PSPX5 - Windows 8 - Plugins - DLL's

Postby nhlisa on Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:03 pm

Hi, I have a question.

I upgraded to Windows 8 this past Tuesday. I tried to keep everything but had problems. Did a clean install of Windows 8 on Wednesday and started installing my programs.

I spent most of the day yesterday installing & testing plugins. I have NOT put in any additional DLL's yet because I'm not sure if the Windows 7 DLL's will work or if they are even needed. I do also have Photoshop CS6 installed.

Quite a few plugins worked just fine. I had 12 that wouldn't work from but I tried to import them into Filters Unlimited and was able to. One that I use a lot is Simple filters and it wouldn't work, but did import into FU, except for two filters. 9 wouldn't work at all they gave an error saying that something is missing or not installed right. Note - the filters that didn't work are those that you just copy & paste into your plugin folder. Out of these 9, some were in my "not using" folder on Windows 7. So frankly I don't even know if they were tested in X5 or not. But Adjust Variations was one that was working before and now under Windows 8, it doesn't. That's the only one of the 9 that I'd really like to have working.

Can anyone who is using Windows 8 please tell me if I need to do anything with DLL's?

I have Windows 8 pro 64 bit. PSPX5. Photoshop CS6. I have DEP set to what it should be. I also tried turning UAC off and it had no effect.

So do I need to use the Windows 7 DLL's? Any advice would be appreciated.
Overall, I think the amount of plugins that are working is pretty good for not doing anything.
Lisa
nhlisa

operating_system: Windows 7 Home Premium
System_Drive: C
32bit or 64bit: 64 Bit
motherboard: Dell XPS 8300 - 0Y2MRG A01
processor: 3.40 gigahertz Intel Core i7-2600
ram: 12GB
Video Card: AMD Radeon HD 6700 Series
sound_card: AMD High Definition Audio Device
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 2TB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: Dell U2410 - 24" - 1920x1200

Re: PSPX5 - Windows 8 - Plugins - DLL's

Postby trueblue on Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:44 pm

why do you need those dll's? I've been running since x2 without dll's ....... if plugins are old you can't expect them to run on latest technology.
~~~~Maureen~~~~
Creative-Designs
PIRC BB - Digital Art - PaintShop Pro - PhotoImpact
Corel Painter X3 - PaintShop Pro X6 - VideoStudio X6 - CorelDraw X5
trueblue

operating_system: Windows 8 Pro
motherboard: Acer Predator G3620_H
processor: Intel Core i7-3770 Quad-core 3.40GHz
ram: 16GB
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 1.50GB
sound_card: NVIDIA High Def Audio Realtek High Def
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 3TB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: Benq E2420HD 24" wide x 2 monitors

Postby nhlisa on Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:26 pm

I always used the Windows 7 DLL's. I've gone through about 4 computers using Windows 7. (Yes I was upgrading frequently for a while there, now I think I'm happy since I went back to a desktop that I can upgrade as needed.)
On the first computer I had a problem with some plugins not working. I installed the DLL's and the plugins worked, even some that were really old that many others had problems with. So every computer since, I just put the DLL's in right away.

Now on Windows 8, I haven't done anything with DLL's. Most plugins are working. Some aren't. One that I use all the time is Simple Filters. It no longer works although I have it imported into Filters Unlimited and it works there...BUT there are two of the Simple filters that will NOT import into FU.

Most of the ones that don't work, aren't a problem. Unless I come across a lesson that requires a filter that doesn't work, then it'll be annoying.

I just wondered if anyone knew what the deal was with the DLL's and Windows 8.
Lisa
nhlisa

Postby LeviFiction on Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:16 pm

Well, first DLL stands for Dynamic Link Library. It's a computer program that holds a bunch of functions that other programs can call. Programs like plugins or PSP will look for and call special functions hidden within DLLs.

Since most Windows programs run off of DLLs (they have different names and extensions on different OSs) it's impossible for me to answer your question as I have no idea what DLLs you're talking about. Try opening your System32 folder sometime and taking a look at the vast number of DLLs available.

Photoshop has a special DLL called Plugins.dll (or something like that) that is sometimes required to run special plugins. And if they were compiled with Visual C++ there might be a need to add a Visual C++ runtime library to your system to get them to run if Windows 8 didn't come with it.

From there, as I imagine you know, 64-bit Windows requires that you add the 32-bit DLLs to the SysWow64 folder instead of the System32 folder in your WIndows directory. It doesn't hurt to add them since Windows isn't looking for them. Though I can't gurantee it will work. Your other option would be to try Windows 7 compatibility mode.
LeviFiction
Advisor

motherboard: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. K52F 1.0
processor: 2.53 gigahertz Intel Core i5 M 460
ram: 4GB
Video Card: Intel[R] HD Graphics
sound_card: Conexant SmartAudio HD
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 500GB

Postby nhlisa on Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:11 pm

Hi Levi,
Yep, I know that.
Yep, I've looked at the system32 & other folders many times before.
Yep, Photoshop does have a "plugin.dll" file.
I do have a bunch of Visual C++ files in Programs & Features.
Yep, I know all about the SysWow64 folder.

The DLL"s I'm referring to are the ones that all the PSP groups (including lesson groups) that I've been in have said that you need to "install" to run plugins in PSP. When I first started using PSP, I found a group called Stepping Stones through PSP. When you get to the lessons that require external plugins, they tell you about the DLL's that are required. Along with a couple other tips in case you still have problems after "installing" the DLL's.

For Windows 7 there is a file that contains 10 DLL's. (One of which is the plugin.dll file.) I've always used them and have had very little problems with my plugins...even with some of the really old ones.

I was afraid to "install" the ones for Windows 7 because I didn't want to mess anything up. But if it would hurt anything to add them, then I guess I will give it a try.
Lisa

LeviFiction wrote:Well, first DLL stands for Dynamic Link Library. It's a computer program that holds a bunch of functions that other programs can call. Programs like plugins or PSP will look for and call special functions hidden within DLLs.

Since most Windows programs run off of DLLs (they have different names and extensions on different OSs) it's impossible for me to answer your question as I have no idea what DLLs you're talking about. Try opening your System32 folder sometime and taking a look at the vast number of DLLs available.

Photoshop has a special DLL called Plugins.dll (or something like that) that is sometimes required to run special plugins. And if they were compiled with Visual C++ there might be a need to add a Visual C++ runtime library to your system to get them to run if Windows 8 didn't come with it.

From there, as I imagine you know, 64-bit Windows requires that you add the 32-bit DLLs to the SysWow64 folder instead of the System32 folder in your WIndows directory. It doesn't hurt to add them since Windows isn't looking for them. Though I can't gurantee it will work. Your other option would be to try Windows 7 compatibility mode.
nhlisa

Postby nhlisa on Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:03 pm

Hi, I have an update.

I decided I didn't have anything to loose. I took those Windows 7 DLL's and copied them into the SysWOW64 folder. I made sure to NOT overwrite anything. There were three newer versions that were already there. I then tested the plugins that I couldn't get working before and they all now work.

The only problem I still have is that the Ulead Art Texture installer does nothing at all. But since I know that a lot of people were never able to get it working anyway, I am not going to worry about it. It would be nice to have it back again but I will deal with it.

Lisa
nhlisa

Postby Dizzie on Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:20 am

Thanks a bunch Lisa! That's exactly what I wanted to know too. :lol:

Diz
Dizzie

operating_system: Windows 7 Ultimate
32bit or 64bit: 32 Bit
motherboard: dunno
processor: dunno
ram: dunno
Video Card: dunno
sound_card: dunno
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 500

Postby nhlisa on Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:55 pm

Dizzie wrote:Thanks a bunch Lisa! That's exactly what I wanted to know too. :lol:

Diz

You're welcome!
Lisa
nhlisa

Postby llg denise on Wed May 08, 2013 7:37 pm

nhlisa wrote:Hi, I have an update.

I decided I didn't have anything to loose. I took those Windows 7 DLL's and copied them into the SysWOW64 folder. I made sure to NOT overwrite anything. There were three newer versions that were already there. I then tested the plugins that I couldn't get working before and they all now work.

The only problem I still have is that the Ulead Art Texture installer does nothing at all. But since I know that a lot of people were never able to get it working anyway, I am not going to worry about it. It would be nice to have it back again but I will deal with it.

Lisa

Lisa this is fabulous--Thanks for being brave and testing! If you're still watching (and you're probably not...), did the simple filters work outside of FU? (did y'all know that Simple Filters site is GONE?).

This is one of the things i DO like about PSP - the filters just keep working for the most part if you keep your windows .dll files up to date!
llg denise

operating_system: Windows 7 Professional
motherboard: Dell Inc. 0C27VV A01
processor: 2.93 gigahertz Intel Core2 Duo
Video Card: Intel Q45 Q43 Express Chipset Display adapter
sound_card: on the motherboard and not listed separately
Monitor/Display Make & Model: Dell EP172fp and 1908fp

Postby nhlisa on Wed May 08, 2013 8:07 pm

llg denise wrote:Lisa this is fabulous--Thanks for being brave and testing! If you're still watching (and you're probably not...), did the simple filters work outside of FU? (did y'all know that Simple Filters site is GONE?).

This is one of the things i DO like about PSP - the filters just keep working for the most part if you keep your windows .dll files up to date!

You're welcome.
Yep, I'm still watching. Got an email notification.

Yes, the simple filters work just fine. And no, I didn't know the site was gone. Thanks for letting me know.
Lisa
nhlisa

Postby llg denise on Sat Jun 01, 2013 7:30 am

Lisa, do you have Win 8 pro? I do NOT see a syswow64 folder in the windows folder. I've done a search of drive c and some files come up in the manifest folder in winSxS folder, but no syswow64. not sure where to drop the dlls and did you only have to drop 2 or more (i'm hearing that the set of 10 has a malware file in it...i remember having some difficulties before, but so long ago (2 years, lol) i can't remember my process, nor which ones i installed or didn't copy over and now can't find a clean set. so 2 questions in addition to do you have pro--where's that darned folder and which dlls did you install mscrvt10.dll and plugin.dll and that's it? Thanks.

Denise
llg denise

Postby LeviFiction on Sat Jun 01, 2013 7:39 am

My install of Windows 8 has a SysWOW64 folder inside the Windows folder.

The only reason it shouldn't be there is if you're on a 32-bit system. Otherwise Windows would still need this folder.
LeviFiction
Advisor

motherboard: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. K52F 1.0
processor: 2.53 gigahertz Intel Core i5 M 460
Video Card: Intel[R] HD Graphics
sound_card: Conexant SmartAudio HD
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 500GB

Postby llg denise on Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:59 pm

Huhn!!! Well, come to find out....(the info on my hardware is for my laptop; this issue i'm having is with my tablet)...

The tablet, a Dell Latitude 10, has an Atom processor, which is apparently an x86/32 bit processor, so of course, no sysWow64 folder! And yes, of course it said it in the product description, just so used to not having choices in upgrades, that i *** u me d.

It is my preference to have a 32bit system - everything still works! placed the dlls in sys 32, ran fmpatcher and all is well! yippee skippee.

t'anks, LeviFiction.
llg denise