 MB
Video Card: NVIDIA Quadro 1000M [Display adapter]
sound_card: NVIDIA High Definition Audio 4x
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 500Gig
Monitor/Display Make & Model: Generic PnP Monitor (15.7"vis)

Re: Choppy, jerky, jumpy video in edit x5

Postby Ken Berry on Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:52 pm

I too have recently bought a HP i7 laptop, though it probably has less resources than yours (see my Profile under my photo). But I could not be happier with it --- ultra smooth playback while editing with X5, and using AVCHD, HDV, and .MOV HD files. I don't have to bother with SmartProxy and wonder why you even bother using it with your set-up...

As for your computer, is it a dual graphics system? Mine for instance has both built-in Intel graphics for most software, but you can switch over to a Radeon card which is also in the computer for extra grunt. You can instruct the computer as to which programs use the latter, and I have X5 on that list. So I am naturally wondering if your set-up is similar and you need to assign X5 to the NVidia card...?

As for your videos, I know you say you are now into HD, but neither of those sets of Properties you posted above is HD. They are as SD as you can get! You certainly wouldn't need to use SmartProxy with them anyway...

You should also note that you are mixing video from different broadcast systems. The .mov file is PAL (25 fps) while the mpeg-4 is NTSC (30fps). This can produce problems in your final video. If, for example, you produce a new video using PAL properties, then the mpeg-4 video will have to lose 5 frames every second to reduce it from 30 fps to PAL's 25 fps. And if you used NTSC, then the .mov video would have to have 5 new frames added every second. VS invents these by doubling existing frames. Either way, you will get a slightly jerky result.

Speaking of .mov files, have you updated your Quicktime to the latest version? The version which comes with X5 may no longer be the latest...
Ken Berry
Ken Berry
Site Admin

operating_system: Windows 7 Home Premium
motherboard: Hewlett-Packard 17FB 10.58
processor: i7 2.2 GHz
ram: 4 GB
Video Card: Radeon HD 7690M XT 1 GB RAM
sound_card: On Board Intel
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 640 GB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: BENQ G2420 HD 1920x1080 24"

Re: Choppy, jerky, jumpy video in edit x5

Postby Tim Burns on Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:18 pm

Thanks Ken for the quick reply.

I'm encouraged by your experience with the computer- I have this gut feeling that it might be the machine so I will look into ( or get someone who knows how) to look in to the video card suggestions.

Your comments about the SD nature of the clips is also well made- I would imagine that my version of x2 would have handled this job without problem, which reinforces my concerns.

As I was posting the clip details I noted the different frame rate and wondered about this...is it possible to convert the NTSC to PAL? I think I'll give this a go as well. Having said that the final rendered movie is ok, it's just the editing process that is choppy. I wonder if the PAL/NTSC nature affects this.

I'll also check the status of quicktime.

So thanks for the thoughts- I'll do some homework and come back with the results.

Tim
Tim Burns

operating_system: Windows 7 Professional
motherboard: Hewlett-Packard 1631 KBC Version 01.39
processor: Intel Core i7-2630QM CPU 2.00GHz Quadcore
ram: 8 MB
Video Card: NVIDIA Quadro 1000M [Display adapter]
sound_card: NVIDIA High Definition Audio 4x
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 500Gig
Monitor/Display Make & Model: Generic PnP Monitor (15.7"vis)

Return to VideoStudio