Lifting Bamboo Pen Stops Painting

Corel Paint Shop Pro

Moderator: trueblue

Lifting Bamboo Pen Stops Painting

Postby Rikev on Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:28 pm

Hello, I have a Wacom Bamboo Pen and Touch on Windows 7 64-bit and it appears to work fine in Windows on the desktop and in MS Paint. I can drag a box on the desktop, scribble in paint to my heart's delight, etc.

In PSP X4 the pen works...briefly. If I keep the pen down enough to make the red light appear on the tablet (to say it has detected the pen is close) it will happily draw in freehand with the paint/airbrush. If I lift the pen high enough to go out of detection range and put it back on the pad, PSP won't paint. The mouse will paint and the pen will work with tools like Pen or Flood Fill and in other apps but freehand doesn't work.

To get freehand back, I need to click on a button, tick box or other window control on the screen with the mouse. Then I can draw freehand again until the pen goes too high.

The PSP when it goes wrong like this is strange. Hovering the pen within detection range moves the cursor as normal, but on pressing down the 'dot' (or circle depending on brush size) stays where it is without making a stroke. The cursor moves around normally otherwise without applying anything to the image.

I've tried to re-install the drivers with a new copy from the manufacturer's site and removed Windows Tablet Support but nothing works to resolve this.

Any ideas please? :)
Rikev

operating_system: Windows 7 Professional
System_Drive: C
32bit or 64bit: 64 Bit

Re: Lifting Bamboo Pen Stops Painting

Postby brucet on Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:58 pm

Mine has also been acting 'strange'. I found the issue was in the Brush Variances. Set them back to 'Normal' and see if that makes a difference. (Some tools work ok while other did'nt respond at all). It seems PSPx4 has some difficulty with detecting pressure sensitivity. Set on 'Normal' they seem to all work ok.
brucet

operating_system: Windows 7 Home Premium

Postby Rikev on Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:20 pm

Ahh thanks for the help. That has fixed the lifting problem, though the pressure sensitivity doesn't work at all now.
Rikev

Postby brucet on Tue Nov 22, 2011 6:26 am

I've never been a fan of the pressure sensitivity so I don't miss it. You may find that the pen is actually working. I found that by increasing the pen size I could get the sensitivity to work. But you may need a setting of 50 if you want a pen size of around 10. It's a pain doing it this way but the pressure feature will then work.
brucet

Postby Rikev on Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:50 am

Bruce you are a star, thanks for the help. I am a total rookie to this field. :)
Rikev

Postby billrey on Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:53 pm

Just to piggyback on this post. Changingthe Brush Variance to Normal works with Win XP Pro and PSP X2 and PSP X4 also.
billrey

operating_system: Windows XP Home
32bit or 64bit: 32 Bit
ram: 4gb

Postby hamcraft on Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:48 am

But this is only a band-aid solution.

I have the same problem with PSP X3 and a Wacom Bamboo Capture, but I want to use pressure sensitivity in PSP X3. What is the root cause of the issue??? Is it PSP or is it the Wacom drivers?
hamcraft

Postby B4b5 on Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:01 pm

hamcraft wrote:But this is only a band-aid solution.

I have the same problem with PSP X3 and a Wacom Bamboo Capture, but I want to use pressure sensitivity in PSP X3. What is the root cause of the issue??? Is it PSP or is it the Wacom drivers?

I've been following this trying to solve the same problem with Win7, x4, & Wacom Graphire4.

Now that I've done this---> viewtopic.php?f=56&t=44385&p=240909#p240909 <--- this one is one update back from the most recent driver update.

My Graphire4 pen & tablet work very well with PSP-X4.
Now all of the Brush Variances also work and I finally see the usefulness of the Wacom tablet.
B4b5

Postby hamcraft on Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:08 pm

I wish it wasn't so hard to find the legacy drivers that work with the Capture and Create.

I reported the issue to Wacom... Hopefully between Corel and Wacom the problem gets addressed...
hamcraft

Postby B4b5 on Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:00 pm

hamcraft wrote:I wish it wasn't so hard to find the legacy drivers

This Wacom site might help---> http://www.wacom.eu/index2.asp?pid=29&lang=en <--- Searchable Driver lists...
B4b5

Postby hamcraft on Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:00 pm

Thanks B4b5, but unfortunately since I have a new Gen3 tablet (Bamboo Connect/Capture/Create) there is no functioning legacy driver available for me to roll back to.

See also this thread on Wacom's forum: http://forum.wacom.eu/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=8485
hamcraft

Postby B4b5 on Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:10 pm

hamcraft wrote:See also this thread on Wacom's forum: http://forum.wacom.eu/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=8485

It really is a Swamp!
B4b5

Postby hamcraft on Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:28 pm

Oh it gets better. I used Corel's tech support ticketing system to make sure they are aware of the issue. Maybe I went about it the wrong way, but this was the ultimate response:
Due to the complexity of the issue that you have reported, it is best that you speak to one of our level 2 technicians as I do not have enough resources to research further on this. You will need to have a Corel protection plan so a technician can call you and resolve this issue. Please call for more information about this.

So wait, I gotta pay $$$ to submit a bug report? OK then, nevermind.
hamcraft

Postby B4b5 on Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:03 pm

hamcraft wrote:So wait, I gotta pay $$$ to submit a bug report? OK then, nevermind.

I too ran into this, only I was trying to figure out why SP1 wouldn't install.
Turns out it wouldn't install because it already was installed... (Newbies!) - It took another forum member to help me through that without $$$...
B4b5

Postby hamcraft on Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:29 pm

We apologize for the inconvenience that these may have caused. However, I will be reporting this issue/product defect to our product engineers so they can consider this for future updates on our program.

There we go. That was my goal. Just took some convincing.
hamcraft

Return to Paint Shop Pro