What has happened to Ulead??????????

Postby PJH on Mon Sep 25, 2006 9:15 am

What has happened to Ulead????????

Firstly let me say that I’ve been using and pushing Ulead products for about 8 years now. I started with Media Studio at version 2.0 and Image Pals (before Photoimpact).

I’ve been earning a living (pretty decent) making high end corporate video and multimedia. I also provided non-linear support for a South African Company (Linkstar) to all of their Ulead customers over the years. I went from Media Studio 2.0, 2.5, 5.0, 5.02, 5.2, 6.0, 6.5, 7.0, 7.2, 7.3 and finally to 8.01.

What I’m trying to say is that I do know the software. I waited patiently for version 8 to be patched before I installed it thinking that most if not all of the bugs would be sorted.

Boy, was I wrong!

My list so far: (And this is what other users that I know have experienced as well.

Preview window leaves “holes” in the interface when closed. You have to minimize the programme and then maiximise to get rid of them.

When inserting an image into the timeline and then going and changing something on that image, instead of MSP “updating” the image the programme crashes.

When working on the timeline, the thumbnails sparadically disappear just leaving a solid bar. They do eventually reappear but it takes a huge amount of time.

Strange behaviour with audio. Sometimes the audio “vanishes” but you can still see the wave file in front of you. Move the clip slightly and it comes back.

When working for a while in the programme, a single frame of audio goes “missing” (you can actually see it as a straight line). This gets rendered into the final video unless “smart render” is disabled.

When scrubbing over footage, the correct footage is seen but when previewing, the complete wrong footage shows up.

Sometimes transitions playback as thought they are frame based (slight jerking). When the programme is closed and then reopened the transition plays back properly.

These are problems that I’ve experienced as well as other colleagues.

On the subject of “What has happened to Ulead?” I also purchased the full version of Photoimpact 11. This was AFTER the first service pack. Well, what a heap of rubbish. This has to be the most unstable version I’ve come across. Once again not only me. If one goes to the Photoimpact forum they are now at 11 pages of problems!!

So what does Ulead do? They release Photoimpact 12 and ask you once again the pay for the fixes that they should have fixed in 11 for free.

This isn’t good enough Ulead!!!!!!!

I’ve no alternative but to go back to MSP 7.3 and Photoimpact 10.

What a waste of time and money.
PJH

Postby Devil on Mon Sep 25, 2006 9:30 am

I'm sorry, but I don't understand why you are having these problems. Have you tried a total reinstall, starting with the OS? If so, I suggest you may have a hardware problem, such as a faulty memory chip. I've MSP8 and PI11 on 2 computers and I don't see these and they are both rock stable.

Please let us know more about how you have installed them and all the other software you have installed, in case it is a conflict problem. Also the CPU and page file usage.

It is not normal what you experience.
Devil

P4 Core 2 Duo 2.6 GHz/Elite NVidia NF650iSLIT-A/2 Gb dual channel FSB 1333 MHz/Gainward NVidia 7300/2 x 80 Gb, 1 x 300 Gb, 1 x 200 Gb/DVCAM DRV-1000P drive/ Pan NV-DX1&-DX100/MSP8/WS2/PI11/C3D etc.
Devil
Advisor

Postby PJH on Mon Sep 25, 2006 5:35 pm

I agree with you, Devil, It's not normal behaviour. I did install MSP 8.01 on a fresh Windows XP (Service pack 2) installation. I'm running a Pentium 4 2.4 GHz with a Gig of Ram, an 80 Gig system drive and a 250 gig video drive.

In fact I waited until MSP service pack 1 came out before I installed it. Same with Photoimpact 11.

I do appreciate that you say yours is rock solid but mine and a lot of others are not. Incidently those two products are the only two products on my system that are hopelessly unpredictable.

I'm really not prepared to format my drive and waste another few days having my system off line. I have clients coming to see me tomorrow (today is a public holiday) and I cannot afford to have them wait until my system is up and running.

A colleague of mine installed MSP 8 and Photoimpact 11 on his system and has nothing else on that particular system but has the same problems as I do.

In fact he has had the "corrupt file" problem as well.

My main gripe is that the standard response from UleaD is "UNINSTALL AND REINSTALL" What a waste of time.

You only have to read the forum (the first page in fact) to see that MSP has problems.
PJH

Postby THoff on Mon Sep 25, 2006 10:55 pm

To me that sounds like a problem with the video subsystem. I would install the most recent WHQL-certified display driver and make sure you have DirectX 9.0c installed, and if that doesn't solve the problem by itself, lower the hardware acceleration level by one.
THoff

Postby heinz-oz on Mon Sep 25, 2006 11:18 pm

I also seem to remember someone stating that some ATI cards do have issues also. I'm almost certain it is hardware related. This friend of yours, does he/she, by any chance, run an identical setup to yours?

I don't run MSP 8 yet, MSP 7.3 does what I need at present but PI 11 is stable for me. I did have an issue once, in the beginning with PI 11, where I found that MF 3 DC had an effect on how PI 10 and 11 performed after I upgraded to PI 11. Only found this out by pure chance and upgrading to MF 4 DC fixed that issue.

With Ulead programs, sometimes, we have to think outside the square. I have to agree, these programs can be temperamental on certain hardware/software mixes but, if you manage to sort that out, they are excellent value for money. If you can't or won't, well, how can I put it..., a program that doesn't work for you is useless.

Since we haven't had your kind of problem listed here, I would think it has to do with your system spec's. OK, you don't want to muck around with your system because of deadlines, I can understand that but, what other options do you have?

I would go back to what used to work.
heinz-oz

Postby Terry Stetler on Wed Sep 27, 2006 12:51 am

My older ATI cards (pre-X1000 series) sometimes leave a 2-3 pixel wide 'frame' around some windows, and they don't show on Matrox displays so....
Terry Stetler
Terry Stetler
Advisor

Postby htchien on Wed Sep 27, 2006 3:44 am

Terry Stetler wrote:My older ATI cards (pre-X1000 series) sometimes leave a 2-3 pixel wide 'frame' around some windows, and they don't show on Matrox displays so....

That would happen on some ATi Radeon cards. I had saw this on my old ATi notebook before.

H.T.
Ted (H.T.)

The message is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights. For official tech support please contact Corel Tech Support.

My YouTube channel
htchien
Advisor

operating_system: Mac
System_Drive: C
32bit or 64bit: 32 Bit

Return to MediaStudio Pro