Paintshop Pro x6 Ultimate - Manage Tab use

Corel Paint Shop Pro

Moderator: trueblue

Paintshop Pro x6 Ultimate - Manage Tab use

Postby dghundt on Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:44 am

I have been using PSP x3 for a couple years now to view and make minor edits to images I export from Lightroom 4, srbg, jpegs.
The imgages in PSP x3 main window look great.

I recently installed PSP x6 Ultimate, and updated immediately to service pack 1. I did not change any default settings
In the Manage tab, images look horribly speckled at any magnification.
In the Adjust or Edit tabs, images appear normally.

Since the Manage tab, as I understand it, is meant to allow previewing of the actual image, how do I get it to look properly - like it did with PSP x3?

thank you

david
dghundt

operating_system: Windows 7 Professional
System_Drive: C
32bit or 64bit: 64 Bit

Re: Paintshop Pro x6 Ultimate - Manage Tab use

Postby Grazie on Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:49 pm

David, I've noticed that too.

I've opened got PSP3 to check out a few things regarding the "quality". In PSP3 the Media Tray, which does show the media, is this what you are wishing to be the same as the Manage Tab in PSP X6 to be like? My thoughts is that the Manage Tab is purely for that - Managing - and not what PSP3 in Media Tray gave us.

Interesting....

Grazie
Grazie

Postby Grazie on Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:57 pm

O...K...

Could that now be the "Adjust" Tab. That looks the same as the "Express Lab" - I know see what you are meaning, my mistake.

Try the Adjust Tab.

HTHs

Grazie
Grazie

Postby dghundt on Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:00 pm

At least I'm not the only one.
Seems unusual that such a large image in the manage tab would look so crummy.
Work arounds, other settings???

thanks
dghundt

Postby dghundt on Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:29 pm

Thanks, once I adjusted my color management to my monitor's profile created by SypderPro, the images on the Adjustment tab look fine and match PSP x3 and Lightroom4 images.
Not sure the point of the Manage tab if the images look poor, but the Adjustment tab is easy enough to work with now.

David
dghundt

Postby MarkZ on Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:13 pm

dghundt wrote:In the Manage tab, images look horribly speckled at any magnification.
In the Adjust or Edit tabs, images appear normally.

Since the Manage tab, as I understand it, is meant to allow previewing of the actual image, how do I get it to look properly - like it did with PSP x3?

thank you

david

I think my system is similar to yours and fortunately I have not perceived the image quality in Manage that you have. I don't remember how X3 manage tab worked. For what it's worth, here is how I use the Manage tab.

Most often I use Manage in Thumbnail mode in order to get an overall view of the images I may want to edit and to do a quick selection among them. If I want a larger view I will often double-click on an image or use View/Full screen preview. It may take a second for the image to jump into best resolution but I think the image quality is good in this view. I don't pay much attention to the preview that is generated in Manage and only occasionally select the Preview mode in Manage and scroll through some images in Organizer. Once I settle on what I want to edit I select the image(s) and go to Edit.

I use Collections within Navigator. This has the advantage of reducing the number of directories to go through plus the opportunity to use Trays. If I want to do a comparison of images from different directories, I can drag the images into a tray (you can create a number of trays for different purposes) and have side-by-side comparisons there. If the images are dragged from Collections they will stay in place for further use after you close X6; if dragged from Navigator/Computer, they disappear when X6 is closed. One of the functions in Trays is broken in v64 - in v32 images in trays can be moved about so that you have those you want together to be arranged thus; in v64 images in the trays move around in an illogical manner.

I stay away from the Adjust mode. It does not work at all for me because the changes cannot be tracked or reproduced in it.

By the way, I do my initial sorting of what I want to keep in AfterShot Pro, so the quality in Manage is not as important for me.
Mark
MarkZ

motherboard: Intel DQ67SW desktop
processor: Intel Core i7 i7-2600 3.40 GHz
ram: 8 GB
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 500 GB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: LG Flatron E2241

Return to Paint Shop Pro