NEW! Corel PaintShop Pro 2018

MP4 Video

MP4 Video

Postby cyps » Sun Feb 04, 2007 3:18 pm

I have a Sanyo VPC HD1 Camcorder which records video as MP4. I received a basic version of Photoexplorer with the camcorder and with it I can import the MP4 videos and convert them to AVI or MPG and also play the files within Photoexplorer. However I downloaded the trial version of Photoexplorer 8.5 with the intention of upgrading but to my dismay I found it wouldn't handle the MP4 format at all. Am I missing something or does Photoexplorer not normally support MP4 except in the version provided with my camcorder?
cyps

Postby Ron P. » Sun Feb 04, 2007 4:04 pm

Welcome to the forums, Cyps,

I've never attempted to use PE for video capturing, as I have VS and MSP for that. However in looking at my version (PE 8.6, which is included with PI-12), it will use whatever codecs you have available. For example I have the DivX codec and through PE I would be able to save my video as a DivX file. I did notice that I was limited on "capturing".

Another possibility is that the TBYB version is limited, and will only allow capturing to a few formats.

The version that was included with your camcorder, most likely has been tweaked by Sanyo for that camcorder. This is common, and as such other versions may not be compatible. I would guess (currently *see footnote), that PE 8.5 may require a plug-in to support it.

* Attempted to check the file specifications on Ulead's website. However it is in it's crippled snail mode, and not accessible as of this posting.
Ron Petersen, Web Board Administrator
Ron P.
Site Admin

operating_system: Windows 10
System_Drive: C
32bit or 64bit: 64 Bit
motherboard: Hewlett-Packard 2AF3 1.0
processor: 3.40 gigahertz Intel Core i7-4770
ram: 16GB
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 645
sound_card: NVIDIA High Definition Audio
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 4TB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: 1-HP 27" IPS, 1-Sanyo 21" TV/Monitor
Corel programs: VS5,8.9,10-X5,PSP9-X8,CDGS-9,X4,Painter

Postby cyps » Sun Feb 04, 2007 6:44 pm

Thanks for your prompt reply vidoman, it does seem to be the case that the Sanyo version of Photoexplorer has been tweaked to handle MP4. I'm not really complaining as it does a good job of playing and converting the MP4 files.

What I find disconcerting is that none of the other picture/video editors out there at least in my experience can handle this MP4 format. Not only that but the recommended Quicktime won't even play them properly for me but gives a corrupt display. Of course I can always convert to AVI or MPEG first, but it would be nice to have a dedicated program to edit them natively. Thank goodness then for Photoexplorer (Sanyo) which is a very good middleman to hand the transition, I would be at a complete standstill without it. Maybe there is still hope and someone out there has the answer (program) and if so please write in A.S.A.P. Thank you, and I thank you again vidoman for your constructive help.
cyps

Postby htchien » Mon Feb 05, 2007 3:45 am

Ulead VideoStudio 10 can support the MP4 file editing for Sanyo. Maybe you can try it.

Ulead VideoStudio:
http://www.ulead.com/vs

Hope this helps.

H.T.
Ted (H.T.)

The message is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights. For official tech support please contact Corel Tech Support.

My YouTube channel
htchien
Advisor

operating_system: Mac
System_Drive: C
32bit or 64bit: 32 Bit

Postby cyps » Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:59 pm

Thank you very very much htchien, that's exactly the kind of program I needed. It does everything I want and more, it's perfect. No other program came close, it's awesome. Can't understand why other supposedly leading video editors don't have the features of Videostudio 10. Thanks again
cyps

Return to Photo Explorer