NEW! Corel PaintShop Pro 2018

"No scanner found" in PSP8

Corel Paint Shop Pro

Moderator: trueblue

Re: "No scanner found" in PSP8

Postby Simone Corel UK » Thu Dec 31, 2015 8:08 am

@JackL
PSPX4 is a 32-bit program. Please launch PSPX8 as 32-bit program and see if the scanner is found.

@LeviFiction
Back then, I didn't say it was a Windows issue, but most drivers were no real TWAIN drivers. Most scanner manufacturers offer a 64-bit workaround.
PSP asks Windows -> Windows checks if there is a TWAIN driver -> TWAIN says yes/no -> Windows goes back to PSP and informs if TWAIN is available or not.

Twain website is down currently, so the twackers are not available. Running them would help to see if TWAIN detects the 64-bit scanner.
Twack_32.msi: http://www.twain.org/docs/530fe0db85f75 ... ack-32.msi
Twack_64.msi: http://www.twain.org/docs/530fe0db85f75 ... ack-64.msi
I work for the Corel UK Support. I will not give technical support through this forum and my answer is only related to this thread.
Simone Corel UK
Corel

operating_system: Windows 8
System_Drive: C
32bit or 64bit: 64 Bit

Postby Greybeard1952 » Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:45 am

I also found the 64 bit PSP X8 would not recognise the scanner in my Fuji Xerox Multi Function laser thing a me.
Yes I have tried installing the latest Fuji 64 bit drivers, to no avail.
Curiously the 32 bit version of PSP X8 has no problem at all recognising the same equipment.
I am running Win 10 Pro.
As the late Professor Julius Sumner Miller was known to often postulate..... Why is it so?
Any ideas, or do I resort to using the 32 bit PSP for scanning and the 64 bit for editing etc ?
Greybeard1952

operating_system: Windows 10
motherboard: lenovo
processor: intel i5 7200U 2.5Ghz
ram: 8Gb
Video Card: Intel HD Graphics 620
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 1Tb
Monitor/Display Make & Model: Lenovo ideapad laptop PnP monitor
Corel programs: PSP X8 Pro

Postby alexwent » Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:30 pm

What a joke. Yet another problem with post-X2 versions of Corel. I was persuaded (much against my better judgment, it seems) to upgrade to 2018. I have lost half the functionality, decent interfaces, driver support, that I had with X2. A crying shame.
alexwent

operating_system: Windows 7 Home Premium

Postby JoeB » Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:16 pm

Here's how it works for me with PSP2018 32-bit version and my Canon MP280 All-in-One printer/scanner with which I use Canon's Scan Gear software. When I was setting up PSP I first went to File>Import>Twain source, which showed two options: WIA -WIA Canon MP280, and Canon MP280. I selected the Canon MP280 option. When I want to scan the File>Import flyout gives me the options to import From Scanner or Camera and also TWAIN Acquire. If I choose From Scanner or Camera I get the basic WIA interface. If I choose TWAIN Acquire I get the Canon Scan Gear software interface with all of the options I have always had with Scan Gear software. Scan Gear is 32-bit software that runs on 32bit and 64bit OS's so of course will not show up in my 64bit version of PSP.
Regards,

JoeB
Using PSP X9 and 2018, 32-bit
JoeB

operating_system: Windows 8.1
motherboard: LENOVO 4524PE4 ThinkCentre M91p
processor: 3.10 gigahertz Intel Quad Core i5-2400
ram: 8 GB
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 4.6 TB
Corel programs: PSP 9, X7 to 2018, 32 & 64-bit

Postby JoeB » Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:46 pm

alexwent wrote:What a joke. Yet another problem with post-X2 versions of Corel. I was persuaded (much against my better judgment, it seems) to upgrade to 2018. I have lost half the functionality, decent interfaces, driver support, that I had with X2. A crying shame.

Obviously - given some of the responses, including mine - the inability to detect 32bit TWAIN drivers with 32bit versions of PSP is not an issue with everybody and likely not with most users. The fact that it works fine on different OS's for many of us is an indication that it's certainly not specifically a Corel issue. It could be various system compatibility issues, but in all likelihood the majority of issues are due to the different TWAIN drivers for the various scanner models from various different manufacturers. And I notice that some people mistakenly think that if the scanner software says it is 64bit then that means it is compatible with 64bit graphic software when, in fact, more often than not it simply means it is optimized for 64bit machines. At least on Canon's site where they offer Scan Gear X64 they warn that it can only be used with 32bit applications. From what I have seen there are fewer scanner drivers available that are actually compatible with 64bit applications than 32bit.

In your case, which scanner TWAIN software do you have that is not recognized by your 32bit version of PSP2018? It would be interesting to see if anyone else has that specific software and can't use it with their 32bit PSP versions.
Regards,

JoeB
JoeB

Postby Simone Corel UK » Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:23 am

Hi to all with a scanner issue

I just saw that my last reply was from 2015. What has happened since then?
TWAIN has given up, and the twack links don't work any more.
Windows 10 has been released.
There is no TWAIN working any more.
What worked under Windows 8 doesn't work under Windows 10, and for example Canon support said, "we don't support it, you need to do this other way".

When you scanned before, you opened PSP -> clicked on the scanner icon -> Windows got command to look for default scanner -> default scanner software opened -> you scanned the image -> it went into PSP.

This doesn't work any longer.

You open the scanner software - > in the scanner settings, you choose PSP to be the programs that opens the scanned image -> you scan the image -> PSP opens and the image is there.

Nothing complicated. If someone can't live with that, go back to Windows XP and work with your old software.
I work for the Corel UK Support. I will not give technical support through this forum and my answer is only related to this thread.
Simone Corel UK
Corel

Postby JoeB » Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:50 pm

Simone Corel UK wrote:Windows 10 has been released.
There is no TWAIN working any more.
What worked under Windows 8 doesn't work under Windows 10, and for example Canon support said, "we don't support it, you need to do this other way".

One of the main reasons I have clung to Windows 8.1 so tightly is because Windows 10 seems to have created some compatibility issues with a lot of different programs, not just PSP or TWAIN.

However, I should point out that back on Dec. 7, 2015 @JackL posted that he reinstalled his old PSPX4 on his Windows 10 system and it had no trouble finding his TWAIN driver. But his later versions of PSP could not find the drivers. Could that be because of the last few versions of PSP being more specifically optimized for Windows 10? It is a bit strange that his latest PSP versions on WIN 10 couldn't see the drivers but an earlier PSP version on the same OS could.

You open the scanner software - > in the scanner settings, you choose PSP to be the programs that opens the scanned image -> you scan the image -> PSP opens and the image is there.

Nothing complicated. If someone can't live with that, go back to Windows XP and work with your old software

As I mentioned, my scanner driver is Scangear, which opens for me when I click TWAIN acquire. However, there is no specific executable file for me to use to open the driver interface by itself, so if I was using WIN 10 this solution wouldn't work and that could be the case with some others. Furthermore, when I do get the Scangear interface after it opens with PSP there is no option to choose any program to open the scanned image. Luckily I don't need the workaround. :-)
Regards,

JoeB
JoeB

Postby Simone Corel UK » Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:57 am

@JoeB
Indeed, TWAIN isn't supported, and there is no need to have something in the program (the so-called bridge).
Simone Corel UK
Corel

Postby JoeB » Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:46 am

Simone Corel UK wrote:@JoeB
Indeed, TWAIN isn't supported, and there is no need to have something in the program (the so-called bridge).

I see. You were referring to standalone scanner software (VueScan being one example) rather than all scanner software. It's just that your reply with the workaround wasn't specific about that. :-)
Regards,

JoeB
JoeB

Postby Simone Corel UK » Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:29 am

I have never scanned in my life. I love my PSP and do all the images with it, but I haven't had a scanner.
But a friend of mine, she scans permanently.
Under Windows 8, new Canon scanner, she opened PSP, clicked on the icon, nothing happened. She called Canon support and they helped her to get the right driver and to set it up. Worked fine, and she scaned in the old way from inside PSP.
A few months later, she changes to Windows 10. Nothing works, she calls Canon Support. Canon Support says, "sorry, Windows 10, we don't do this any more, you need to do it the other way round. Enter PSP in the Canon settings and use the Canon software to scan."
Same window what she used under Windows 8, only she now uses the Canon window directly rather then that she opens PSP to get the Canon window opened.
Simone Corel UK
Corel

Postby JoeB » Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:28 pm

Simone Corel UK wrote:I have never scanned in my life. I love my PSP and do all the images with it, but I haven't had a scanner.
But a friend of mine, she scans permanently.
Under Windows 8, new Canon scanner, she opened PSP, clicked on the icon, nothing happened. She called Canon support and they helped her to get the right driver and to set it up. Worked fine, and she scaned in the old way from inside PSP.
A few months later, she changes to Windows 10. Nothing works, she calls Canon Support. Canon Support says, "sorry, Windows 10, we don't do this any more, you need to do it the other way round. Enter PSP in the Canon settings and use the Canon software to scan."
Same window what she used under Windows 8, only she now uses the Canon window directly rather then that she opens PSP to get the Canon window opened.

Having one some checking it appears that Canon might have a couple of interface programs - MF Toolbox and CanoScan Toolbox. I'm not sure if they are, in fact, standalone interfaces and won't be installing them because the actual driver works for me like I said previously. But for others (and also with different brands) there might be such UI's available also that work as Simone says and could be useful.
Regards,

JoeB
JoeB

Postby Jean-Luc » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:22 pm

Simone Corel UK wrote:Indeed, TWAIN isn't supported, and there is no need to have something in the program (the so-called bridge).

Than you Simone for your explanations .
But the following is strange : an user on the French forum is not able to scan with PSP 2018 (his scanner is an Epson). Previously, he could open PSP and scan with his scanner. Now, it it no more possible. But... he launched PhotoFiltre on the same computer and PhotoFiltre when scanning opens the same Epson scanner and the image is scanned and returns inside PhotoFiltre. How to explain to that user PSP 2018 cannot scan ?
Jean-Luc
http://www.paintshoppro.fr
Installed PSP Ultimate: X7, X8, X9 and 2018.
Jean-Luc

motherboard: ASUS Computer N751J
processor: Intel i7-4710 HQ 2.50GHz
ram: 16GB
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 850M
sound_card: NVIDIA High Definition Audio
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 2 Tb
Monitor/Display Make & Model: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 850M
Corel programs: PSP X7, X8, X9, 2018

Postby JoeB » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:37 pm

Jean-Luc wrote:
Simone Corel UK wrote:Indeed, TWAIN isn't supported, and there is no need to have something in the program (the so-called bridge).

Than you Simone for your explanations .
But the following is strange : an user on the French forum is not able to scan with PSP 2018 (his scanner is an Epson). Previously, he could open PSP and scan with his scanner. Now, it it no more possible. But... he launched PhotoFiltre on the same computer and PhotoFiltre when scanning opens the same Epson scanner and the image is scanned and returns inside PhotoFiltre. How to explain to that user PSP 2018 cannot scan ?
Jean-Luc

Just for clarification before Simone responds, when you say it is not possible for him to scan with PSP 2018 do you mean he can't scan using the Epson TWAIN interface or that he can't scan at all (for example, by choosing WIA as his scanning interface option he still can't scan?) And when he scans using PhotoFiltre does it use the Epson TWAIN interface or the more basic WIA interface?
Regards,

JoeB
JoeB

Postby Jean-Luc » Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:25 am

JoeB wrote:
Just for clarification before Simone responds, when you say it is not possible for him to scan with PSP 2018 do you mean he can't scan using the Epson TWAIN interface or that he can't scan at all (for example, by choosing WIA as his scanning interface option he still can't scan?) And when he scans using PhotoFiltre does it use the Epson TWAIN interface or the more basic WIA interface?

I'm asking confirmation what she does (seems to be "she" and not "he") ... And about PhotoFiltre too. Thank you for asking clarification. She said PSP "sees" the scanner via Twain (no via WIA) but cannot start the Epson software. So, she cannot scan. I'm asking if she can with the other option (import scanner). Scanner is Epson XP-700. Will return here with confirmation...
http://www.paintshoppro.fr
Installed PSP Ultimate: X7, X8, X9 and 2018.
Jean-Luc

motherboard: ASUS Computer N751J
processor: Intel i7-4710 HQ 2.50GHz
ram: 16GB
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 850M
sound_card: NVIDIA High Definition Audio
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 2 Tb
Monitor/Display Make & Model: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 850M
Corel programs: PSP X7, X8, X9, 2018

Postby Simone Corel UK » Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:42 am

Hi Jean-Luc

This is exactly the point: some programs still have the bridge like that PhotoFiltre program. PSPX4 had the bridge, but since there are 64 bit applications we don't have it any more as well as Adobe took this plugin out for Photoshop. The bridge was TWAIN, but since doesn't work any more, either people use programs that have the bridge like PhotoFiltre, Vuescan and others, or they do it as my friend does: Launches the same directly.

I can't see any problem with that.
Simone Corel UK
Corel

PreviousNext

Return to Paint Shop Pro