NEW! Corel PaintShop Pro 2018

Wishlist for Paint Shop Pro 2019

Corel Paint Shop Pro

Moderator: trueblue

Wishlist for Paint Shop Pro 2019

Postby lata » Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:07 pm

Hi Guys

As always when a new version is released we provide a topic in which your wishes for the next version can be posted.

This allows us to direct any visiting Corel development staff to just one topic to see what users want rather than wading through a few hundred posts.

The previous wish list for X10 aka 2018 can be found here
viewtopic.php?f=56&t=60016#p330767
Regards Trevor
lata
Site Admin

operating_system: Windows 10
System_Drive: C
32bit or 64bit: 64 Bit
motherboard: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC A88XM-A USB 3 1 Rev X.0x
processor: 4.10 gigahertz AMD A10-7890K Radeon R7
ram: 16 gb
Video Card: on board
sound_card: Realtek High Definition Audio
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 500 SSD
Monitor/Display Make & Model: LG W2242 [Monitor]
Corel programs: Video Studio, PSP, PI X3, MS3D

Re: Wishlist for Paint Shop Pro 2019

Postby Zantara » Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:06 pm

* Being able to make your own toolbar visible to Essentials workspace. I love working in the clutterfree environment, but miss my costumised toolbar as that contains the most used functions.
Zantara

processor: i3-2100 3.10 Ghz
ram: 4Gb
Video Card: NVIDEA GeForce GT 540M
Corel programs: PSP X7/X8/X9 32-bit/2018-64-bit

Postby Radim » Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:45 pm

Zantara wrote:* Being able to make your own toolbar visible to Essentials workspace. I love working in the clutterfree environment, but miss my costumised toolbar as that contains the most used functions.

Seems like task for PSP 2018 Service Pack 1. :D
Radim

operating_system: Windows 8
32bit or 64bit: 32 Bit

Postby hartpaul » Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:22 pm

Make sure that all dialog windows accept the Enter key for the highlighted choice.

eg Adjust > Brightness and Contrast > Brightness/Contrast move a slider - the OK button is highlighted in blue . Press the Enter key accepts and closes the dialog. This is the accepted way that Windows and supported applications work.

Adjust > Brightness and Contrast > Levels move a slider and the OK button is highlighted in blue BUT pressing the Enter key does nothing.
Others that do not work are:
Adjust > Brightness and Contrast >Threshold

Effects > Photo Effects > Time Machine
Systems XP, Win7, Win 8.1,Win 10 Version 1607 Build 14393.1770
hartpaul
Advisor

motherboard: AsusTex P7P55D
processor: IntelCore I 5 2.67 Ghz
ram: 8 Gb
Video Card: Nvidia GeForce GTX 460
sound_card: Nvidia High Definition Audio
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 2000 Gb
Monitor/Display Make & Model: BenQ T2200HD
Corel programs: PSP8,X2 to X9,2018

Postby JoeB » Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:05 pm

Something we've asked for since the Jasc days and that I ask for in each of these yearly threads: Make it possible for us to be able to create CUSTOM ICONS for bound scripts! The extremely limited icons available make them next to useless for those of us using quite a few scripts that we add to toolbars - there's simply no way to identify what the script is used for with these icons unless you mouse over each one and wait for the tooltip to say what it is.

The fact that this hasn't been implemented after all of these years is ridiculous!
Regards,

JoeB
Using PSP X9 and 2018, 32-bit
JoeB

operating_system: Windows 8.1
motherboard: LENOVO 4524PE4 ThinkCentre M91p
processor: 3.10 gigahertz Intel Quad Core i5-2400
ram: 8 GB
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 4.6 TB
Corel programs: PSP 9, X7 to 2018, 32 & 64-bit

Postby Jacksond » Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:37 am

I would like to see a Mac version of Paint Shop Pro. Then I can dump Photoshop.
Jacksond

operating_system: Mac
ram: 32Gig

Postby Ken Berry » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:09 am

It's not going to happen. As far as I am aware, Corel makes none of its programs for Mac apart from AfterShot Pro, which worked with Mac and Linux before Corel took it over...
Ken Berry
Ken Berry
Site Admin

motherboard: Hewlett-Packard 2B0F
processor: Core i3-4130T 2.9 GHz
Video Card: NVidia GeForce 710A
sound_card: Realtek High Definition Audio
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 1 TB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: AOC 28" 1920 x 1080
Corel programs: VS X10; PSP 2018; MS3D; ASP 3

Postby flagpole » Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:36 pm

PNG8 support.

Just the ability to load images would be a start.
flagpole

motherboard: dell inspiron 546
processor: Athlon X4 640
ram: 8GB
Video Card: GTX 1050 Ti
sound_card: on board
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 2.6TB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: Dell 22" 1080p

Postby Khuri » Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:08 pm

I've got three wishes right now on top of my head:

1. Lock toolbars

The ability to customize the layout and dock the windows/palettes on screen is fine, BUT:

I'd love to see the possibility to not only DOCK windows/palettes but also to LOCK/ANCHOR toolbar positions.

Take the brush-tool toolbar as example. In the toolbar you have an input field for the brush size, as well as a tiny horizontal drag bar you can use instead of the number input box to assign the brush size.
If you now happen to not hit that bar, but somewhere else, then hold your mouse button and DRAG, expecting to drag the bar position, you end up dragging the whole toolbar.
Happens every other day to me...

Now if we could just lock toolbars in place as option, disabling their drag/drop ability, that would be a huge benefit imho! :)

2. New Layer style "outline"

Add a new layer style option "outline", which would simply draw a line around your current layers content with a selectable color and width. Similar to inner/outer glow, but without any blur and a minimum of 1px width possible.

3. Fix Layer style "Drop Shadow"

The X/Y coordinate fields are a mess! If you use your mouse' scroll wheel to change the numbers, it just switches from -1 to 0 and 1. It would be nice to have it use smaller steps instead! (either .1 or .01 steps)

Also, it is IMPOSSIBLE to enter a 2 digit negative value by default! (that's a bug actually!)
The field only allows 4 characters. So you can write "0.35" for example, but you can not write "-0.35".
To get a double digit negative number, you have to remove the leading 0 in front of the dot (or comma for germany).
Khuri

Postby hartpaul » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:26 pm

@Khuri

1.Lock Toolbars ..."as well as a tiny horizontal drag bar you can use instead of the number input box to assign the brush size....then hold your mouse button and DRAG, expecting to drag the bar position, you end up dragging the whole toolbar."
I stopped using that method when I discovered a more efficient way of resizing any brushes. Click once on any part of the size dialog then click in your image with the Alt key held down and drag up to make the size smaller and down to make the size larger.

2. New Layer style "outline" - there are a number of ways you can get a line around your object of any color and variable width and using the outer glow.
eg put an object on a transparent layer and select the image using magic wand and mode Opacity apply your outer glow with Size 100 and Opacity 100.
Merge the image then do Selections > Modify and choose your pixel size eg 5 pixels.
Then promote your layer and do Selections invert and hit delete key . You will now have an outline around your object of the color you chose and the pixel size chosen. Much of this could be recorded as a script to lead off from where you have a selected object - then apply script and finish with a fixed value outline.

3. Fix Layer style "Drop Shadow"
"Also, it is IMPOSSIBLE to enter a 2 digit negative value by default! (that's a bug actually!)"

This is the easiest to fix. Values go from -1 to + 1. Use your mouse wheel with the Control key held down and you can easily get -.35 and increment by .01 values.

Now unfortunately there are two posts in this thread yours and my answers that could have been best elsewhere as a separate post and that "bug" could have been asked in that separate post before declaring it here.
That way the wishlist would include only problems that have no work around .
Systems XP, Win7, Win 8.1,Win 10 Version 1607 Build 14393.1770
hartpaul
Advisor

motherboard: AsusTex P7P55D
processor: IntelCore I 5 2.67 Ghz
ram: 8 Gb
Video Card: Nvidia GeForce GTX 460
sound_card: Nvidia High Definition Audio
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 2000 Gb
Monitor/Display Make & Model: BenQ T2200HD
Corel programs: PSP8,X2 to X9,2018

Postby Khuri » Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:08 pm

hartpaul wrote:1.Lock Toolbars ..."as well as a tiny horizontal drag bar you can use instead of the number input box to assign the brush size....then hold your mouse button and DRAG, expecting to drag the bar position, you end up dragging the whole toolbar."
I stopped using that method when I discovered a more efficient way of resizing any brushes. Click once on any part of the size dialog then click in your image with the Alt key held down and drag up to make the size smaller and down to make the size larger.

The Brush size is just an example, I know about the ALT-key method :)

It applies to all the values though, not just brush size. The brush tool alone has 7 options that can be set using either numbers or the horizontal bars. And there's no hotkeys to set them, at least none that I know of.
Locking the toolbars would be of help. And I'm sure this could be implemented. Other programs offer the same.

hartpaul wrote:2. New Layer style "outline" - there are a number of ways you can get a line around your object of any color and variable width and using the outer glow.
eg put an object on a transparent layer and select the image using magic wand and mode Opacity apply your outer glow with Size 100 and Opacity 100.
Merge the image then do Selections > Modify and choose your pixel size eg 5 pixels.
Then promote your layer and do Selections invert and hit delete key . You will now have an outline around your object of the color you chose and the pixel size chosen. Much of this could be recorded as a script to lead off from where you have a selected object - then apply script and finish with a fixed value outline.

You're talking about a workaround. One that I am using quite often already.
Which is why on my "Wishlist" would be an option that would simply remove the need to do a workaround ;)

On the third part, the CTRL-Key variation I didn't know about. However, I think the layout tools could be improved in that way.
Khuri

Postby Cassel » Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:40 am

Jacksond wrote:I would like to see a Mac version of Paint Shop Pro. Then I can dump Photoshop.

Although it is not natively compatible, Alex wrote a post on using PSP on a Mac (interestingly, several Corel staff use Mac). Read it here:
http://scrapbookcampus.com/2014/12/gett ... -your-mac/
Cassel
http://creationcassel.com/store
Specializing in PSP specific products: scripts and tubes

http://scrapbookcampus.com
for beginner and seasoned scrappers and designers
Cassel

operating_system: Windows 7 Home Premium
ram: 8Gb
Corel programs: PSP 8 (JASC) to PSP X9

Postby Cassel » Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:43 am

Khuri wrote:2. New Layer style "outline"

Add a new layer style option "outline", which would simply draw a line around your current layers content with a selectable color and width. Similar to inner/outer glow, but without any blur and a minimum of 1px width possible.

There is a way around it:
- Select the element on your layer
- Selection > Modify > Select selection border - choose the settings you want (likely Outside)
- fill with the color you want.
Cassel
http://creationcassel.com/store
Specializing in PSP specific products: scripts and tubes

http://scrapbookcampus.com
for beginner and seasoned scrappers and designers
Cassel

operating_system: Windows 7 Home Premium
ram: 8Gb
Corel programs: PSP 8 (JASC) to PSP X9

Postby JoeB » Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:55 am

Cassel wrote:
Khuri wrote:2. New Layer style "outline"

There is a way around it:
- Select the element on your layer
- Selection > Modify > Select selection border - choose the settings you want (likely Outside)
- fill with the color you want.

And if it's something you do a lot, you can always add the Select Selections border onto the Selections dropdown so that you don't have to first go down to Modify and then, in that flyout, have to go to Select Selections border. Or put that command somewhere even more convenient if you want to.

There is a small bug, however. If the selection you are setting a selection border for is rectangular/square, if you create the border Outside rather than Inside, the corners of the outer border of the selection become rounded. It's the same thing that happens if you simple expand a rectangular selection without creating an actual border. The only workaround is to first expand the selection by the number of pixels you want your border to be (which will have rounded corners), then click the Create Selection From Current Selection button on the Tool Options bar (which will square up the corners), then create your border Inside the same number of pixels that you expanded the selection. I have a small script that saves a few clicks in achieving that goal.

This bug has existed since the JASC days. The only thing that's Corel's fault is that they haven't fixed it in all these years. :-) So MY WISH is that Corel would get its act in gear and correct this bug - and in a patch for 2018 would be nice!
Regards,

JoeB
Using PSP X9 and 2018, 32-bit
JoeB

motherboard: LENOVO 4524PE4 ThinkCentre M91p
processor: 3.10 gigahertz Intel Quad Core i5-2400
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 4.6 TB
Corel programs: PSP 9, X7 to 2018, 32 & 64-bit

Postby brucet » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:47 am

External Editor.
Allow the user to access 'other' programs. It works with plugins so why can't we use PSP as our preferred editor and flip to and from other programs.

regards
brucet

ram: 8GB

Next

Return to Paint Shop Pro