NEW! Corel PaintShop Pro 2018

New to the program

Corel Paint Shop Pro

Moderator: trueblue

New to the program

Postby gsakatch » Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:12 am

Hi all. I am brand new to PSP, but not new to many of the concepts. I've been a television editor for over 25 years, and basically honed my skills in photoshop.
I'm now trying to switch to PSP, but am having difficulty equating some of my workflows.

Let me start by saying I'm not looking to do touch ups or anything like that. I used photoshop, and hope to use PSP for logo manipulation and prep for use in my video editing world.
One of my first questions relates to importing an image.

I'm used to a workflow where I create a blank document, in a video size, say 1920x1080, and then (in photoshop) I would "place" the clients version of their logo into this frame size, which automatically creates a new layer, and a bounding box that can be resized if necessary.

In PSP, all I've been able to figure out is that I have to open the clients file as a separate document, select all, copy go to my new document, and paste to import an image.

Is this the only way to do it? Import seems to only be for connecting to a scanner, and I don't see anything that looks like "place" in any of the tabs.

I know i'll have many more questions to get the basic workflow I need down, but this seems like a good starting place.

Thanks
Glenn
gsakatch

operating_system: Windows 7 Professional
System_Drive: C
32bit or 64bit: 64 Bit
Corel programs: psp

Re: New to the program

Postby flagpole » Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:45 pm

Hi
Paste as new layer maybe?

To be honest this is not a typical work flow. Normally you would create an image, and create a new layer, then paste in the selection.
flagpole

operating_system: Windows 10
motherboard: dell inspiron 546
processor: Athlon X4 640
ram: 8GB
Video Card: GTX 1050 Ti
sound_card: on board
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 2.6TB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: Dell 22" 1080p

Postby Forriner » Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:13 pm

Assuming you have a newish version of PSP:

You have both your new blank image and the client's logo open in the workspace.
Open the layers palette (menu View/palettes/layers -or- keyboard shortcut F8)
Activate the client's logo. The Layers palette will have a button for the image, usually labelled "background" if it's a single layer image.
Click and drag that button from the Layers palette onto your blank image (the cursor shows a little '+' for copy). The logo should be added as a new layer.
Forriner

motherboard: ASUS Z170M-PLUS
processor: Intel Core i5-6400
ram: 16 GB
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 1250 GB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: Samsung Syncmaster 2433 24" 1920 × 1080

Postby gsakatch » Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:17 pm

But you do have to have the other logo open first correct? You can't directly import it into an existing workspace?

If I have 7 different logos i want to build into 1 logo page, i have to open the other 7 files first. I can't just import them?
gsakatch

Postby flagpole » Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:01 pm

gsakatch wrote:But you do have to have the other logo open first correct? You can't directly import it into an existing workspace?

If I have 7 different logos i want to build into 1 logo page, i have to open the other 7 files first. I can't just import them?

Yes. You need to open them one by one or all at the same time.

There is no way to load and insert an image at the same time. As far as I know. I've never found out to be a problem.
Last edited by flagpole on Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
flagpole

motherboard: dell inspiron 546
processor: Athlon X4 640
ram: 8GB
Video Card: GTX 1050 Ti
sound_card: on board
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 2.6TB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: Dell 22" 1080p

Postby JoeB » Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:02 pm

That is correct. In PSP there is no option that imports an image and automatically pastes as a new layer onto an open image in the workspace.
Regards,

JoeB
Using PSP 2018, 32-bit
JoeB

operating_system: Windows 8.1
motherboard: LENOVO 4524PE4 ThinkCentre M91p
processor: 3.10 gigahertz Intel Quad Core i5-2400
ram: 8 GB
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 4.6 TB
Corel programs: PSP 9, X7 to 2018, 32 & 64-bit

Postby gsakatch » Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:25 pm

Good to know. Im just trying to figure out some new workflows with the program change. Lots more questions to come. Once i get the method down i think psp can certainly replace photoshop for my needs.

Like i said most of what i need it for is to prep logos or other keyable items for use in video.
gsakatch

Postby LeviFiction » Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:34 pm

You can't open as a layer from the open menu. But you can drag and drop an image as a new layer. You have to have either the Organizer open or windows explorer or similar drag & drop allowed system. Then you just drag it in and it opens as a new layer. The trick is to drag it onto the layers palette and not directly onto the image.

There are also scripts such as this one (Open as layer) that do the open, copy, and paste, options for you. It's not a direct open as layer option but it does work. Originally conceived for a friend of mine.
Open As Layer Script - https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B8FlF ... lRicU1TZUU You install this script by unzipping it into your scripts-trusted folder.

Here is a video of all options as I know them: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1EgK3vK ... CbsSL/view

The video demonstrates all of the options:
1) Drag from Organizer Palette - can drag one image or multiple images as separate layers
2) Drag from Windows Explorer - can drag one image or mulitple images as separate layers
3) Drag from Firefox (also works with chrome) download list - I can only drag one image at a time from this list
4) Using script for one image
5) Using script for multiple images
LeviFiction
Advisor

Corel programs: PSP (Installed): XI, X7, X8,X9

Postby gsakatch » Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:10 pm

Excellent info thanks
gsakatch