NEW! Corel PaintShop Pro 2018

PSP2018 Crop tool lost the lines for third rule etc.

Corel Paint Shop Pro

Moderator: trueblue

PSP2018 Crop tool lost the lines for third rule etc.

Postby Trilliana » Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:32 pm

Hello,

I'm using PSP 2018 pretty much since several weeks now, both 32-/64-bit versions. It does have some minor problems I can live with, like having to load my workspace manually after each start), but since yesterday the crop tool does display only the rectangle, without any auxiliary (or reference or whatever) lines for thirds rule, golden section etc. Somewhere by changing from triangles back to third rule I guess (not shure about that) the lines disappeared, and they don't show up again whatever I try. This is a problem in both versions, 32-/64-bits (anyhow, it seems the settings, last used settings etc. are common).

Does anybody experience this?

It seems I'll have to uninstall and re-install the whole program to fix this, very annoying :cry:

My system:
Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-bit
PSP 2018 20.2.0.1 (IOW original PSP +official Update)
16 GB RAM
Have a nice day /evening /night
Trilliana
Trilliana

operating_system: Windows 7 Ultimate
System_Drive: C
32bit or 64bit: 64 Bit
ram: 16GB
Video Card: nVidia GeForce GT630
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 2TB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: EIZO EV2303W

Re: PSP2018 Crop tool lost the lines for third rule etc.

Postby JoeB » Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:56 pm

Trilliana wrote:Hello,

I'm using PSP 2018 pretty much since several weeks now, both 32-/64-bit versions. It does have some minor problems I can live with, like having to load my workspace manually after each start),

You should not have to manually load your customized workspace every time your start PSP. If you started using PSP with the Complete workspace and then customized that workspace and saved the customized workspace with a name, then after exiting PSP it should always start with that workspace loaded. When you start PSP does it open with the Welcome screen or with either Manage or Edit? I don't know if allowing PSP to start with the Welcome screen makes a difference but I set mine (in Preferences) to open with Edit.

but since yesterday the crop tool does display only the rectangle, without any auxiliary (or reference or whatever) lines for thirds rule, golden section etc. Somewhere by changing from triangles back to third rule I guess (not shure about that) the lines disappeared, and they don't show up again whatever I try. This is a problem in both versions, 32-/64-bits (anyhow, it seems the settings, last used settings etc. are common).

When you have the Crop tool active, right click on the image and it will bring up a context menu with options for different grids. Do you see those options? If so, which one has a checkmark beside it. If you click beside Rule of Thirds it should add a checkmark beside it and that should become the default grid you see.
Regards,

JoeB
Using PSP 2018, 32-bit
JoeB

operating_system: Windows 8.1
motherboard: LENOVO 4524PE4 ThinkCentre M91p
processor: 3.10 gigahertz Intel Quad Core i5-2400
ram: 8 GB
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 4.6 TB
Corel programs: PSP 9, X7 to 2018, 32 & 64-bit

Postby Ken Berry » Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:04 pm

Trilliana wrote:It seems I'll have to uninstall and re-install the whole program to fix this, very annoying

Before uninstalling, you should first try resetting the program to its default settings by holding down the Shift key when clicking on the desktop PSP icon to open it. Since you obviously have your customized workspace saved, I don't have to tell you to make sure the workspace is saved before resetting PSP.

But try that and see if reopening your customized workspace now isn't required every time you open PSP, and that your 'old' crop tool appearance is back to what you want.
Ken Berry
Ken Berry
Site Admin

operating_system: Windows 10
motherboard: Hewlett-Packard 2B0F
processor: Core i3-4130T 2.9 GHz
Video Card: NVidia GeForce 710A
sound_card: Realtek High Definition Audio
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 1 TB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: AOC 28" 1920 x 1080
Corel programs: VS X10; PSP 2018; MS3D; ASP 3

Postby Trilliana » Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:21 pm

You should not have to manually load your customized workspace every time your start PSP. If you started using PSP with the Complete workspace and then customized that workspace and saved the customized workspace with a name, then after exiting PSP it should always start with that workspace loaded. When you start PSP does it open with the Welcome screen or with either Manage or Edit? I don't know if allowing PSP to start with the Welcome screen makes a difference but I set mine (in Preferences) to open with Edit.

PSP starts with both Manage (the one with the Home symbol in the title bar) and Edit (I have 2 screens). Manage is on screen no. 2 (which is to my left), Edit on screen no. 1. If I go in the File menu, Workspace command, I see my workspace checked, but PSP displays the standard Edit screen. Could the 2 screens be the problem?

Anyhow, that's not such a big thing, it's a bit annoying, but I can live with it (hoping for the next patch :wink: ). And I certainly will try what Ken advised (thank you Ken, it's really good to know about an easy way to reset PSP!).

When you have the Crop tool active, right click on the image and it will bring up a context menu with options for different grids. Do you see those options? If so, which one has a checkmark beside it. If you click beside Rule of Thirds it should add a checkmark beside it and that should become the default grid you see.

JoeB, you made my day, thank you very much!! :lol: This did it indeed. I didn't think of a context menu, I always use the small tool bar with the formats, and changing the grid there didn't help.
Trilliana
Trilliana

Postby JoeB » Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:57 am

Trilliana wrote:PSP starts with both Manage (the one with the Home symbol in the title bar) and Edit (I have 2 screens). Manage is on screen no. 2 (which is to my left), Edit on screen no. 1. If I go in the File menu, Workspace command, I see my workspace checked, but PSP displays the standard Edit screen. Could the 2 screens be the problem?

I think you might have misunderstood me, or I'm misunderstanding you. When PSP opens and is finished opening, it can be showing one of three different screens. Whichever of those screens it shows it will still have three tabs at the top: A Home symbol on the left, a Manage tab in the middle, and an Edit tab on the right. If your preferences are to open PSP with the Welcome screen then that is the screen you would also see if you clicked on the Home symbol from any of the screens. If preferences are set to open with the Manage screen then it will open with the screen that shows the thumbnail images from whatever folder is selected in the Navigation column on the left of that screen. If PSP is set to open with the Edit screen then it will open with the PSP workspace, with toolbars, palettes, etc. PSP can only start with one of those screens active once it is loaded, and you then have to click one of the tabs at the top to change to one of the different screens. So the program does work as it should and a patch can't fix it if you have all of the settings correct and still can't get it to open in the Edit workspace with the workspace you had originally selected in the Welcome screen.

So when you first start PSP and it loads, which screen is active and showing on your computer?

I have attached an image of the Welcome screen in PSP2018. You'll notice that there is a column named Workspaces. I have clicked the radio button beside one of my saved personal workspaces. Also, in my Preferencs>Tabs I have selected the option for PSP to open with the Edit screen, NOT the welcome screen. So when I start PSP it opens with the Edit workspace, and that workspace uses the saved workspace that I had previously selected in the Welcome screen.
Attachments
welcome_screen2.gif
Regards,

JoeB
Using PSP 2018, 32-bit
JoeB

Postby Jean-Luc » Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:40 pm

JoeB wrote:
Trilliana wrote:
So when you first start PSP and it loads, which screen is active and showing on your computer?

I understant that Trilliana has two PHYSICAL screens. I'm right ?
http://www.paintshoppro.fr
Installed PSP Ultimate: X7, X8, X9 and 2018.
Jean-Luc

operating_system: Windows 10
motherboard: ASUS Computer N751J
processor: Intel i7-4710 HQ 2.50GHz
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 850M
sound_card: NVIDIA High Definition Audio
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 2 Tb
Monitor/Display Make & Model: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 850M
Corel programs: PSP X7, X8, X9, 2018

Postby Trilliana » Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:45 pm

Jean-Luc wrote:I understant that Trilliana has two PHYSICAL screens. I'm right ?

Yes, you're right, I have two monitors. I am very sorry about the misunderstanding.

And PSP really can start with two screens, it supports 2 monitors since X8 (AFAIK).
Trilliana
Trilliana

Postby JoeB » Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:29 pm

I'm still not sure if your PSP, when it opens, shows Welcome mode, Manage mode or Edit mode.
Regards,

JoeB
Using PSP 2018, 32-bit
JoeB

Postby Trilliana » Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:01 am

JoeB wrote:I'm still not sure if your PSP, when it opens, shows Welcome mode, Manage mode or Edit mode.

No Welcome mode. On one monitor it shows the Manage tab and on the second monitor the Edit tab. I wanted this so, and this really works. So when PSP opens I have on one monitor the manager, and on the other monitor the Edit tab, which is empty (no image file) until I choose an image to be processed.

I attached a picture showing the monitors with a freshly started PSP, just after the hourglass stops. The Edit tab shows the standard workspace, mine is without Materials palette and without Learning studio for ex. Though if I now open the File /Workspace menu, my workspace is shown as checked.
Attachments
20171109_014243.jpg
Trilliana
Trilliana

Postby JoeB » Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:11 am

Trilliana wrote:I attached a picture showing the monitors with a freshly started PSP, just after the hourglass stops. The Edit tab shows the standard workspace, mine is without Materials palette and without Learning studio for ex. Though if I now open the File /Workspace menu, my workspace is shown as checked.

So now that your workspace is shown as checked under the Edit tab>Preferences>Workspace, does that mean that the Edit window now opens with your customized workspace so that you don't have to reload it each time that you open PSP? I ask that because I'm not sure what you mean by saying that the Edit tab shows the "standard" workspace - that is, does it show the Essentials workspace, the default (original) Complete workspace without your customization, or the Complete workspace but with your customized toolbars, etc. If your customized workspace is not showing, if you click on the tab with the Home icon does that page show your customized workspace as selected in the radio button?

Another thing I'm not sure of (and perhaps someone can explain it to me) is why I don't see at least 2 tabs each of your screens. I would expect that, even having Manage on one monitor and Edit on the other there would still be the Home icon and Edit icon tabs showing on both monitors, assuming you unchecked the option to not show the Manage tab. In the picture I can only see the Home icon on the left monitor and the Home icon and Edit tab on the right monitor. Perhaps it's just the picture and I can't see the Edit tab on the left monitor because it is blending into the workspace color.
Regards,

JoeB
Using PSP 2018, 32-bit
JoeB

Postby Trilliana » Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:01 pm

JoeB wrote:So now that your workspace is shown as checked under the Edit tab>Preferences>Workspace, does that mean that the Edit window now opens with your customized workspace so that you don't have to reload it each time that you open PSP?

As I wrote, the Edit tab shows the Materials palette and the Learning studio, both of which are not in my customized workspace. I guess this is then the default edit workspace, I used the term "standard" because I have here the german version, so I might not always find the exact english term. The Edit tab is definitely not my customized one - besides of the two palettes I have in my customized workspace much more icons on the tool bar, using almost the whole width of the monitor.

If your customized workspace is not showing, if you click on the tab with the Home icon does that page show your customized workspace as selected in the radio button?

Yes, it does show the Welcome screen with my customized workspace as selected, but the Edit tab stays as it was, showing the default workspace.

Another thing I'm not sure of (and perhaps someone can explain it to me) is why I don't see at least 2 tabs each of your screens. I would expect that, even having Manage on one monitor and Edit on the other there would still be the Home icon and Edit icon tabs showing on both monitors, assuming you unchecked the option to not show the Manage tab. In the picture I can only see the Home icon on the left monitor and the Home icon and Edit tab on the right monitor.

On the right monitor there is an arrow and the Edit tab, no Home icon. On the left there is only the Home icon. As to why this is so, and why there aren't two tabs, I really have no idea, and honestly, I don't even know what should be there in the first place. I guess I'm just happy with the two tabs showing on the 2 monitors like I want them. FYI: Clicking the arrow moves the Edit tab to the left monitor, thus displaying PSP on only one monitor with two tabs.

BTW, the X8 version does start correctly with the customized Edit tab, in the same configuration on the two monitors, Manage left, Edit right. And if I do recollect it correctly, after applying the first Update (the buggy one, as was stated by several users), PSP 2018 also started correctly with my customized workspace on the Edit tab. However, after all those warnings I did uninstall that version and install PSP from scratch, applying only the "official" final Update 1.

But as I said, I can live with this as long as more important features work correctly.
Trilliana
Trilliana

Postby JoeB » Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:32 pm

Thanks for clarifying. I'm afraid I don't have any more suggestions because, if your customized workspace is selected on the Welcome screen and shown checked in Preferences>Workspaces then it should load with PSP. I guess it must be specific to your system because nobody else has reported that problem - at least not yet.
Regards,

JoeB
Using PSP 2018, 32-bit
JoeB