Paint Shop Pro X5 has stopped Working

Corel Paint Shop Pro

Moderator: trueblue

Paint Shop Pro X5 has stopped Working

Postby xfsgpr on Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:18 am

Just installed the trial version of Paint Shop Pro X5 including SP1 but it stops working after the splash screen. What can I do?

See this picture:

Windows 7 Proferssional 64 Bit system
4 GB Ram
1 TB Disk Space (about 850 MB Free disk space)

Photoshop X4 runs fine on this system.

Thanks you.
xfsgpr

operating_system: Windows 7 Professional
System_Drive: C
32bit or 64bit: 64 Bit
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 1 TB

Re: Paint Shop Pro X5 has stopped Working

Postby teknisyan on Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:38 pm

You can try resetting the software. You can do that by pressing and holding down the SHIFT key then double-click on the PSP icon then when you received the message "DO YOU WAN TO RESTORE PAINTSHOP Pro TO ITS DEFAULT STATE?" just click OK.
Like reading blogs?
About Tech
About Sports
Pnoy.Me - A URL Shortener
Follow me on Facebook & Twitter
teknisyan

operating_system: Windows 7 Home Premium
motherboard: Sony Corporation VAIO
processor: Intel Corel i5
ram: 4 GB
Video Card: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5650
sound_card: Realtek HD Audio
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 500 GB

Postby xfsgpr on Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:17 am

Thanks Abiel. Tried it but in-vain. Apparently, it is the bug in the product. I managed to move all my pictures to a temp directory then restarted the machine after clearing everything from this folder:

C:\Users\MYUSERNAME\AppData\Local\Corel PaintShop Pro\15.0

MYUSERNAME = my profile name of course!!

I can now get in but can't register the product and so it is driving me crazy now because it keeps coming when I launch the product.

I have filed a bug report to see if it can be rectified. Registration should not be mandatory - Activation YES but not Registration like other companies do Microsoft, Adobe etc etc.

The registration message should be stopped by the users and I don't know how? Do you know anything about this?
xfsgpr

Postby xfsgpr on Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:46 am

OK I found the problem. It looks like PSPX5 is not able to read .psd files or to ignore them and so it just crashes. After moving that said psd file (that I must have created in Adobe Photoshop Elements) everything is now working fine. Except, of course, the registration window that refuses to go away and I can't even connect online because the corel registration server is always down or the product contains an incorrect link.

We'll see after 30 days (in fact only 24 days because I installed it 6 days ago) what happens.
xfsgpr

Postby LeviFiction on Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:13 am

Manage mode then. Yes, until you got it opened there was no way to turn off PSD file association.

Now that you can open it you can turn off which files Manage Mode tries to view. Go to File - > Preferences - > General Preferences.

Under the "Manage" section you'll find an option to exclude certain file types.

However, PSP should be able to open most PSD files unless there is a bug with the renderer in Manage Mode or something with the file itself. In the PSPX5 bugs and fixes topic photodrawken suggested that when you save a PSD file it should ask you or give you the option to save with maximum compatibility. Make sure you've done that. (in case you didn't see his reply) Maybe PSP was just chocking on the lack of a needed feature. But hard to say since I don't have any PSD files on my computer anymore. Never have the need.

As for the Register screen, that was giving someone else trouble earlier. The team had to update that page and link. However, it doesn't update automatically. It takes a minimum of 3 times before it updates with the latest stuff. And sometimes longer. So I hope that fixes itself before those 24 days are up. Then you'll probably have to deal with the Corel Guide popping up every 3 times until you see that "don't show" checkbox.
LeviFiction
Advisor

operating_system: Windows 8 Pro
motherboard: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. K52F 1.0
processor: 2.53 gigahertz Intel Core i5 M 460
ram: 4GB
Video Card: Intel[R] HD Graphics
sound_card: Conexant SmartAudio HD
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 500GB

Postby microcosme on Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:39 am

I had this problem on my former computer (Windows 7 Pro): "Paint Shop Pro X2 has stopped Working". During years, I tried dozens of repair, including reinstall: no success.

I recently got a new computer (Windows 7 Pro) and I bought Paint Shop Pro X5 ... and I receive this message: "Paint Shop Pro X5 has stopped Working"!

It is now obvious that the problem is inside Paint Shop Pro.

The problem doesn't occur with other similar programs. The problem did not occur in the time of Jasc Paint Shop Pro.

What is the solution?

After reading messages in this page, I tried to remove psd. However when I go to "Set associations for a program", all choices are checked and greyed. I cannot unselect any extension (this second problem doesn't disturb me).
microcosme

32bit or 64bit: 32 Bit

Postby LeviFiction on Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:51 pm

Well, that second problem is a Windows thing. :D Windows does not want you to simply unassociate files. It wants you to switch associations. If the file already has an association and you remove that association it's like making it an orphan. So in order to remove an association from PSP you have to associate the file type with a different program, essentially giving it a new parent.

However, that is not the same as excluding a file-type from Manage mode. So even if your problem was similar, which I want to say it is not, it wouldn't have changed anything. You would have to do what xfsgpr did and remove the offending file from the reach of PSP.
LeviFiction
Advisor

operating_system: Windows 8 Pro
motherboard: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. K52F 1.0
processor: 2.53 gigahertz Intel Core i5 M 460
ram: 4GB
Video Card: Intel[R] HD Graphics
sound_card: Conexant SmartAudio HD
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 500GB

Postby microcosme on Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:25 pm

Thank you for your answer about te minor problem.

The main problem is "Paint Shop Pro X5 has stopped Working". I read so many complaints on the Internet about this problem and I think Corel will solve it once!
When?

This happens almost always when we launch PSP. We have to launch it several times before it finds stability.
This happens sometimes when we are working for a long time with PSP.
Same problems occurred with former versions (X2), on other computers.

Thank you for your time.
microcosme

32bit or 64bit: 32 Bit

Return to Paint Shop Pro