NEW! Corel PaintShop Pro 2018

Exif and Rotations

Exif and Rotations

Postby mkochsch » Tue Sep 25, 2007 11:05 pm

Photo Explorer doesn't rotate any of my photos from the Exif data! Does everyone experience this problem? It's a huge PITA when I'm making slideshows and have to manually rotate a large percentage of photos. Also, the "Rotate" button only rotates clockwise! You can drop it down and select counter-clockwise, but ouch!! don't most people hold with the shutter button up when shooting vertical? I would think counter clockwise should be the default. Is there no way to customise this feature? Thx.
mkochsch

Re: Exif and Rotations

Postby Bobm03 » Wed Sep 26, 2007 1:57 am

mkochsch wrote:Photo Explorer doesn't rotate any of my photos from the Exif data! Does everyone experience this problem? It's a huge PITA when I'm making slideshows and have to manually rotate a large percentage of photos. Also, the "Rotate" button only rotates clockwise! You can drop it down and select counter-clockwise, but ouch!! don't most people hold with the shutter button up when shooting vertical? I would think counter clockwise should be the default. Is there no way to customise this feature? Thx.

What version of PE are you using? The current V8 and V8.5 allow you to rotate both left (counter clockwise) and right (clockwise). Perhaps you don't have both buttons visible in your toolbar(s)...?

Sorry, but I take a vertical shot with the shutter on the bottom. I prefer to have my elbow supported on my chest rather than having it flaying about above my head in the breeze. :wink:

There's no way to customize it that I'm aware of. :|
Bobm03

Exif Orientation field

Postby mkochsch » Wed Sep 26, 2007 6:21 am

I'm using PE 8.6 the latest.
It's either reading incorrectly or not reading the orientation field at all. If I rotate photo in PE it messes them up in programs which do know how to read this field (screen savers, Adobe Bridge et al).
The rotate button I was referring to in the original post is the one found on the "Slideshow" windows of PE. The slide show function, to it's credit, does remember how I rotate images and does this none destructively when you save a slideshow.
BTW, try this: :idea: when shooting you should almost always put your right hand on top. With the right hand under you'd either have to trip the shutter with your thumb or have your index finger sewn on backwards. :wink: With right hand up approach your hand and arm curve and mould to the camera too. You can still use your left elbow to brace against your chest. Your left hand should always cradle the camera with the body in your palm and with the lens barrel between thumb and index finger for focus, aperture or zoom.
mkochsch

Return to Photo Explorer