NEW! Corel PaintShop Pro 2018

PSPx8 and Topaz Studio

Corel Paint Shop Pro

Moderator: trueblue

PSPx8 and Topaz Studio

Postby brucet » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:39 am

I'm having issues with the 'new' Topaz Studio and was looking to see if I'm alone or not.

Topaz Studios is the 'new' platform for Topaz plugins. It installs and loads just like any other plugin.
I have installed Studio just fine. It works just fine. EXCEPT for Impressions. (Not to be confused with the old Impressions 2 which is a separate plugin). I can invoke Studio. Use all of its features except for Impressions. If I try to use Impressions my computer sloooowwwwwssss wwwaaaaayyyy down. Task Manager shows it using over 6gig of memory.

I have been told by Topaz that I need to up grade the GPU on my computer. Even though I told them it was a laptop and can't be upgraded. (Single mother board and no expansions slots). Everything works fine on my i5 laptop except for Impressions in Studio. My main editor is Photoline and it has the same issue.

Can someone please tell me how Impressions under Studio is working with PSP. Preferably PSPx8.

regards
brucet

operating_system: Windows 8.1
System_Drive: C
32bit or 64bit: 64 Bit
ram: 8GB

Re: PSPx8 and Topaz Studio

Postby rondo » Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:00 pm

Topaz Studio plugin with Impressions on PSPX6 & X9 works fine for me but I have a Nvidia graphics card on main PC. Have not put Studio on my laptop with only Intel Hd graphics, as I'm not sure I like it. The Impressions stand alone plugin works fine on my laptop with Intel HD graphics and if you want to use Studio you can access your stand alone Impressions plugin from it if Impressions in Studio is too slow. I think the system requirements for Studio is a big mistake for Topaz as it requires more than most laptop users have. See link for GPU info-
https://help.topazlabs.com/hc/en-us/art ... d-Hardware

Slim chance you could try updating your GPU driver from Intel and see if that helps.
rondo

operating_system: Vista Home Premium
motherboard: Gigabyte
processor: Intel Quad Core Q9550
Video Card: Nvidia 660
sound_card: creative x-fi
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 1TB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: Asus ProArt

Postby brucet » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:35 pm

Thanks. I've tried to upgrade the driver but the Intel site says my system is as up to date as it can be.

Topaz openly admit they are targeting just the top end users. I've had a rather long conversation with them and their only solution is for me to get new hardware. They are not interested in the 'average' user. I'm paraphrasing but in a nut shell if you want to use the Topaz Studio route then be aware of their hardware requirements.

I like the Studio concept. I like Topaz plugins. They work well with PSP. But Topaz will loose the mass market with their business plan.

regards
brucet

Postby rondo » Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:41 am

I totally agree brucet, I've been hammering away at Topaz about these various Studio issues in their Discussion forum- they seem convinced they are right. We'll see.
http://discuss.topazlabs.com/t/issues-w ... io/2509/21

Anyway, I also found on my laptop that the Intel Updater also said no updates available, but another Topaz user pointed out the program was outdated and a new version of Intel updater is available which I may try- https://downloadcenter.intel.com/downlo ... -Assistant
rondo

Postby brucet » Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:33 am

Topaz know they have an issue but say they are targeting just high end users. The rest of us aren't important. 'Paraphrasing' I was told that if I wasn't using high end hardware then I wasn't an 'average' user!!!!!

I think the person communicating on their forum is doing Topaz a disservice with many of the responses given.

At least PSP runs Studio. Unlike some other editors. The only 'real' issue is with Impressions within Studio.

regards
brucet

Postby rondo » Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:25 pm

I read all of your posts on the Topaz forum- you got Joe to finally disclose what the whole Studio push is about, which is a shame for longtime users of Topaz stand alone plugins. I believe he said Studio is 95% GPU and 5% CPU- and that they are appealing to a niche market- well good luck to them staying in business.
On1 has them beat on requirements and features compared to Studio. And there are so many other good commercial photo editing and effects programs out there that will work fine on an average system- you mentioned several in your Topaz forum posts as well.
As they add more plugins to Studio there will no doubt be issues as with Impressions-
I gave up on Studio after the Impressions update as I don't have time or patience to download a new version every few weeks and then beg Topaz for help to get the plugins registered or keep it from crashing. I only tried it to get the updated versions of various plugins- I just don't see myself using it as I can do most of what it does in PaintShop Pro without the complexities and hassles.
My reason for liking and using their plugins is that they are one of the few companies whose commercial plugins worked well in PaintShop Pro.
rondo

Return to Paint Shop Pro