Dialog box when opening mp4s in other programs

Postby Auser on Mon May 23, 2011 12:47 am

When I wish to open MP4 files in programs other than PSPX3 a dialog box always pops up

The title of the box is "Corel PaintShop Photo Pro X3"

The text is

"Please wait while Windows configures Corel PaintShop Photo Pro X3

Gathering require information"

There is a process bar which moves very slowly, and a Cancel button.

If i hit Cancel the dialog box goes away and my file loads right away in what ever program I'm using.

My request is: How do i get this stupid box to pop up all the time, when i'm not even wanting to use PSPX3?
The world would be easier if people were easier.
Auser

operating_system: Windows 7 Ultimate
System_Drive: C
32bit or 64bit: 64 Bit
motherboard: Gigatebyte
processor: Intel
ram: 16GB
Video Card: Radeon HD7970
sound_card: AU8830A2
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 100

Re: Dialog box when opening mp4s in other programs

Postby teknisyan on Tue May 24, 2011 12:54 am

Hello Auser,

First of all MP4 is a video file which PSP X3 does not support. You may have associated PSP X3 to open MP4. To reassociate MP4 to open by other program, please follow the steps here: http://corel.force.com/index/articles/e ... oto-Pro-X3, but rather than selecting PSP X3, select the program that you want to use.
Like reading blogs?
About Tech
About Sports
Pnoy.Me - A URL Shortener
Follow me on Facebook & Twitter
teknisyan

operating_system: Windows 7 Home Premium
motherboard: Sony Corporation VAIO
processor: Intel Corel i5
ram: 4 GB
Video Card: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5650
sound_card: Realtek HD Audio
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 500 GB

Postby Auser on Tue May 24, 2011 2:58 pm

Abiel Corel NA wrote:Hello Auser,

Hi, did you read what I wrote?

Abiel Corel NA wrote:First of all MP4 is a video file which PSP X3 does not support.

Which makes it all the more strange that Corel software opens a "configuration dialog" - clearly a broken program.

Abiel Corel NA wrote: You may have associated PSP X3 to open MP4.

No.

I wrote "When I wish to open MP4 files in programs other than PSPX3"

I did not write "when i double click on an mp4 file"

If had associated an mp4 with PSPX3 and double clicked on the mp4 file, PSPX3 would have said "The specific file cannot be identified as a supported type" - this does not happen since I have not associated mp4 files with PSPX3.

I'm trying to open MP4 files in programs which presumably open it using directshow or some similar mechanism, and for some buggy reason, the Corel dialog box shows up where it isn't wanted.
The world would be easier if people were easier.
Auser

motherboard: Gigatebyte
processor: Intel
ram: 16GB
Video Card: Radeon HD7970
sound_card: AU8830A2
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 100

Postby kal on Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:20 pm

Hello all,

I'm new here. I joined hoping to find an answer to the same issue posted. :)

After installing PSP X3 I continue to get the same issue. When selecting (NOT double clicking) an MP4 file, a Corel PaintShop Photo Pro X3 window pops up to "Please wait while Windows configures Corel PainShop Pro X3"

As directed, I checked all my file associations and removed the product and reinstalled it. But I continue to get the same problem.

I am running X2 and X3 simultaneousness on Windows XP. I don't think that should be an issue.

I've contacted support on this issue, but they have not been able to find an solution yet.
kal

operating_system: Windows XP Pro
32bit or 64bit: 32 Bit

Postby Kathy_9 on Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:03 pm

Unfortunately, I don't have a solution but wanted to let you know that you are correct that having both X2 and X3 on your system is not the issue. I have both on my system and I am able to open mp4's from within Windows Media Player and by double clicking the file itself with no interference from PSP.
Using PSP X6 without SP1 or SP2

http://www.flickr.com/photos/37153430@N03/
Kathy_9

operating_system: Windows 7 Professional
motherboard: MSI 2A9C
processor: 2.80 gigahertz Intel Core i7 860
ram: 8GB
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GT 220
sound_card: NVIDIA High Definition Audio
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 750GB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: HP 2010i 20" HD Ready LCD

Postby edwinn on Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:17 pm

Kathy_9 wrote:Unfortunately, I don't have a solution but wanted to let you know that you are correct that having both X2 and X3 on your system is not the issue. I have both on my system and I am able to open mp4's from within Windows Media Player and by double clicking the file itself with no interference from PSP.

I'm running the X3 trial version on a new Optiplex PC (~1 month old.) One reason for purchasing X3 was I didn't bring the PSP9 install disc along on the contract job I'm working. 8) The install dialog pops-up when I try to view an AVI video (from the Canon PowerShot) in X3 Organizer, and this was attributed to the "trial" version. Thinking of it more, the Corel dialog pops-up when I click on other videos when not using X3 (which isn't too often--read X3 most always running.) X3 has only been installed for ~10 days so the description may not be 100% accurate. Where are the programmers that wrote X3? Are they still employed by Corel? This isn't a flippant question in today's world of contract workers/programmers. Is Corel aware of what's going on in these forums? or are the forums user self help?

-Ed
edwinn

motherboard: Intel
processor: Dual 3.2 GHz Xeon
ram: 4 GB
Video Card: GeForce GTS 250 512 MB
sound_card: Integrated
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 1.5 - 2 TB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: Samsung 2243BWX - 1680x1050

Postby Kathy_9 on Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:19 pm

The forums are user to user. There are a couple Corel folks who stop by and offer assistance from time to time, but for the most part we are on our own.
Using PSP X6 without SP1 or SP2

http://www.flickr.com/photos/37153430@N03/
Kathy_9

operating_system: Windows 7 Professional
motherboard: MSI 2A9C
processor: 2.80 gigahertz Intel Core i7 860
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GT 220
sound_card: NVIDIA High Definition Audio
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 750GB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: HP 2010i 20" HD Ready LCD

Postby kal on Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:18 pm

I should have mentioned, whether I am using X3 or not the Corel PaintShop Photo Pro X3 window pops up. I don't understand why simply "selecting" an MP4 or AVI file would initiate the X3 config program. I still have not heard back from support.
kal

Postby CHMakoto on Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:38 pm

Hi all, I'm new as well for the same reason as kal.

However I've done a little experimenting and discovered;
1. MP4 has nothing to do with it, it can be any video extension. In my case the problem occurred with MKV files.
2. It's dependent on what program I am using to initially view the video.
3. For example, if I right click the file and choose open with Media Player Classic Home Cinema, then I get the same as the rest, the PSP install program starts running. But, if I perform the same action and choose Windows Media Player or Nero Show Time the file opens fine and the PSP installer does NOT run.
4. Media Player Classic Home Cinema is my default program for MKV files, so I wonder if that is significant. BTW, it doesn't matter if I right click or double click the file, as long as it's Media Player Classic Home Cinema, I get the joy of watching PSP fail to try and install again, although it is, in fact, nicely installed already.

At least till I get fed up with this. I mean, I ended up with 2 patches within minutes of installing the program using a fresh download. The means either the program is buggy or somebody is sloppy with their updates to the download page. Both are other than good.

I'll give a try of moving the default program and see if the problem moves with it.

Cheers,
Makoto

EDIT: Update - I discovered change default program did not help, but reinstalling CCCP (the source of Media Player Classic Home Cinema) did. After the reinstall I no longer have troubles with any video file, MP4, AVI, MKV or any others I've tried. I still don't understand what double-clicking a video file has to do with triggering PSP installer, but at least in my case, the reinstall of the offending, i.e. Media Player Classic Home Cinema, did the trick. Something similar might work for others. Additionally, PSP seems to be working fine so I don't think I've broken anything there (fingers crossed).
CHMakoto

motherboard: ASUS M2N32-SLI Deluxe Socket AM2
processor: AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+
Video Card: NVidia GeForce GTX 560 Ti
sound_card: Creative X-Fi Ultimate
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 6.5TB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: NEC MultiSync 90GX2

Postby steveblack on Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:43 am

Hi,

I found how to prevent this dialog box from appearing.
It's a little brute solution, but for me it works : I deleted the file "MediaCataloger.exe" located in the PSPClassic folder.
I noticed it was the process that was using lots of CPU time, and the dialog box didn't pop up since I deleted it.
Since I don't use this feature, it was acceptable for me.
steveblack

Postby JStanley on Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:09 pm

deleted
Last edited by JStanley on Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JStanley

operating_system: Windows XP Home

Postby ultrablue on Sat Aug 27, 2011 11:18 am

I had this problem with PSP X3 (13.2.1.20) on Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit. I have the K-Lite codec pack installed and all file types associated with Windows Media Player. When trying to open a MOV file, upon launching Windows Media Player it popped up this dialog. When I clicked cancel, it would play the file normally in Windows Media Player.

I fixed it by running the "Codec Tweak Tool" included in the "Tools" start menu folder under K-Lite Codec Pack, and then clicking "Manage Source Filters". Under "MP4" and "MOV" it had "unknown third party codec" selected; I set these back to "system default" and it has been happily playing this files ever since with no problems.

Hopefully that will help someone else who has this same annoying problem.
ultrablue

Postby iHaveTime on Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:10 am

Hi, i also had the same issue.
My solution was a bit brute, but working.

Just unregister the filters via command line:
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Corel\DirectShowComponents>regsvr32 /u CoreImgSrc.ax
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Corel\DirectShowComponents>regsvr32 /u CoreMovSrc.ax
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Corel\DirectShowComponents>regsvr32 /u CoreTransitions.dll
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Corel\DirectShowComponents2>regsvr32 /u CoreCaption.ax
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Corel\DirectShowComponents2>regsvr32 /u CoreNullXfrm.ax
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Corel\DirectShowComponents2>regsvr32 /u CoreVolume.ax

I'm not sure about the dll, but looks like it's all working :D
iHaveTime

Postby JStanley on Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:33 pm

deleted
JStanley

operating_system: Windows XP Home

Return to Paint Shop Pro