NEW! Corel PaintShop Pro 2018

What do you like in PSP 2018?

Corel Paint Shop Pro

Moderator: trueblue

Re: What do you like in PSP 2018?

Postby JoeB » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:55 pm

photodrawken wrote:(BTW, I'll always strongly disagree with your views about colour enhancement (and contrast enhancement, too). For me, it's absolutely critical to maintain the emotional feeling of the original subject. If the picture was taken on an overcast day, those quiet subtle colours must be preserved. Just my opinion, of course. :wink:

Just to clarify, probably a misunderstanding of the point I was trying to make. Based on your query, I was just saying that color/contrast enhancement were generally preferred to make an image look "sharper" over an actual sharpen tool because of the artifacts introduced by sharpen tools. In other words, contrast/color enhancements would be my preferred "sharpen" method, although not considered sharpening but properly done can give the perception of a sharper aspect to an image. I wouldn't want that to be taken as meaning that I would use it where it was inappropriate to the subject matter. As per your example, if that image needed sharpening I would not do color enhancement to give the effect of a sharper image, but I would try some Clarify to see how that worked. And I would, of course, use sharpening tools if necessary rather than trying to enhance colors because, of course, they would be muted in an overcast and/or misty/foggy environment.
Regards,

JoeB
Using PSP 2018, 32-bit
JoeB

operating_system: Windows 8.1
System_Drive: C
32bit or 64bit: 64 Bit
motherboard: LENOVO 4524PE4 ThinkCentre M91p
processor: 3.10 gigahertz Intel Quad Core i5-2400
ram: 8 GB
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 4.6 TB
Corel programs: PSP 9, X7 to 2018, 32 & 64-bit

Postby photodrawken » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:58 pm

JoeB wrote:Based on your query, I was just saying that color/contrast enhancement were generally preferred to make an image look "sharper" over an actual sharpen tool because of the artifacts introduced by sharpen tools.

OK, understood! :)
Ken
Yes, I think it can be eeeeeasily done...
Just take everything out on Highway 61.
photodrawken

operating_system: Windows 10
ram: 16Gb
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 324Gb

Postby JudyM » Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:39 am

Firstly, I was able to load my workspace [with all my customisations] from X9 without any problems.

I love the clone tool. Being able to line up clones accurately is a big plus.

The ability to change the node size in vector drawings is a great help when editing.

I was having problems with text on a path in X9 - none in this version :D I like the justification options for large blocks of text.

The tools all seem to be working faster.

I like those cross hairs now in the selection tool -although I can't say that I had problems lining up a selection before.

Many thanks for the many tips from contributors :D

Now a query- can I download a trial of 32 bit version as well as 64 bit? I was able to download the "PSP2018Installer_32bit.exe" file but I could go no further with installation. I'd like to try out my 32bit plugins.
JudyM

processor: 3.40 gigahertz Intel Core i5-4670
ram: 2048 MB
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 999.36 GB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: HP L1706
Corel programs: PSP 9,X, X4 - 2018

Postby JoeB » Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:02 am

JudyM wrote:Now a query- can I download a trial of 32 bit version as well as 64 bit? I was able to download the "PSP2018Installer_32bit.exe" file but I could go no further with installation. I'd like to try out my 32bit plugins.

I'm not sure but I think if you downloaded the trial version then it's only 64bit. If you downloaded a purchase version then you should have received an installer that gave you the option to select whether you wanted to install both the 32bit and 64bit versions, which will also show that option as the recommended option, rather than just either the 32bit or 64 bit.
Regards,

JoeB
Using PSP 2018, 32-bit
JoeB

operating_system: Windows 8.1
motherboard: LENOVO 4524PE4 ThinkCentre M91p
processor: 3.10 gigahertz Intel Quad Core i5-2400
ram: 8 GB
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 4.6 TB
Corel programs: PSP 9, X7 to 2018, 32 & 64-bit

Postby JudyM » Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:35 am

Thanks Joe!
Judy
JudyM

processor: 3.40 gigahertz Intel Core i5-4670
ram: 2048 MB
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 999.36 GB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: HP L1706
Corel programs: PSP 9,X, X4 - 2018

Postby bowserb » Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:34 pm

Can someone answer this? Is there a setting in 2018 to have the program DO NOTHING WITH COLOR MANAGEMENT? I use three monitors with profiles created by ColorMunki, and X9 automatically takes the Monitor 1 profile and applies it to all three, making photo editing impossible on my large center monitor. No matter whether the Enable Color Management box is checked or not, this happens when x9 starts, and I have to restart the computer to get the monitors right again. Photoshop CS6 (and prior) plus Photoshop CC and Adobe Lightroom do not mess with my monitor profiles. Why can't PSP leave them alone too?

So, rant is over, but I'm tired of sending Corel $80 or so every couple years just to find out they still don't understand that they need to leave my monitors alone! Thanks.
Bill
bowserb

operating_system: Windows 8 Pro
motherboard: Dell XPS
processor: Intel quad core
ram: 8GB
Video Card: ATI Radeon HD 3600
sound_card: Integrated on mobo
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 3TB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: Dell 19" x 3

Postby Kathy_9 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:02 pm

bowserb wrote:Can someone answer this? Is there a setting in 2018 to have the program DO NOTHING WITH COLOR MANAGEMENT?

File -> Color Management -> Color Management -> Un-check "enable color management"
Using PSP2018 version 20.2.0.1 Also installed versions X4 thru X9

http://www.flickr.com/photos/37153430@N03/
Kathy_9
Advisor

operating_system: Windows 7 Professional
motherboard: MSI 2A9C
processor: 2.80 gigahertz Intel Core i7 860
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GT 220
sound_card: NVIDIA High Definition Audio
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 750GB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: HP 2010i 20" HD Ready LCD
Corel programs: PSPX4 ~2018; DrawX5 Suite; Painter2018

Postby bowserb » Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:11 pm

File -> Color Management In-check "enable color management" is in X9 as well. It just doesn't work. Checked or not, the program applies the monitor one profile to all monitors. I was hoping to learn that maybe now it works.

Kathy, do you use multiple monitors and a profiling device like ColorMunki or Datacolor Spyder? If you use a single monitor, it's a moot point. Thanks for answering, though.
bowserb

operating_system: Windows 8 Pro
motherboard: Dell XPS
processor: Intel quad core
Video Card: ATI Radeon HD 3600
sound_card: Integrated on mobo
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 3TB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: Dell 19" x 3

Postby tomkinsrichard » Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:10 am

A lot more people are responding to this post. In addition to my negative thoughts about PaintShop Pro 2018, it's turning out that it's not, Pro that is.

I am serious when I say, Corel has to step up to plate and truly address the specific feature requests that other have posted on regular basis, practically annually, and so far, all that Corel has delivered is fluff.

I write documents and in that past have used two monitors, wowee, it's great. I know that people doing photographic work and illustration want their products to be colour accurate, and that means specific calibrated profiles for each monitor in the workflow.

Hey Corel management, are you listening yet?
tomkinsrichard

operating_system: Windows 7 Home Premium
motherboard: hp pavillion
processor: amd
ram: 4 gb
Video Card: radeon
sound_card: hp pavillion
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 500
Monitor/Display Make & Model: lcd

Postby Cassel » Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:37 am

JudyM wrote:Firstly, I was able to load my workspace [with all my customisations] from X9 without any problems.

Beware that this is NOT supposed to be the case. NEVER load a workspace from a previous version (or a later one for that matter) as each workspace includes information that is based on the specific tools and commands of that program version. Loading a workspace from a previous version means that you will NOT see anything related to new tools and you can get unwanted behavior of your loaded workspace. NEVER load another one, even if it LOOKS like it is working.
Cassel
http://creationcassel.com/store
Specializing in PSP specific products: scripts and tubes

http://scrapbookcampus.com
for beginner and seasoned scrappers and designers
Cassel

operating_system: Windows 7 Home Premium
ram: 8Gb
Corel programs: PSP 8 (JASC) to PSP X9

Postby Nev » Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:21 pm

Thank you all for your comments.

While I'm not a part of Corel's management team, all I can is, we at Corel are listening and monitoring feedback regularly.

As mentioned in my previous post or personal interactions with some of you, I cannot promise that we'll be able to address every issue or request cause we have a finite amount of resource. However, I can assure you that we've taken a (more) bottom-up approach in product development where we're delivering bug fixes and features based on user requests, usage analytics, and peer-to-peer task analyses. I would also add that we've worked directly with our users to design and review well over 95% of PSP2018's features and enhancements. Evidently, some features and enhancements were seemingly minute but it was crucial to allowing our users to work more accurately and efficiently. It was a part of PSP2018's philosophy of "You ask, We listened" and I hope to continue this mindset.

Anyhow, I've digressed. I just want to thank you for your constructive feedback. And yes, we're listening.

Best,
Neville Ko of behalf of the PSP Team
Nev
Corel

operating_system: Mac
System_Drive: N/A

Postby Nev » Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:30 pm

bowserb wrote:Can someone answer this? Is there a setting in 2018 to have the program DO NOTHING WITH COLOR MANAGEMENT? I use three monitors with profiles created by ColorMunki, and X9 automatically takes the Monitor 1 profile and applies it to all three, making photo editing impossible on my large center monitor. No matter whether the Enable Color Management box is checked or not, this happens when x9 starts, and I have to restart the computer to get the monitors right again. Photoshop CS6 (and prior) plus Photoshop CC and Adobe Lightroom do not mess with my monitor profiles. Why can't PSP leave them alone too?

So, rant is over, but I'm tired of sending Corel $80 or so every couple years just to find out they still don't understand that they need to leave my monitors alone! Thanks.
Bill

Hi Bowserb,

I tried contacting you via personal message (pm) on this forum but I didn't see a reply. Anyways, we cannot reproduce the issue as described in versions PSP 2018, X9.0 and X9.2. We used 1/ 2 / 3 monitors with Windows 7 /10, tried all combinations (had assigned 1 separated profile for each monitor), and the "disable color management" function seems to work properly without needing to reboot.

So we may need more info more you:
1. OS version (including build version if possible.)
2. OS bit version (32 bit/ 64 bit?)
3. Issue PSP version? (Please refer to attached screenshot as sample)
4. Issue PSP bit version (32 bit/ 64 bit)
5. System display adapter
6. System display adapter driver version (Windows bundled? display adapter official driver?)
7. What are the interfaces the 3 monitors connect to the system with? (Ex: Monitor1: Dell P2415Q(HDMI) / Monitor2: HP 27es(DVI) ...... )
8. If possible, can you provide a video of the issue?

You can reply by sending me a pm or directly in this thread.

Best,
nev
Nev
Corel

operating_system: Mac
System_Drive: N/A

Postby Trilliana » Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:56 pm

Hello,

after all the problems listed here back to the original subject :wink: .

After working several weeks I really do like two features. The one is the clone tool, being able to line up clones accurately saves me a lot of work. And then I
definitely like the possibility of saving the workflow as a log file, kind of substitute for a database à la PS & Lightroom. I guess I just have to change the extension to Pspscript to re-create a picture if it somehow gets lost or damaged (I always store all the TIFFs coming from Lightroom, resp. the Lightroom catalogue in a first workflow phase, then comes PSP to touch up, format and save as JPG). Or I can look up which plug-in I used to get that super-duper effect on a specific picture :wink: . A suggestion, AKA wish for this feature: It would be nice to automatically have the name of the image file as a default for the log file name.

And yes, there is also the crop tool with the different grids, not only Rule of Thirds. And the possibility to de-clutter the Tools tool bar.
Have a nice day /evening /night
Trilliana
Trilliana

operating_system: Windows 7 Ultimate
ram: 16GB
Video Card: nVidia GeForce GT630
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 2TB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: EIZO EV2303W

Postby mushigirl78 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:56 am

I upgraded from X5 so I see a ton of improvements!

I work with brushes a lot....so brushes larger than 999 px is a huge improvement. And the ability to import .abr brushes instead of having to convert them to a png and then creating the custom brush that way....LOVE!

The only thing I would love to see is a visual preview of the brushes in the brush variance palette with the settings you put in.

Thank you for all the improvements and I look forward to future versions!
mushigirl78

processor: Intel Celeron N3050
ram: 4 GB
Video Card: Intel HD Graphics
sound_card: Realtek High Definition Audio
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 500 GB HDD
Monitor/Display Make & Model: HP 15-f233wm
Corel programs: Corel Paint Shop Pro 2018

Postby gtojon » Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:30 am

Image size has been expanded again. X9 was 20,000 & now 2018 is 40,000 pixels :)

Cheers, Jon
gtojon

operating_system: Windows 7 Ultimate
motherboard: ASRock X99X
processor: i7 6850k
ram: 64gb
Video Card: Nvidia GTX 1080
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 40tb
Monitor/Display Make & Model: Samsung 55" 4k
Corel programs: PSPX9, Video Pro X7