Jasc Paint shop pro 8 Crop issue

Corel Paint Shop Pro

Moderator: trueblue

Jasc Paint shop pro 8 Crop issue

Postby intel_corel on Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:45 pm

Hi,
When an image is croped it crashes .I have installed Jasc Paint shop pro 8 in Windows 7 .

Any solution for this issue.
Also any free upgrade which fixes this issue.
Attachments
Crop Issue.png
Crop issue
intel_corel

operating_system: Windows 7 Professional
System_Drive: C
32bit or 64bit: 32 Bit
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 50 GB

Re: Jasc Paint shop pro 8 Crop issue

Postby Ron P. on Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:48 pm

Welcome to the forums,

I don't know what help we can have with Jasc providing you a free upgrade, since they've been defunct for several years. I know that Corel does not provide free upgrades.

Before one of the Corel reps jumps in here with the "canned response" of it's not compatible with Win7, I'll ask are you able to, and are you running PSP 8 under compatibility mode? Aside from that, make sure that you change any special desktop appearances, such as in Vista, it was called Aeros, try running Windows Classic. The older programs don't much like the new desktop stuff, they were not written to know what or how to act with them.

Finally you can download the trial version of PSPP X3, to see if it might be time to upgrade. Just click on the Free Trials located at the top of the forums, nestled between the Corel Store and Patches and Updates links.

I still have Jasc PSP 9, running on my WinXP machine, and I haven't even attempted to install it on my Vista machine.
Ron Petersen, Web Board Administrator
Ron P.
Site Admin

operating_system: Windows 8
32bit or 64bit: 64 Bit
motherboard: Hewlett-Packard 2AF3 1.0
processor: 3.40 gigahertz Intel Core i7-4770
ram: 16GB
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 645
sound_card: NVIDIA High Definition Audio
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 4TB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: Dell SE198WFP-Desktop

Postby df on Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:37 am

I think by upgrade he really means update. I don't believe Corel has an update for that old of a version.

Here's what I would try.
Turn off User Account Control if you haven't already done so. Click the Windows key + R. Type msconfig into the run box and hit enter. The last tab (I think it's named tools) has something about activating, deactivating, or changing User Account Control. If it's Deactivate click that then click Launch button. If it's change then click that and take the slider to the bottom to deactivate it. You'll now need to log off your Windows account and log back on. You may get a message that says you need to restart your computer but that's not necessary.

Run the program in XP compatibility mode. I'm not on a Win7 machine right now so can't do a play by play, but you basically find the program itself (not the shortcut from the start menu or desktop), right click it, and one of the tabs lets you choose what compatibility it will start in I'd choose XP, but you have a few options.

There's also resetting the workspace. Hold the shift key while double clicking the PSP shortcut from your desktop. You'll lose any customizations you've done to the program so if you want to save those you can do that through the file menu of PSP BEFORE you reset the workspace.
Regards, Dan

"Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast."
df

operating_system: Windows 7 Home Premium
motherboard: ECS MCP61M-M3 7.0
processor: 3.10 gigahertz AMD Phenom II X2 550
ram: 16gb
Video Card: Nvidia GTX 650 Ti Boost
sound_card: onboard sound
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 4+ Tb
Monitor/Display Make & Model: Acer X223W & Acer X203H & HDTV

Postby LeviFiction on Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:23 am

Instead of typing "Msconfig" in the Run dialog you could just type "UserAccountControlSettings" A small shortcut.

The other potential option, if none of the others df suggested work, is to download the Windows XP virtual machine. Since you have Windows 7 Professional you can do that. XD And you just install PSP in that instead of on the regular OS. I don't particularly like this method, virtual machines aren't known for being the best way to run software. But if it comes to that http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/wind ... -windows-7

Also, df I could be wrong but I don't believe the Shift+Double Click option was available on earlier versions like PSP 8. Again I could be wrong, but I don't think so. If I'm not wrong you need to reset the preferences from the file menu.
LeviFiction
Advisor

operating_system: Windows 8 Pro
motherboard: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. K52F 1.0
processor: 2.53 gigahertz Intel Core i5 M 460
ram: 4GB
Video Card: Intel[R] HD Graphics
sound_card: Conexant SmartAudio HD
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 500GB

Postby df on Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:36 am

Levi, yeah I was wondering about the shift double click thing with an older version but thought I type it out anyways. And thanks for the Run dialog tip. I'll remember that.
Regards, Dan

df

Postby Tim Morrison on Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:41 am

Check your version is 8.10. It can be a bit confusing because there is also a version 8.01. But you need 8.10. If you don't have it you can get the patch from http://www.corel.com/servlet/Satellite/us/en/Content/1153321224268?pid=1208716792403.
You'll need the correct one for your installed language version. There are two versions of English... International and US.
Tim Morrison
C-Tech Volunteer
Tim Morrison

operating_system: Windows XP Pro
motherboard: Asus P4533
processor: 3.16 GHz
ram: 2GB
Video Card: Radeon HD4650
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 2.6 TB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: HP LP2275W

Postby intel_corel on Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:10 am

Hi All ,
Thanks for the reply. Both compatibility option and http://www.corel.com/servlet/Satellite/ ... 8716792403
didn't work in windows 7.

Any other solution or free upgrade version comptible with Windows 7.
intel_corel

Hard_Drive_Capacity: 50 GB

Postby Simone Corel UK on Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:45 am

@RonP: No, I'm not going to write this sentence :D
I work for the Corel UK Support. I will not give technical support through this forum and my answer is only related to this thread.
Simone Corel UK
Corel

operating_system: Windows 8

Postby df on Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:05 pm

Well if you're in the US the most current version is only $40 right now.

PSP 8 wasn't designed to work with Win7, seeing as Vista wasn't out yet. You could try reinstalling PSP 8, turning off all Antivirus, Firewall, Antispyware, UAC, etc.... options. Install as administrator, WinXP SP2 compatibility. Probably won't do anything different, but at this point what have you got to lose?
Last edited by df on Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Regards, Dan

df

Postby bobwiese on Sun Apr 24, 2011 12:58 pm

On the Crop crashing, not a fix but a workaround for me - maybe it will work for others - - I find the Crop tool only crashes when you begin your first crop in a vertical way (cropping down, then right). If you do your first crop beginning horizontally (right, then down), it doesn't appear to crash during that picture editing session regardless of how you do subsequent crops. Hmm, figure that one out. This is on Win 7 Pro using a Thinkpad T61 laptop.

or alternatively, enter some dimension in the Crop Toolbar area before you do any "mouse" cropping.

Bob
Last edited by bobwiese on Tue May 03, 2011 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
bobwiese

Postby IrishAirWolf on Mon May 02, 2011 10:13 am

I believe Bob is right, as I have PSP8 in WIndows 7 32bit and it seemed to be working fine, cropping, etc. when suddenly, it stopped and started crashing on crop. After reading Bob's post I realized that the first several crops actually started in the middle of the top of the page and then opened up from that point. I had uninstalled PSP8 when I ran across this and will reinstall and check this out. PS. I looked at the Corel compatibility list and pretty much the only photo program they list that they say works in windows 7 is Paint shop express and Paint shop pro X3. Not a particularly useful thing, is it? No upgrade or updates for any preceding program, free or not. I am not sure about running the program in virtual Windows XP mode as I could not get anything in virtual mode to print.........
IrishAirWolf

operating_system: Windows 7 Ultimate
processor: Pentium 4
ram: 2.5 GB
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 2 TB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: ACER

Return to Paint Shop Pro