NEW! Corel PaintShop Pro 2018

Edit Screen dialog

Corel Paint Shop Pro

Moderator: trueblue

Edit Screen dialog

Postby gordonramp » Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:41 am

Is there a way to turn off this dialog that appears every time you enter the edit screen? Thanks.
gordonramp

operating_system: Windows 7 Home Premium
System_Drive: C
32bit or 64bit: 64 Bit
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 120gb
Monitor/Display Make & Model: Samsung
Corel programs: PSP

Re: Edit Screen dialog

Postby LeviFiction » Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:16 pm

It's part of the workspace background. It's meant to make PSP more use friendly. As far as I know, no there is no way to turn it off.
LeviFiction
Advisor

operating_system: Windows 10
Corel programs: PSP (Installed): XI, X7, X8,X9

Postby JoeB » Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:27 pm

LeviFiction wrote:It's part of the workspace background. It's meant to make PSP more use friendly. As far as I know, no there is no way to turn it off.

Personally I don't find it more user friendly. For example, it says to drag a photo or image file here for editing. To start with, it doesn't say from where (e.g., File Explorer, Organizer?). I rarely "drag" a file anywhere. In PSP I almost always use Manage to select files and then the Edit tab, but may sometimes use the Open option in the Menu bar. From Windows File Explorer I either double-click files associated with PSP or right-click to open in PSP. In other words, for a newbie to PSP this opening workspace basically indicates that there is only one way to open a file to edit it in the workspace and that's by dragging it from somewhere unspecified. I just find it irritating.
Regards,

JoeB
Using PSP X7 and 2018, 32-bit
JoeB

operating_system: Windows 8.1
motherboard: LENOVO 4524PE4 ThinkCentre M91p
processor: 3.10 gigahertz Intel Quad Core i5-2400
ram: 8 GB
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 4.6 TB
Corel programs: PSP 9, X7 to 2018, 32 & 64-bit

Postby hartpaul » Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:54 pm

That does not worry me at all. But then I am not worried by a few drops of water on a table, a tilted picture on a wall , or any other OCD vagaries. It is muted and does not really cause a problem such that something has to be closed before you can proceed.
A quick way of hiding it is to load a picture and then it is not visible.
I am always dragging pictures onto the workspace and that is a feature I look for when testing any new graphics program. If it does not allow dragging multiple images from windows explorer I will not consider it.
I rarely use the Open button, or File Open, or the Organizer in Manage or Edit mode.

When working on a number of images from different storage folders or drives, I will copy them from the archive storage into a working folder on the desktop and since that is open, it is easier to drag required images onto an open PSP workspace process and do a Save By hitting the X (close image button) and then hit the Enter key to accept the overwrite. If I want to do a series of progressive saves then I do a Save As and change the name slightly eg add mod1, mod2, etc to end of file.
I also use a number of external storage drives for images so using File > Open or the Open button would always involve some degree of excessive navigation depending on which drives I connect or have active and in which order.
By using a working desktop folder it is always available, even without connecting the external drives, and there is no risk that I will overwrite an archive file.
When finished processing I can set up a new sub-folder folder eg PSPpalettes or PSPedit Gradients in my PSP Forums main desktop folderand drag the completed images into that sub-folder.
ie I keep a copy of all the images I have added to the Corel PSP forum in case I need them again.
Systems XP, Win7, Win 8.1,Win 10 Version 1703 Build 15063.413
hartpaul
Advisor

operating_system: Windows 10
32bit or 64bit: 32 Bit
motherboard: AsusTex P7P55D
processor: IntelCore I 5 2.67 Ghz
ram: 2.99 Gb
Video Card: Nvidia GeForce GTX 460
sound_card: Nvidia High Definition Audio
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 2000 Gb
Monitor/Display Make & Model: BenQ T2200HD
Corel programs: PSP8,X2 to X9,2018

Postby gordonramp » Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:21 pm

Yes, I like to start a creation by looking at a blank screen.. not a repeating message that I got the first time I looked at it.
gordonramp

operating_system: Windows 7 Home Premium
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 120gb
Monitor/Display Make & Model: Samsung
Corel programs: PSP

Postby JoeB » Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:42 pm

Everybody has their own workflow. :-) My PSP fills the screen. Dragging/dropping from elsewhere just doesn't conveniently work for me. If I'm going to select images from one of the sub-folders in my My Pics folders it's just as easy - actually easier - to select them in Manage (just a tab away in PSP and basically just an incorporation of Explorer AND opens in my usual image folders) and click the Edit tab as it is to have to open File Explorer, find the folders, select then drag, or to access the desktop, etc. Not to mention that the thumbs in Manage are much larger than those in Explorer, giving me a better chance of deciding which of several shots of a scene, person, etc., I'm more likely to want to edit for future use. And I certainly can't tell that from the file names my camera puts on the files which show up - usually wrapped, as are renamed files - with basically small thumbs in Explorer.

But my main complaint was just about the message on the empty workspace itself, which implies that the way to load an image to edit it is to drag and drop it, when in fact there are multiple ways to do so.
Regards,

JoeB
Using PSP X7 and 2018, 32-bit
JoeB

operating_system: Windows 8.1
motherboard: LENOVO 4524PE4 ThinkCentre M91p
processor: 3.10 gigahertz Intel Quad Core i5-2400
ram: 8 GB
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 4.6 TB
Corel programs: PSP 9, X7 to 2018, 32 & 64-bit