NEW! Corel PaintShop Pro 2018

How to Stop Ad Popups?

Corel Paint Shop Pro

Moderator: trueblue

How to Stop Ad Popups?

Postby TwoRails » Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:58 pm

Hi All.

I'm not talking about any ads when entering or leaving PSP X6 64, but the popup that keeps coming up by the notification area even when I haven't used the program in weeks.

I Googled the heck out of this and all I can find is how to stop the in-program ads, which I don't mind at all.

Any ideas on how to stop this incessant popup?
TwoRails

operating_system: Windows 7 Professional
System_Drive: C
32bit or 64bit: 64 Bit
motherboard: Asus P8P67
processor: i7-2600
ram: 16GB
Video Card: GeForce GTX 560 Ti
sound_card: RealTek
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 2TB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: View Sonic P220f

Re: How to Stop Ad Popups?

Postby LeviFiction » Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:07 pm

The notifications area ads can be turned off in the same place as the regular ads. Help -> Message Preferences

You should see "keep me informed" and "Automatically download" checkboxes. And a dropdown for showing ads in the notifications area.

notifications.jpg

If you don't see that third option, and only if you don't see that third option. Close PSP and open it back up with the same administrator account as you used to install it. (right-click run as administrator) Even if you are already on the administrator account keep in mind Windows runs all programs in decreased permissions.
LeviFiction
Advisor

operating_system: Windows 10
Corel programs: PSP (Installed): XI, X7, X8,X9

Postby TwoRails » Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:49 am

Sadly, I don't have those options in X6. What I have is below. What else can I try?

PSP X6 Help Menu.jpg
PSP X6 Help Menu.jpg (25.82 KiB) Viewed 5950 times

PSP X6 Message Window.jpg
TwoRails

Postby LeviFiction » Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:07 am

Ah, PSPx6 must still have been using the Corel Guide then. I don't remember the details but here is an old knowledge base article on it.

https://support.corel.com/hc/en-us/arti ... ntShop-Pro
LeviFiction
Advisor

Corel programs: PSP (Installed): XI, X7, X8,X9

Postby TwoRails » Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:44 pm

LeviFiction wrote:Ah, PSPx6 must still have been using the Corel Guide then. I don't remember the details but here is an old knowledge base article on it.

https://support.corel.com/hc/en-us/arti ... ntShop-Pro

Success. Thanks!

For your FYI and others who may have a similar problem:

I couldn’t find the User Guide mentioned in the link; only the online User Guide PDF in the help menu as shown above. So I viewed the PDF and all it says is you can download the PDF (!?). I noticed that the images in the link are for X4 and X5.

I have VideoStudio X9 Ult installed, so I look in there, too. All I have is the same as the above attachments.

Then I remembered I also have VideoStudio X10 Ult installed (I don’t use it much as it blows up more than not), and bingo!, I have the options you show in your first post.

So I turned off the option to show ads at the Notification Area.
TwoRails

Postby TwoRails » Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:06 am

Well... I guess I spoke to soon. I just fired up the computer and I'm still getting the popup ads.

Any ideas?
TwoRails

Postby flagpole » Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:58 am

TwoRails wrote:Well... I guess I spoke to soon. I just fired up the computer and I'm still getting the popup ads.

Any ideas?

Disable all the tasks from corel in the task scheduler. Or delete/rename the target of the task. (called CUH.exe, typically located in C:\Program Files (x86)\Corel\CUH\v2\)

Image1.png

It may reoccur if you have cause to reinstall or repair, perhaps a service pack.

we need something pinned about this because it's asked every other day.

And Corel, seriously, you think people, or your paying customers, as they are also known, want something that displays ads when they're not even running the app? It's beyond ridiculous. The app is now classified as PUP (Potentially Unwanted Program,) or adware.
Last edited by flagpole on Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
flagpole

motherboard: dell inspiron 546
processor: Athlon X4 640
ram: 8GB
Video Card: GTX 1050 Ti
sound_card: on board
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 2.6TB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: Dell 22" 1080p

Postby Klapoham » Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:12 am

flagpole wrote:
TwoRails wrote:Well... I guess I spoke to soon. I just fired up the computer and I'm still getting the popup ads.

Any ideas?

Disable all the tasks from corel in the task scheduler. Or delete/rename the target of the task. (called CUH.exe, typically located in C:\Program Files (x86)\Corel\CUH\v2\)

Image1.png

It may reoccur if you have cause to reinstall or repair, perhaps a service pack.

And Corel, seriously, you think people, or your paying customers, as hey are also known, want something that displays ads when they're not even running the app? It's beyond ridiculous. The app is now classified as PUP (Potentially Unwanted Program,) or adware.

Agree 100%, it's kind of annoying:/
Klapoham

System_Drive: D

Postby TwoRails » Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:28 pm

flagpole wrote:

Any ideas?

Image1.png

And Corel, seriously, you think people, or your paying customers, as they are also known, want something that displays ads when they're not even running the app? It's beyond ridiculous. The app is now classified as PUP (Potentially Unwanted Program,) or adware.

This seems to have worked. After disabling the tasks I still got an occasional popup for about a week, but none since. Thanks.
TwoRails

Postby funkyjive » Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:24 pm

We should never be faced with trawling through such steps to actively block ad intrusions upon our own systems - particularly when we've already indicated a wish not to receive them, including updates or otherwise. It's so easily avoided, but sadly Corel marketing choose otherwise.

I have however blacklisted *\CUH.exe in my laptop security software. Let's see if Corel updates attempt any further workarounds - much in the style of regular spam developers.

I shall report back.
funkyjive

System_Drive: N/A

Postby ZacWolf » Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:20 pm

funkyjive wrote:We should never be faced with trawling through such steps to actively block ad intrusions upon our own systems - particularly when we've already indicated a wish not to receive them, including updates or otherwise. It's so easily avoided, but sadly Corel marketing choose otherwise. much in the style of regular spam developers.

Wanted to go on record in total agreement. I received Corel Paint through a promotion with Intel. I've uninstalled Corel PaintShop and I've opened a case with Intel letting them know that they are distributing SpamWare.

Corel, this sort of behavior is completely unacceptable!
ZacWolf

Postby ovalseven » Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:34 am

flagpole wrote:we need something pinned about this because it's asked every other day

Yes. I was about to ask, but saw this thread before I did. I'm really surprised Corel is doing this. This is as bad as the apps that put ads on my phone's lock screen.

I'm seeing the popups even though I disabled them in Message Preferences. I tried deleting the entries in Task Scheduler. Hopefully that works.
ovalseven

operating_system: Windows 7 Ultimate
32bit or 64bit: 32 Bit
ram: 2GB

Postby TripleHeinz » Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:28 pm

TwoRails wrote:Sadly, I don't have those options in X6. What I have is below. What else can I try?

Althought I haven't tried this myself, this is what Corel has published in their Knowledge Base for pre PSPX9:

https://support.corel.com/hc/en-us/articles/115012433607#p1
To turn off or reduce the frequency of these messages, follow these steps:
1. Right-click the Corel Update Helper tray icon to open the Context menu.
2. Change the frequency of the updates or select “Never” in the “Check new updates” menu.

UPDATE: I just tried the above BUT..."There is no tray icon when the popup shows!!!". That's not fair play.
TripleHeinz

motherboard: Gigabyte GA-B85N-WIFI
processor: Intel Core i3-4330 [3.5 Ghz]
ram: 4 GB
Video Card: nVidia GeForce GTX 750 Ti [EVGA 02G-P4-3751-KR]
sound_card: Realtek ALC898
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 960GB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: LG E2360 [1920x1080p]
Corel programs: PSP (7, 9, X5, X7), VS (X7)

Postby AbeakerZ » Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:56 am

Thank you. I finally got irritated enough to come up here and look for an answer. I've been closing it by ending the blank window task in task manager.

This is really bad form on your part Corel. It will impact my decision on any future editing software purchase.
AbeakerZ

operating_system: Windows 7 Ultimate
System_Drive: Z

Return to Paint Shop Pro