NEW! Corel PaintShop Pro 2018

Possible to clone X9 to new PC?

Corel Paint Shop Pro

Moderator: trueblue

Possible to clone X9 to new PC?

Postby Jan Shim » Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:15 am

This might have been asked before but I did a search and found nothing. I'm running X9 and am currently building a new PC. Plan is to migrate everything from the old PC to the new one. I've spent a long time customizing my photo editing software, PSP X9 being the most customized and I would hate to have to do everything from scratch all over again. The new PC is also running Windows 7 (like the present). Is there a way to clone everything from one to the other and have it up and running with no issues?
Jan Shim

operating_system: Windows 7 Home Premium
System_Drive: C
32bit or 64bit: 64 Bit
motherboard: ASUS ROG Maximus V GENE
processor: Core i7-3770K 4.4GHz
ram: 16GB
Video Card: nVidia GeForce 2GB GTX 660
Monitor/Display Make & Model: Dell UltraSharp U2713H

Re: Possible to clone X9 to new PC?

Postby LeviFiction » Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:46 pm

Not everything. But a lot of it, yes.

1) File -> Workspaces -> Save
2) Use my preferences backup script - this will backup most of your preferences to a file in you workspaces folder (but not file locations) - viewtopic.php?f=104&t=56858#p308506
3) Backup the folder "C:\Users\YourUserName\Documents\Corel PaintShop Pro\X9 (this has all of your self made items including your recently saved workspace and preferences file from above
4) Open "Regedit" your registry editor and navigate to - Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Corel\PaintShop Pro\X9\FileLocations Right-click on FileLocations and hit Export

When you are ready to re-import everything on your new computer

1) Install and run PSP once so that it creates all of the necessary files an folders
2) Copy your backup of Documents\Corel PaintShop Pro\x9 on to the new computer in the same location
3) Use my Load Preferences script - this will reload in your main preferences (not file locations or default startup tab)
4) Close PSP. And double click on the registry file you exported in step 4 above, this should restore the file locations for you
5) File -> Workspaces -> Load to reload the rest of your customization

You should now have a near identical copy of your current setup.

The order of events is semi-important in restoring the backups. You need to make sure you have all of the files and file locations set back up before reloading the workspace. So If you've added other external file locations you'll also want to restore those as well. Such as plugins or a separate "My PSP Files" folder if you're still making use of it.
LeviFiction
Advisor

operating_system: Windows 10
Corel programs: PSP (Installed): XI, X7, X8,X9

Re: Possible to clone X9 to new PC?

Postby Jan Shim » Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:09 am

Thank you for your help. I ended up doing everything manually because of an oversight. The new PC has a different username and that resulted in mismatched File Locations which resulted in none of the scripts working. Had to add them back manually and so forth. It's sorted now and all in all a good exercise and experience.
Jan Shim

operating_system: Windows 7 Home Premium
motherboard: ASUS ROG Maximus V GENE
processor: Core i7-3770K 4.4GHz
ram: 16GB
Video Card: nVidia GeForce 2GB GTX 660
Monitor/Display Make & Model: Dell UltraSharp U2713H

Return to Paint Shop Pro