PSP X3 and Nik Filters

Corel Paint Shop Pro

Moderator: trueblue

PSP X3 and Nik Filters

Postby pkphoto on Sat Mar 06, 2010 7:24 pm

I am a long time user as photographer of PSP X2 Ultimate as also I am working with plug in filter Nik's Viveza.
I would like to upgrade to Viveza 2 but when I downloaded the trial version this could not be possible to operate not at all with PSP X2 ultimate, as also with PSP X3 in trial version.
I bought the offer by Corel that was before in 20$.
But as many in this forum or in others places, I am saying that we were expacting more from Corel.
I contacted Nik distrubutor software in Germany (I am working in Greece) and they have not at all any information either.
I will be gratteful for a help by the members of this forum.
Thanks a lot.
pkphoto

Postby calpon on Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:54 pm

I am using Viveza2 as well as all of the other Nik plugins with PSPX3. These worked in PSP X2 as well.

The only problem I have encountered with Viveza2 is the preview/work images are desaturated (very little color), but they turn out fully saturated within PSP once the Viveza2 screen disappears.

You need to put your entire Viveza 2 plugin folders (decompressed) in (program files)(Corel)(Corel Paintshop Pro)(X3)(Plugin). CREATE THIS FILE YOURSELF.

Go into PSP X3, choose <file><preferences><file locations>, click on plug-ins in the file types area, under plug-in folders check enable plug-ins, click the add button, navigate to the folder that you created above. Click OK. Shut down PSPX3 and restart. The plug-ins should now be under <Effects><Plug-ins>

Good luck :)
calpon

Postby pkphoto on Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:04 am

thanks a lot...I will try again
pkphoto

Postby Trev Bowden on Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:08 am

Please don't place plugins or any other resources that you have purchased inside the PSP x3 root folder. This folder will be deleted should you need to uninstall X3 for any reason and your purchases will be lost.
PSP creates a My PSP folder in my documents. This is for saving all your purchased Resources. Place them in there, if there is not a plugin sub folder make one first and add it to your file locations. You might also want to move Tubes, frames Etc from previous versions of PSP there too especially if you going to uninstal it. All resource's that came with a particular edition of PSP will be installed when that edition is installed
Trev Bowden

operating_system: Windows 7 Home Premium
System_Drive: C
32bit or 64bit: 32 Bit
motherboard: ASUSTeK. M3A78-EM
processor: 2.80 gigahertz AMD Athlon 7850 Dual-Core
ram: 4gb
Video Card: ATI Radeon HD 5450
sound_card: ATI HDMI Audio.Realtek High Definition
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 2TB

Postby calpon on Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:47 am

Trev Bowden wrote:Please don't place plugins or any other resources that you have purchased inside the PSP x3 root folder. This folder will be deleted should you need to uninstall X3 for any reason and your purchases will be lost.
PSP creates a My PSP folder in my documents. This is for saving all your purchased Resources. Place them in there, if there is not a plugin sub folder make one first and add it to your file locations. You might also want to move Tubes, frames Etc from previous versions of PSP there too especially if you going to uninstal it. All resource's that came with a particular edition of PSP will be installed when that edition is installed

I initially did this, but my plug-ins would not show in PSP X3. I'll try again and report back if I have any luck.
calpon

Postby Trev Bowden on Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:23 pm

This might be caused by how you moved them from X2 to X3 if that is what you did . The Nix filters need it be installed with the nix installer so that the correct register entries can be created. So simply moving them from one location to another will not work You must Install them to that location. This is true for most commercial plugin filters as it allows serial No protection. Though there are many filters given away that are just a 8bf file and these are easy to move about.
Trev Bowden

motherboard: ASUSTeK. M3A78-EM
processor: 2.80 gigahertz AMD Athlon 7850 Dual-Core
Video Card: ATI Radeon HD 5450
sound_card: ATI HDMI Audio.Realtek High Definition
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 2TB

Where to install Plug-ins

Postby OldRadioGuy on Sun Mar 14, 2010 4:34 pm

calpon wrote:You need to put your entire Viveza 2 plugin folders (decompressed) in (program files)(Corel)(Corel Paintshop Pro)(X3)(Plugin). CREATE THIS FILE YOURSELF.

I am not familiar with this particular plug-in, but most plug-ins with install functions allow the user to browse to another folder during the installation, if needed. If your plug-ins are shared (or will be in the future) among several programs, it's a good idea to install to a main folder that's separate from PSP or any other photo editor. Then you can point to that location with the options menu of each editor.

Bob
PSPX7 | Photo Ninja | DxO Optics Pro 9 | ACDSee 7 | Capture One Pro 7 |Olympus E-M1 & E-M5 cameras
OldRadioGuy

32bit or 64bit: 64 Bit
motherboard: Dell 0YJPT1 A00
processor: Intel Core i7-3770 3.40 GHZ 8 virtual cores
ram: 16 GB
Video Card: AMD Radeon HD 7770
sound_card: Realtec High Definition Audio
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 2 TB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: Samsung 23" HD 1920x1080 px

Re: Where to install Plug-ins

Postby calpon on Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:46 am

OldRadioGuy wrote:
calpon wrote:You need to put your entire Viveza 2 plugin folders (decompressed) in (program files)(Corel)(Corel Paintshop Pro)(X3)(Plugin). CREATE THIS FILE YOURSELF.

I am not familiar with this particular plug-in, but most plug-ins with install functions allow the user to browse to another folder during the installation, if needed. If your plug-ins are shared (or will be in the future) among several programs, it's a good idea to install to a main folder that's separate from PSP or any other photo editor. Then you can point to that location with the options menu of each editor.

Bob

The NIK plug-ins don't install properly with PSP products. They claim that future versions should. These need to be manually installed.
calpon

Re: PSP X3 and Nik Filters

Postby jkpboca on Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:47 am

I;m having the exact same problems with Viveza 2 and my PSPX2 ultimate. For some reason I have several folders for PSP in my C drive, but it doesn't matter which folder I put it in... PSP can't find the plugin. I have other NIK plugins and Topaz, but Viveza 2 just won't show up. I contacted NIK about this and they claim it won't work because it's not compatible.

As for saturation problems, am having that problem using it in Photoshop Elements 8. I work on a photo, get to to how I like it and suddenly it turns out garishly oversaturated. I asked NIK about this problem as well, and they say they've never heard of it.

I have tried installing it in practically every folder possible, but nothing.
jkpboca

motherboard: 0Y536R A12
processor: 2.53 gigahertz Intel Core2 Duo P8700
Video Card: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4670 [Display adapter]
sound_card: ATI High Definition Audio Device
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 500 GB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: Dell XPS Studio 1640 Laptop

Postby teknisyan on Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:24 am

Hello pkphoto,

The problem could be with the way you installed the plugin and it's not recognize by PSP X2 or PSP X3. To know more in installing Plugins into Paint Shop Pro Photo X2, you can read this article. http://corel.custhelp.com/app/answers/d ... _id/762180
Like reading blogs?
About Tech
About Sports
Pnoy.Me - A URL Shortener
Follow me on Facebook & Twitter
teknisyan

motherboard: Sony Corporation VAIO
processor: Intel Corel i5
ram: 4 GB
Video Card: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5650
sound_card: Realtek HD Audio
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 500 GB

Postby akatkando on Mon May 02, 2011 3:11 am

Abiel,

The link that you posted does not work. Can you please repost the link so I may review what it has to say?

Thanks,

Cathy
akatkando

operating_system: Windows 7 Ultimate
motherboard: Gigabyte EX-DS4
processor: Intel Core 2 Quad 2.66Hz 2.67Ghz
Video Card: ATiRadeon DH4650
sound_card: Realtek PCIe GBE on Motherboard
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 3800 GB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: Samsung SyncMaster910T, Planer PX191

Postby trueblue on Mon May 02, 2011 9:40 am

I have PSPX2 and PSPX3 and use NikColor filters quite effectively.

I install the filters into my Plugin folder that is situated on a different hard drive to my operating system and installed software, ie: PSPX3.

NikColor will install a few files into your C drive, but the actual filters will be in the folder you nominated.

Open PSPX? File, Preferences, File Locations, Plug-ins. Click on the Add button, find where NikColor folder is then OK.

The filters/plugins should now be seen in Effects/Plugins.
~~~~Maureen~~~~
Creative-Designs
Painter X3 - PaintShop Pro X7 - ArtRage 4.5
trueblue

operating_system: Windows 8.1
motherboard: Acer Predator G3620_H
processor: Intel Core i7-3770 Quad-core 3.40GHz
ram: 16GB
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 1.50GB
sound_card: NVIDIA High Def Audio Realtek High Def
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 3TB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: Benq E2420HD 24" wide x 2 monitors

Postby Radim on Mon May 02, 2011 3:36 pm

I tried latest Nik plugins, they install and work in PSP X2/X3 only when Photoshop CS5 trial I installed before.
Radim

operating_system: Windows 8

Postby akatkando on Mon May 02, 2011 8:19 pm

Thank you for your replies. I have the Nik series that came as a bonus with PSP X2 and I will try installing them to my separate Plugin folder that I have setup on my C drive and direct PSP X3 to look there for them. I recently purchased Photoshop Elements 9, so I guess maybe if I have a Photoshop program installed, maybe I will just install the filters first and let them choose the default program to which they wish to be installed, determine the path to that folder and then direct PSP X3 to look to that folder. That may be the better option. That way I won't have to direct both programs where to look for the filter???

I was thinking that I had read on a forum some where that the Nik filters where having a compatiblity problem with X3 after some of the upgrade patchs were installed... perhaps I mixed up the Nik filters with something else?!?

Thanks again.

Cathy
akatkando

operating_system: Windows 7 Ultimate
motherboard: Gigabyte EX-DS4
processor: Intel Core 2 Quad 2.66Hz 2.67Ghz
Video Card: ATiRadeon DH4650
sound_card: Realtek PCIe GBE on Motherboard
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 3800 GB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: Samsung SyncMaster910T, Planer PX191

Postby Kathy_9 on Tue May 03, 2011 10:49 pm

Cathy,

I had trouble with my Nik plug-ins not working, at one time, but after i installed patch #3 they started functioning again. However, patch #3 did break my Topaz ReMask plug-in so it was a trade off.
Using PSP X6 without SP1 or SP2 & PSP X7

http://www.flickr.com/photos/37153430@N03/
Kathy_9

operating_system: Windows 7 Professional
motherboard: MSI 2A9C
processor: 2.80 gigahertz Intel Core i7 860
ram: 8GB
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GT 220
sound_card: NVIDIA High Definition Audio
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 750GB