NEW! Corel PaintShop Pro 2018

Waaaaaay Too Many Fonts.

Corel Paint Shop Pro

Moderator: trueblue

Waaaaaay Too Many Fonts.

Postby Muriel » Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:44 am

Good Evening!

I had/have far too many fonts in PSP X9 running on Windows 8.1, so tonight I decided to bite the bullet and cull them. I should have known I would end the evening here.. :lol:

I located the folder where they are live, and happily 'hid' the excess and duplicated files, thinking perhaps too optimistically that they would no longer show up in the program. Well.. that I was wrong. The 'hidden' grayed out fonts happily pop up in the dropdown list in the program. I note that the fonts in languages other than English are hidden by default, so why are the ones I hide still showing up?

Is there any way I can prevent them from doing this?

Many thanks..
Muriel

operating_system: Windows 8
System_Drive: C
32bit or 64bit: 64 Bit

Re: Waaaaaay Too Many Fonts.

Postby LeviFiction » Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:34 pm

This is more or less a Windows issue. The only way to stop these from appearing is to uninstall them. And you'll want to make sure you don't uninstall any system critical fonts.

The hide fonts feature first appeared in Windows 7, but it only works if the program is using very specific Windows controls. If they built their own Font selectors, like PSP, it'll still list the fonts even though they are hidden. And as far as I know Windows has not released an API callback that lets programs like PSP determine if a font is hidden. If they did then it's PSP's fault for not making use of it. But, again, I don't think Windows has. When PSP calls the API EnumFontFamiliesEx() Windows will return all fonts even hidden ones.

There is a registry key that lists inactive fonts, but it only shows up if the user has opened the fonts folder. And I'm unsure if the developers are even aware of this.

No, the only option to clear them out of PSP is to uninstall them from Windows.
LeviFiction
Advisor

operating_system: Windows 10
Corel programs: PSP (Installed): XI, X7, X8,X9

Postby Muriel » Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:50 am

Thank-you so much, LeviFiction!

I more or less suspected something similar, but thought it cannot hurt to get the take on it from the Great Minds that hang out here. I never cease to be amazed at the talent I can tap into in this forum..
Muriel

Postby Radim » Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:34 am

I asked for a "new" PaintShop 2018 a year ago a feature as CorerDRAW 2016/2017 has: to hide fonts I do not use or make a favorites fonts list to show only those. Seems like it does not get place in PSP 2018... :?
Radim

32bit or 64bit: 32 Bit

Postby jjangfree » Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:14 pm

Keep minimun fonts in WINDOWNS FONTS directory.
http://windowssecrets.com/forums/showth ... many-fonts!
It works with WIN10 RS2 1703 too. but, beware of base font removal if your system language is NON-LATIN.

When many fonts are needed, Run font manage software like Nexus Font as a scriptbounding. :)
jjangfree

operating_system: Windows 7 Professional
motherboard: BIOSTAR AM3 A770E3
processor: AMD PenomII X4 Propus 840
ram: 12GB
Video Card: Radeon HD 6850
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 2TB
Corel programs: PSP X9

Return to Paint Shop Pro