not enough memory...no way!!

Corel Paint Shop Pro

Moderator: trueblue

not enough memory...no way!!

Postby okiebirdnerd on Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:06 pm

I attached a screen capture from PSPx2. I have windows 7. I was told to uninstall and reinstall and I remember what a nightmare it was a year ago. I was hoping for another solution from someone.
thanks in advance for your time. :D
okiebirdnerd

operating_system: Windows 7 Home Premium
System_Drive: C
32bit or 64bit: 64 Bit
motherboard: lDell Inc. 0X231R A01
processor: 2.67 gigahertz Intel Core i5 750
ram: 4 gb
Video Card: ati radeon hd 4350
sound_card: realtec high definition audio
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 461 gb
Monitor/Display Make & Model: syncmaster 932b

Re: not enough memory...no way!!

Postby Kathy_9 on Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:45 pm

Your screen capture didn't show up. Can you give us a little more specific information regarding the issue you're having.
Using PSP X6 without SP1 or SP2

http://www.flickr.com/photos/37153430@N03/
Kathy_9

operating_system: Windows 7 Professional
motherboard: MSI 2A9C
processor: 2.80 gigahertz Intel Core i7 860
ram: 8GB
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GT 220
sound_card: NVIDIA High Definition Audio
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 750GB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: HP 2010i 20" HD Ready LCD

Postby okiebirdnerd on Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:07 am

Maybe this will work...thanks for your time..
psp error message-6-10-11.jpg
okiebirdnerd

Postby df on Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:30 am

Try CleanMem, it doesn't have a slick interface, but if you can figure out how to set it to clean the memory every 5 minutes you may see an improvement. The problem stems from when PSP doesn't release the memory back to the system after you close an image, you open a new image and use up even more memory, and PSP can only use 2gb even when you have more RAM available to it.
http://www.majorgeeks.com/CleanMem_d5993.html
Regards, Dan

"Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast."
df

motherboard: ECS MCP61M-M3 7.0
processor: 3.10 gigahertz AMD Phenom II X2 550
ram: 16gb
Video Card: Nvidia GTX 650 Ti Boost
sound_card: onboard sound
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 4+ Tb
Monitor/Display Make & Model: Acer X223W & Acer X203H & HDTV

Postby LeviFiction on Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:45 am

Quick side note. The problem df mentioned is for X3. I can't tell from your message if you're using X2 or if you only took the screen capture with x2. But do note that if this is not X3 that you're talking about this tool might be of very limited help.
LeviFiction
Advisor

operating_system: Windows 8 Pro
motherboard: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. K52F 1.0
processor: 2.53 gigahertz Intel Core i5 M 460
ram: 4GB
Video Card: Intel[R] HD Graphics
sound_card: Conexant SmartAudio HD
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 500GB

Postby df on Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:07 am

Sorry, I missed that it's X2. If it is a real out of memory error though this may help, it just may not be for the same reason as X3.
Regards, Dan

df

Postby okiebirdnerd on Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:51 am

I guess I'm confused. I'm using x2. Should I try the program someone suggested or not? Also I received an email telling me my message with attachment was approved and it isn't here. I'm attaching the screen capture again.
Thanks again for your help.
Attachments
psp error message-6-10-11.jpg
okiebirdnerd

Postby LeviFiction on Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:36 pm

Could you tell us what it is you're doing when you get the message? How large your image is? What you've done up until now to the image? How many images do you have open currently?

Essentially as df said PSP is a 32-bit program and can only use 2GB of RAM. And depending on what you're doing that memory adds up quickly, especially with large images.

As for whether or not you should use that program. It is a very useful program to clean up memory that hasn't been released by other programs yet but also isn't in use. I don't know how useful it'll be in this circumstance but feel free to try it as it does help in certain cases.

One other thing you might try is decreasing how many undo/redo points you can use. The default is 250. Under the File menu go Preferences->General Program Preferences. Select "undo" from the list on the left and you can either limit the actual amount of memory to a certain size, or you can lower the number of overall undo steps. I can't guarantee this one at all but it is a possibility.
LeviFiction
Advisor

Postby df on Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:40 pm

I don't know if X2 has this or not, but in X3 I have unchecked Enable Fast Redo in the Preferences that Levi mentions. That's lead to program stability for me. You still have undo/redo, but redoing something isn't as fast or rather its as slow as the first time you used it.
Regards, Dan

df

Postby teknisyan on Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:16 pm

You may not agree with me but... one reason why you are getting this message is that PSP X2 is not compatible with Windows 7. You can visit http://www.corel.com/servlet/Satellite/ ... 4516325170 or http://corel.force.com/index/articles/e ... patibility, to know which version of the Corel Software is compatible with Windows 7.

There is a workaround for you to make old program works on Windows 7, however we cannot assure you this is a 100% fool proof. You can use the Windows 7 Program Compatibility and the Windows XP Mode with Virtual PC, which are both from Microsoft.

You can follow the steps for Windows 7 Program Compatibility from this link: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/wind ... of-Windows

You can download and install the Windows XP Mode with Virtual PC from this link: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtua ... nload.aspx.

You also want to consider upgrading your Corel software, to PSP X3 which is full compatible with Windows 7, you can download the 30 day full working trial at http://www.corel.com/trials.
Like reading blogs?
About Tech
About Sports
Pnoy.Me - A URL Shortener
Follow me on Facebook & Twitter
teknisyan

motherboard: Sony Corporation VAIO
processor: Intel Corel i5
ram: 4 GB
Video Card: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5650
sound_card: Realtek HD Audio
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 500 GB

Postby LeviFiction on Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:19 pm

It should be noted that many use PSPX2 with absolutely no problems of this sort. So while Corel does not list PSPX2 as compatible, while giving us no details at all of what that exactly means and known issues with it, there is no guarantee what is causing your problem and it's a bit premature to be blaming Windows 7 compatibility issues until we know what you have going on. I should clear something up Corel does say we will experience "unexpected behavior." Which this could fall into but still to early to say.

So, details help. No point in installing virtual machines for something that may not require it.

If you were to upgrade to X3, then the memory utility that df suggested would be required.

But Abiel's advice is not unwarranted. And it might help if no other solutions can be found.
LeviFiction
Advisor

Postby okiebirdnerd on Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:55 pm

Okay, I never do any editing that I have to hit undo a gazillion times. If I am working on something that I might not want to keep, I do it on a layer and delete the layer.

Here’s a rundown on my problem. I purchased my X2 program about 1 ½ years ago after I purchases this new PC. I remember what a total pain it was to install on my windows 7 PC. Once installed I never had any problems until I purchased my new Canon camera a month ago. It’s a T3I, 18mp. The image size from the camera is 5184x3456. I am only taking photos in the highest jpg, not raw or tiff. I’ve never had a photo with a file size more than 6.60 mb.

I always open the image and do a shift D to make a copy. Sometimes I’ll close the untouched original photo but when I rename the new photo I like to incorporate the original numbers into the file name. At first I thought it was when I used my plug-in, noise ninja I got a pop up ‘error bad allocation’. The program didn’t close after I hit okay on the allocation pop up it only closed the ninja app. So I do unsharpen mask instead. I crop it next, then if I tried to resize it, I couldn’t key in the resize numbers. But it would allow me to scroll down to resize. Then when I went to ‘save as’ with the name and hit okay, the whole program would close without warning.

I was wondering about getting x3 but it sounds like it has some major issues. I think when X3 first came out and I checked this forum it wouldn’t allow the noise ninja plug-in to read the camera profile. My girlfriend got x3 and said she won’t use it because she doesn’t like the whole interface look. I had her send me a screen capture so I could see what she meant. I don’t like the dark background, I’m sure she can click on the learn center thing on the left so that won’t be there but the whole background is chocolate brown and way too dark. She said the background is gray on her monitor but it looks chocolate brown on mine so my monitor needs to be calibrated.

This is a real bummer since I can’t work with layers and the only way I can edit my photos is to do a serious cop or resize to make the file size smaller before I do any editing whatsoever. My normal order of process to my photos is sharpen, edit, crop then resize, in that order.

So I will have to assume that until I get my memory issue fixed I can’t upgrade to X3, right? Thanks again for your help. I guess I’ll have to wait two hours for someone to approve of this message before it will be posted. I’m attaching my friends screen capture she sent of X3. Is there a way to change the dark background?
Attachments
save for terri.jpg
X3 screen shot from friend
okiebirdnerd

Postby LeviFiction on Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:15 pm

The dark background is known as the "Graphite" workspace. If you don't want it you can turn it off by unchecking "Use Graphite Workspace" in the View menu. This will bring everything back to a light gray look. It's kind of funny, when I first tried this the brightness of the interface hurt my eyes by comparison to the dark one.

There are also registry hacks to change some of the colors but I don't think they have been used to do a full theme change.

A 6 MB file is what it is on disk. The JPEG is a lossy format so not all of the information is saved to the disk. The important part is how many pixels are in the image. Each pixel will have 3 bytes associated with it (RGB) or if its on a regular raster layer instead of a background layer it'll have 4 bytes associated with it.

This means it'll take up 50 or 60 MB in RAM if not a little bit more. But still far from the 2GB limit for the program. I had already figured something close to this based on your original screenshot.

So has the Out of Memory error always happened on this computer? Only after the Noise Ninja failed? And does it happen every time now?

It is possible that this is one of those rare occassions that PSPX2 is acting up because of Windows 7. Or it could be a result of the plugin messing up. Try this first, close PSP. Then hold Shift while opening the program from the desktop (double-clicking on the desktop icon) and it should ask you if you want to reset the workspace. Say yes and see if anything works better. You can also attempt a repair of PSP from the installer. I just want to get the basic options out of the way before blaming the incompatability.
LeviFiction
Advisor

Postby okiebirdnerd on Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:31 pm

Since my PC is a 64 bit with Widows 7 I think I remember having to do something to make it work and I think it was what Abiel suggested for it to be working for the past 1 ½ years without problems.

I have a question about the memory clean program. More times than not I don’t spend 5 minutes editing. Can I go into the program and tell it to clean the memory before I save my image so the program won’t close when I hit the save button.

Levi, If I reset my workspace what will I loose, as far as settings? I’m not sure what the X3 program is like now and I’m sure they have improved it from when it first came out but there was lots of people complaining that they wanted their X2 back and couldn’t get it. And my images from camera are 5184x3456.

If I get the X3 will I get a disk or is it a download? What are the main changes to the X3 that make it better than X2?
okiebirdnerd

Postby LeviFiction on Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:13 am

Assuming the program will clear out the memory and its an actual memory problem then running it manually before saving would do the trick. You can also set how much time you want between memory cleans.

It'll reset everything to default. So if you've made major changes you'll want to save out your workspace before doing this because it's not guaranteed to work.

I have had no problems on my Windows 7 64-bit edition and X2 Ultimate myself and neither has a friend of mine or a few people here on the forums so I'm not sure what all you had to do to get it to work when originally installing it.

If you get X3 you'll get a disc or a download depending on what you buy. You can order the physical disc or you can go with the download that's your choice. You aren't restricted one way or the other.

The biggest changes between X3 and x2 are the organizer, instead of having an organizer palette you have an entire organizer mode. Not everyone likes this new mode. Also if you're used to using the organizer in the full editor it takes a little getting used to. YOu can add photos from the organizer to a media tray still and use the media tray in the editor but not the organizer.

X3 also included the smart carver and Object Extractor. I don't know if I like the Object Extractor or not. It's similar to the "Background Remover" plugin from ImageSkill that came with X2 Ultimate but not quite as powerful. The smart carver is nice for shrinking and growing images to remove objects or extend them. But I never use it. The Vibrancy filter isn't bad. It's good for increasing the saturation of portions of the image instead of the whole image.

The text tool no longer has the text box that pops up. So all editing is done on screen (there were lots of complaints about this as well as praise). Some of the flexability went away such as using arrow keys to filter through fonts. You can hold the Shift key while clicking to bring up the text box if you still want it. Still hoping this gets fixed and there should be, at least we were told there will be, a fifth patch on the way and we have no idea what all is fixed in this version. The memory issue may even get fixed.

It's also "compatible" with Windows 7. There is a lot of debate amongst users whether or not x3 is better than x2, most voting in favor of x2. But the recent patches have helped X3 become a lot more stable.

I think the lack of major improvements and all of the really annoying serious bugs really turned people off to X3.

I'd suggest trying X3 before buying. See for yourself if you can deal with it.
LeviFiction
Advisor

Next