NEW! Corel PaintShop Pro 2018

"No scanner found" in PSP8

Corel Paint Shop Pro

Moderator: trueblue

"No scanner found" in PSP8

Postby cbeigle54 » Sun Nov 15, 2015 3:52 pm

Hi Guys....

This pertains to PSP8. I successfully installed my printer to my win7.
However, when I opened my PSP8, the scanner (which is part of the printer)
was not found. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks, Carl
cbeigle54

operating_system: Windows 7 Home Premium
System_Drive: C
32bit or 64bit: 64 Bit
ram: 4GB

Re: "No scanner found" in PSP8

Postby BrianCee » Sun Nov 15, 2015 5:07 pm

Are you referring to PSP 8 which is quite an old version of PSP or are you using PSP X8 (18) which is the current version
My VideoStudio demo videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/MrBrianCee
BrianCee

operating_system: Windows 10
ram: 8GB
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 4TB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: HP
Corel programs: VS X4,X5,X6,X7,X8, X9, X10

Postby Ken Berry » Sun Nov 15, 2015 6:47 pm

If indeed it is X8 and you are using the 64 bit version, then there has been a longstanding problem for some (many?) users like me who have scanners that don't have 64 bit drivers available for them. This means that TWAIN doesn't work if that is what you were wanting to do i.e. you went to Import > TWAIN Acquire. So I just use Import > From Scanner or Camera instead. This has been a recurring 'problem' since PSP first introduced a 64 bit version two or three versions ago. I'm not sure Corel can do much about it if the scanner/printer manufacturers have not updated their drivers...

EDIT: since writing the above, I did a bit of research and found that Brother, who made my multifunction centre, including scanning functions, have a 64 bit driver for it. So I have just installed it. But after rebooting, PSP still tells me there is no TWAIN source. So I am at a loss as to what is actually going on... :oops: At least I can still use Import > From Scanner or Camera!
Ken Berry
Ken Berry
Site Admin

motherboard: Hewlett-Packard 2B0F
processor: Core i3-4130T 2.9 GHz
ram: 8 GB
Video Card: NVidia GeForce 710A
sound_card: Realtek High Definition Audio
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 1 TB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: AOC 28" 1920 x 1080
Corel programs: VS X10; PSP 2018; MS3D; ASP 3

Postby Grazie » Mon Nov 16, 2015 5:04 am

Ken Berry wrote:At least I can still use Import > From Scanner or Camera!

For years this has been my experience too, what I do is forget using any TWAIN - forget the angst and move on, let it go. My Epsom multi function "lump" makes use of its s/w from within Corel PSP X8 64bit so I'm happy.

Grazie
Grazie

operating_system: Windows 7 Professional

Postby LeviFiction » Mon Nov 16, 2015 6:31 am

So, fun topic. We first saw a problem with X6 64-bit like Ken said. While not an official answer from Corel, one of their help desk people who occasionally posts here suggested it was a Windows problem and not a problem with X6. That was not well received. xD

At the time I had installed a demo of the software VueScan. VueScan has its own TWAIN drivers and can work with almost any scanner. So it's really great if the scanner is older and doesn't work with the latest and greatest. It also came with its own plugin for Photoshop (the plugin also works with PSP) to make up for the fact that Photoshop does not include 64-bit TWAIN options. So if TWAIN failed with VueScan we could use the plugin instead. Only downside, the price. While not expensive I didn't want to spend more money on the problem.

PSP X6 never listed the VueScan drivers as a potential source. So I always assumed the problem was with PSP. Well I just tried it with PSPX8, and X8 saw the VueScan drivers as a source. So I can officially say TWAIN in X8 64-bit does work.

However, I also learned something interesting in recent years. Just because a scanner has 64-bit drivers does not mean the have 64-bit TWAIN drivers. And in some cases the drivers they do have are not signed and Windows doesn't let you load them if they aren't signed. So, having 64-bit drivers are no guarantee that PSP will be able to read them.

If you think PSP should be able to see them but it still doesn't I recommend downloading this test application made by the TWAIN Working Group. They are the ones resonsible for the TWAIN system.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/twain-s ... plication/

Download the 64-bit version and run it. It should list all of the available 64-bit TWAIN drivers it finds on your system. If your scanner is not listed, then there is no way for PSP to see it. From there you can either search for 64-bit TWAIN drivers for your scanner, or use a system like VueScan, or do what has been suggested by Ken and Grazie and just use the Import option.
LeviFiction
Advisor

Corel programs: PSP (Installed): XI, X7, X8,X9

Postby JackL » Thu Nov 26, 2015 7:52 pm

Ken Berry wrote:If indeed it is X8 and you are using the 64 bit version, then there has been a longstanding problem for some (many?) users like me who have scanners that don't have 64 bit drivers available for them. This means that TWAIN doesn't work if that is what you were wanting to do i.e. you went to Import > TWAIN Acquire. So I just use Import > From Scanner or Camera instead. This has been a recurring 'problem' since PSP first introduced a 64 bit version two or three versions ago. I'm not sure Corel can do much about it if the scanner/printer manufacturers have not updated their drivers...

My X8 32bit and 64bit with Win 10 build 10586 do not detect my CanoScan 9000F scanner (latest drivers installed). Win 7/8.1 has no problem detecting the scanner. It is then definitely a Corel issue.

Also, I would like to make another complaint. I bought and paid for X8 Ultimate and my version shows only as X8 Pro. I have not received a response from Corel in over a week now. I will shortly ask for my money back.
JackL

motherboard: Gigabyte G1.Sniper B5
processor: Intel Core i5-4460
ram: 16Gb
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960
sound_card: NVIDIA High Definition Audio
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 223Gb
Monitor/Display Make & Model: HP 25xi
Corel programs: PSP X4/X8

Postby LeviFiction » Thu Nov 26, 2015 8:37 pm

Yeah, the "ultimate" has often drawn confusion. Sorry you got caught in that. Ultimate is just the pack that you get. The plugins, PerfectlyClear, PerfectEffects, the background content pack. The version of PSP will always be Pro. You're just buying the extras.
LeviFiction
Advisor

Corel programs: PSP (Installed): XI, X7, X8,X9

Postby Ken Berry » Thu Nov 26, 2015 8:48 pm

JackL wrote:Also, I would like to make another complaint. I bought and paid for X8 Ultimate and my version shows only as X8 Pro.

As LeviFiction has just indicated, there is no difference at all in the actual PSP program between the Pro and Ultimate packages. PSP is Pro in both -- the Ultimate package just has extras not included in the "Pro" package.

My X8 32bit and 64bit with Win 10 build 10586 do not detect my CanoScan 9000F scanner (latest drivers installed).

Can you please confirm that the scanner is not detected when you use Import > From Scanner or Camera, or is it when you choose Import > TWAIN Acquire? Unfortunately, I don't have anything as recent as the CanoScan 9000F. Mine is a CanoScan 5200F (as well as my Brother MFC). I use Win 10 64 bit, and cannot find a TWAIN source for the scanners, but have no trouble with either when using 'From Scanner or Camera'...
Ken Berry
Ken Berry
Site Admin

motherboard: Hewlett-Packard 2B0F
processor: Core i3-4130T 2.9 GHz
Video Card: NVidia GeForce 710A
sound_card: Realtek High Definition Audio
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 1 TB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: AOC 28" 1920 x 1080
Corel programs: VS X10; PSP 2018; MS3D; ASP 3

Postby JackL » Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:20 pm

LeviFiction wrote:Yeah, the "ultimate" has often drawn confusion. Sorry you got caught in that. Ultimate is just the pack that you get. The plugins, PerfectlyClear, PerfectEffects, the background content pack. The version of PSP will always be Pro. You're just buying the extras.

Hi Ken,

Thank you for the clarification. Yes, I was able to download and install all the above plugins and more with my PRO version. I still wish that Corel would have stamped the correct version on the program ABOUT page. It is not too late...
JackL

Postby JackL » Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:39 pm

Ken Berry wrote:
JackL wrote:Also, I would like to make another complaint. I bought and paid for X8 Ultimate and my version shows only as X8 Pro.

As LeviFiction has just indicated, there is no difference at all in the actual PSP program between the Pro and Ultimate packages. PSP is Pro in both -- the Ultimate package just has extras not included in the "Pro" package.

My X8 32bit and 64bit with Win 10 build 10586 do not detect my CanoScan 9000F scanner (latest drivers installed).

Can you please confirm that the scanner is not detected when you use Import > From Scanner or Camera, or is it when you choose Import > TWAIN Acquire? Unfortunately, I don't have anything as recent as the CanoScan 9000F. Mine is a CanoScan 5200F (as well as my Brother MFC). I use Win 10 64 bit, and cannot find a TWAIN source for the scanners, but have no trouble with either when using 'From Scanner or Camera'...

That is correct. Twain acquire warns "no scanner found". Like I mentioned before, PSP 8 Twain worked on the same hardware with Win7/Win 8.1. The tab also informs me "No plugins found" (greyed out). Same as you, I have no problem scanning with Canon MP Navigator EX panel. I am also running Win 10 64 bit with latest build 10586.

I think it's time for someone from Corel to fix the problem. I am willing to help.
JackL

Postby JackL » Fri Nov 27, 2015 4:32 pm

JackL wrote:
LeviFiction wrote:Yeah, the "ultimate" has often drawn confusion. Sorry you got caught in that. Ultimate is just the pack that you get. The plugins, PerfectlyClear, PerfectEffects, the background content pack. The version of PSP will always be Pro. You're just buying the extras.

Hi Ken,

Thank you for the clarification. Yes, I was able to download and install all the above plugins and more with my PRO version. I still wish that Corel would have stamped the correct version on the program ABOUT page. It is not too late...

I just installed my older X4 on Win 10 X64 and lo and behold, the Twain was loaded and I was able to use the scanner. I guess I really want my X8 money back considering the lethargic response from Corel.
JackL

Postby BrianCee » Fri Nov 27, 2015 5:21 pm

JackL wrote: I just installed my older X4 on Win 10 X64 and lo and behold, the Twain was loaded and I was able to use the scanner. I guess I really want my X8 money back considering the lethargic response from Corel.

and for that I'm afraid you will need to contact those same people at Corel - we can't help you with that here
My VideoStudio demo videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/MrBrianCee
BrianCee

ram: 8GB
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 4TB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: HP
Corel programs: VS X4,X5,X6,X7,X8, X9, X10

Postby JackL » Mon Dec 07, 2015 7:36 pm

JackL wrote:
Ken Berry wrote:

That is correct. Twain acquire warns "no scanner found". Like I mentioned before, PSP 8 Twain worked on the same hardware with Win7/Win 8.1. The tab also informs me "No plugins found" (greyed out). Same as you, I have no problem scanning with Canon MP Navigator EX panel. I am also running Win 10 64 bit with latest build 10586.

I think it's time for someone from Corel to fix the problem. I am willing to help.

I installed my older X4 and it has no problem detecting and using Twain with Windows 10. So, it's definitely Corel programming problem.

One would think that they monitor this forum and that I would have received a response from them as do many software manufacturers that value their customers. They do not even have support email address on their site so that I can send them captured screen shots.

The forum moderator here tells us to contact Corel since this forum is not monitored by them. Amazing.
JackL

Postby JoeB » Mon Dec 07, 2015 7:44 pm

They monitor their Facebook page. If you were to post something like How can I get a response to the support Request I sent to Corel Support some time ago you might get a quicker response. :-) Just a thought.
Regards,

JoeB
Using PSP X9 and 2018, 32-bit
JoeB

operating_system: Windows 8.1
motherboard: LENOVO 4524PE4 ThinkCentre M91p
processor: 3.10 gigahertz Intel Quad Core i5-2400
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 4.6 TB
Corel programs: PSP 9, X7 to 2018, 32 & 64-bit

Postby JackL » Sun Dec 27, 2015 5:30 pm

BrianCee wrote:
JackL wrote: I just installed my older X4 on Win 10 X64 and lo and behold, the Twain was loaded and I was able to use the scanner. I guess I really want my X8 money back considering the lethargic response from Corel.

and for that I'm afraid you will need to contact those same people at Corel - we can't help you with that here

I just installed the latest X8 update. It still does not detect the Twain driver. I wrote to them over a week ago, no answer. Corel's must be the worst tech support in the world. They simply do not care about their customers or their products.
JackL