How to remove PSPPX3 manually

Corel Paint Shop Pro

Moderator: trueblue

How to remove PSPPX3 manually

Postby sjj1805 on Sat May 29, 2010 12:51 am

Simone Corel UK wrote:Hi sjj1805

I work for the Corel support here in the UK and I would like to ask you to set these instructions - how to remove PSPPX3 manually - in front of all entries in this forum so that it's always visible. The old Ulead forum had always instructions in front of all others and it was a great help.

I noticed that many of the problems here in this forum only appear, because people only remove the software through the control panel. Unfortunately, because of the Project Creator, PSP isn't any longer the simple software as it was before.

After testing several procedures, I found the easiest and proper way to remove PSP as see below, and I wrote this article for our Corel knowledgebase.

Many thanks in advance

Simone

---------------------
How to remove Paint Shop Photo Pro X3 manually

a.) I have to remove the trial version in order to install the boxed version

b.) I received an error (error 1706 e.g.) while installing the first time and PSPPX3 is listed in Programs and Features in the Control Panel

Note:

Before you remove and install a program, patch or update, you have to log in as administrator. The only way to get full administrator access on Vista/Windows 7 is by turning of the User Account Control and right-click on a program, patch or update and go to "Run as Administrator". Otherwise, you will have problems working properly on your system.

Vista: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/wind ... -on-or-off
Windows 7: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/Wind ... -on-or-off

Before you uninstall a program, please check whether you have installed the program as a user or an administrator.
You will not find some parts of the program, if you are logged in as an user, but you installed the software with your administrator account.

1. Download the Clean up Utility in order to remove PSP X3 from here:

http://corel.custhelp.com/ci/fattach/ge ... 1264755038

and let's run after the download has finished.

2. Go to Start – Control Panel – Folder options - View

and activate “Show hidden Files and Folders”.

3. Go to:

C:\Program Files and open the folder "Installshield Installation Information"

and delete all folders inside.

4. Go to

C:\Program Files

and delete the folders "Corel" and "Ulead Systems"

Go to

C:\ProgramData\Corel (Vista/Windows 7)

and delete the folder "Corel" (respectively "Paint Shop Photo Pro", "Messages" and "Ulead Systems")

XP: Go to

C:\Documents and Settings\YOUR USERNAME\Application Data
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\

Vista/Windows 7: Go to

C:\Users\YOUR USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\
C:\Users\YOUR USERNAME\AppData\Local\

and delete the folder "Corel" (resp. "Paint Shop Photo Pro" and "Messages")

Go to

XP: C:\My Documents

Vista/Windows 7: C:\Users\YOUR USERNAME\Documents\

and delete "My Corel-Shows" and "My PSP Files"

5. Registry

Every program leaves keys in the Registry which need to be removed. Before you work in the registry, please make a backup copy by export the Registry first. If you make a mistake, then you can import the registry again.

Attention: If you have several Corel programs on your machine, please make sure that you carry out all the following instructions only for the program that you wish to remove.

Go to Start – Run and type “regedit” and press “Enter”.

If you work with Vista/Windows 7, type “regedit” in the Search box and press “Enter”.

Open the following keys:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\ and delete the folder "Corel"
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\ and delete the folder "Ulead Systems" or
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Ulead Systems\ and delete the folder "Corel PaintShop Photo Pro"
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ and delete the folder "Corel"
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ and delete the folder Ulead Systems or
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Ulead Systems\ and delete the folder "Corel PaintShop Photo Pro"

Close the Registry

6. Launch the computer as administrator and disable antivirus software. Now, install PSP X3 again.

Before installing, disable the Firewall and Antivirus software!
Regards, Steve Jones, Web Board Administrator
sjj1805

operating_system: Windows XP Pro
System_Drive: E
32bit or 64bit: 32 Bit
motherboard: Equium P200-178
processor: Intel Pentium Dual-Core Processor T2080
ram: 2 GB
Video Card: Intel 945 Express
sound_card: Intel GMA 950
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 1160 GB

Re: How to remove PSPPX3 manually

Postby marty2010 on Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:07 pm

Hello,

In the instructions it says:
"Note:

Before you remove and install a program, patch or update, you have to log in as administrator. The only way to get full administrator access on Vista/Windows 7 is by turning of the User Account Control"

Should the last word here say OFF instead of the word "of"?
Vista/Windows 7 is by turning of
Last edited by marty2010 on Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Best Regards,
Vaughan Martell
marty2010

operating_system: Windows 7 Home Premium
System_Drive: C
32bit or 64bit: 64 Bit
motherboard: Gigabyte Z68A-D3H-B3
processor: Intel Core i7 2600k
ram: 16GB
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB 8.17.12.8026
sound_card: Realtek
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 2TB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: Viewsonic , VX2250WM-LED, 2 each

Postby LeviFiction on Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:49 pm

It should say off but that still seems incorrect to me. I don't understand why it's being advised like that. The part of the UAC that we see is the notifications, this is usually what people turn off when they turn off the UAC. She then advises that you force it to run as Admin admitting that you still have to force it into admin mode. I don't see what turning off the notifications does to improve your access.

Especially since anything done by a program with admin access automatically is done with admin access. Including running other programs. The UAC does not prevent this if the program is run as admin.

And despite the claim that it's the "only" way to gain full admin access, I don't agree.
LeviFiction
Advisor

operating_system: Windows 8 Pro
motherboard: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. K52F 1.0
processor: 2.53 gigahertz Intel Core i5 M 460
ram: 4GB
Video Card: Intel[R] HD Graphics
sound_card: Conexant SmartAudio HD
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 500GB

Postby marty2010 on Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:22 pm

Basicall, if you are logged on the computer as Administrator.

... then just RightClick the setup filename and select RunAsAdministrator and you should be good to go?
Without also turning off UAC?
Best Regards,
Vaughan Martell
marty2010

motherboard: Gigabyte Z68A-D3H-B3
processor: Intel Core i7 2600k
ram: 16GB
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB 8.17.12.8026
sound_card: Realtek
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 2TB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: Viewsonic , VX2250WM-LED, 2 each

Postby LeviFiction on Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:36 pm

Well...I readily admit that Simone could have a better understanding than me. If she's correct, and something won't work with the UAC turned on, then it's best to follow the instructions as written anyway. You know, I wouldn't trust what I say. I'm just hoping some clarification might be presented. Because otherwise, yeah there should be no reason for turning off the UAC.
LeviFiction
Advisor

Postby df on Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:24 pm

I've had more than a few programs that simply refuse to do certain tasks with UAC turned on. No matter if you run as administrator or not, it just refuses to do that task. On the flip side the only thing I can't seem to do with UAC off is to act as an administrator on a non-admin account (I don't give admin permissions to my 14 year old's acct for example).

I use a website builder program for my website for example, it simply will not save anything that you've edited if UAC is turned on. You can set it to run permanently as admin and give it as many permissions as you'd like, but it will never save anything that you're working on and UAC will never ask for any permissions at all, it just blocks the program silently. But it's not like the program just won't run, you can open it up and spend hours working on things. But since the program won't let you publish the website without saving and you can't save then you've just been practicing for the last few hours. In other words, it renders the program completely useless and a huge waste of time.

Another problem with UAC is when it was first introduced it asked for permissions for every thing. I got trained pretty quickly to just click OK when it popped up. Well that didn't help at all when something I didn't want popped up and I instinctively clicked OK. It's not so bad anymore but as I've noted there are programs that just simply will not do certain things. I believe it has something to do with a program that accesses and saves to a root folder that the program itself is not in, but I'm just guessing on that one.
Regards, Dan

"Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast."
df

motherboard: ECS MCP61M-M3 7.0
processor: 3.10 gigahertz AMD Phenom II X2 550
ram: 16gb
Video Card: Nvidia GTX 650 Ti Boost
sound_card: onboard sound
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 4+ Tb
Monitor/Display Make & Model: Acer X223W & Acer X203H & HDTV

Postby LeviFiction on Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:06 pm

Which website builder do you use? I've never experienced such a problem before. Frontpage, Expression Web, Dreamweaver, Nvu, Kompozer, they all work fine for me. Such an odd thing. But since there does appear to be an instance I retract my objection. I will have to do more research on it though, as until df posted even searching google I didn't find an actual instance of the UAC being the problem.
LeviFiction
Advisor

Postby df on Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:03 pm

I was using Yahoo's Sitebuilder.
Regards, Dan

"Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast."
df

motherboard: ECS MCP61M-M3 7.0
processor: 3.10 gigahertz AMD Phenom II X2 550
ram: 16gb
Video Card: Nvidia GTX 650 Ti Boost
sound_card: onboard sound
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 4+ Tb
Monitor/Display Make & Model: Acer X223W & Acer X203H & HDTV

Postby Simone Corel UK on Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:53 pm

Hi to all

thanks for the correction to "off". You are right, Marty.

Okay, let me explain why I wrote "turning off the UAC and using run as administrator".

I'm not an expert for Windows, but I like sorting out issues.

We got many customers who had to reactivate download versions again and again. I went to our Windows 7 machine (it's the same for Vista), turned off the UAC and activated my ESD version.
I restarted the machine, launched my software and was asked again for an activation. I activated it and it was noticed as re-activation.
I launched the software by clicking on "run as administrator", activated again and re-started the system. When I opened my software, no request for an activation.
Don't ask me why Windows technically works in that way.

My instructions above are a result of testing on several OS and different procedures. Until now, it worked fine for all customers.
I work for the Corel UK Support. I will not give technical support through this forum and my answer is only related to this thread.
Simone Corel UK
Corel

operating_system: Windows 8

Postby Simone Corel UK on Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:29 pm

Please note that there is a new version 1.9 of the CDS removing tool available. Please take this one

http://corel.custhelp.com/ci/fattach/get/18706/1281606771
I work for the Corel UK Support. I will not give technical support through this forum and my answer is only related to this thread.
Simone Corel UK
Corel

Postby Simone Corel UK on Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:13 am

Hi to all

With version 1.9, the new removing tool doesn't remove the software, but only some necessary keys in the registry. But it works fine by following these slightly changed instructions:

Note:

Before you remove and install a program, patch or update, you have to log in as administrator. The only way to get full administrator access on Vista/Windows 7 is by turning off the User Account Control and right-click on a program, patch or update and go to "Run as Administrator". Otherwise, you will have problems working properly on your system.

Before you uninstall a program, please check whether you have installed the program as a user or an administrator.
You will not find some parts of the program, if you are logged in as an user, but you installed the software with your administrator account.

CDS 2010 Clean-Up ver1.9.exe

http://corel.custhelp.com/ci/fattach/get/18706/1281606771

2. Go to Start – Control Panel – Add or Remove Programs (XP)/Programs and Features (Vista/Windows 7) and remove PSPPX3

3. Go to Start – Control Panel – Folder options - View

4. Go to:

C:\Program Files and open the folder "Installshield Installation Information"

and delete all folders inside.

5. Go to

Go to

and delete the folder "Corel" (respectively "Paint Shop Photo Pro", "Messages" and "Ulead Systems")

and delete the folder "Corel" (respectively "Paint Shop Photo Pro" and "Messages")

Go to

6. Registry

Every program leaves keys in the Registry which need to be removed. Before you work in the registry, please make a backup copy by export the Registry first. If you make a mistake, then you can import the registry again.
Attention: If you have several Corel programs on your machine, please make sure that you carry out all the following instructions only for the program that you wish to remove.

If you work with Vista/Windows 7, type “regedit” in the Search box and press “Enter”.

Open the following keys:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Ulead Systems\ and delete the folder "Corel PaintShop Photo Pro"

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Ulead Systems\ and delete the folder "Corel PaintShop Photo Pro"

Please note that Windows 7 64bit puts the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE keys for 32bit Software into a special folder called, Wow6432Node".

Close the Registry

7. Launch the computer as administrator and disable antivirus software. Now, install PSP X3 again.

Simone Corel UK
Corel

Postby JRosenfeld on Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:45 am

I am a little dubious about your step 4, deleting everything in C:\Program Files\InstallShield Installation Information.
I have many apps that were installed with installshield, not just Corel's and each has a folder under C:\Program Files\InstallShield Installation Information. I don't think that I should delete the inormation folders relating to those.
JRosenfeld

motherboard: Dell XPS 630i [Dell Inc 0PP150 A00]
processor: 2.40 gigahertz Intel Core2 Quad
ram: 3GB
Video Card: nVidia 8800GT
sound_card: Creative Audigy 2
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 2x250GB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: Dell 1800FP

Postby Simone Corel UK on Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:18 pm

@ JRosenfeld

Hi to all

In contrast to the folder "Uninstall Information", the folder "Installshield Installation Information" contains only information regarding an installation. Please don't mismatch both folders!

Why can we delete all files in "Installshield Installation Information"?

Microsoft puts for each program several keys related to the program into this "Installshield Installation Information" folder. Unfortunately, there's no chance to sort the files; Microsoft put them unsorted (Tools -> Sort by doesn't work). If you don't delete files in that folder in a regular basis, there might be many keys inside and it's very difficult to find the ones for PSPPX3 in this case.

What do the keys contain in "Installshield Installation Information"?

They contain information about the installation process (version, install path, serial number, user name etc).

If you don't delete these keys, then you will notice while re-installing a software that (e.g.) it was not necessary to enter the serial number again.

If you install a trial version and you remove a software without deleting these keys in that folder, after installing a software from CD/DVD, you will again launch the software as a trial. Why? Because the Microsoft Installer put this information into "Installshield Installation Information", "always install this particular software as trial".

Because these information are not relevant for re-installing a software and don't damage the system, therefore, deleting the keys in that folder is fine from a position as technical supporter.
Simone Corel UK
Corel

Postby JRosenfeld on Wed Sep 29, 2010 5:02 pm

Thank you for that clear explanation.
JRosenfeld

motherboard: Dell XPS 630i [Dell Inc 0PP150 A00]
processor: 2.40 gigahertz Intel Core2 Quad
ram: 3GB
Video Card: nVidia 8800GT
sound_card: Creative Audigy 2
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 2x250GB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: Dell 1800FP

Postby Simone Corel UK on Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:36 am

After testing PSPPX3 on a virtual machine, I noticed that PSPPX3 doesn't use Installshield any longer. I now changed my instructions again.

For all who still followed the old instructions, as I wrote to JRosenfeld, deleting folders inside the Installshield Installation Information folder will not damage any installation or other system parts.

Note:

Before you remove and install a program, patch or update, you have to log in as administrator. The only way to get full administrator access on Vista/Windows 7 is by turning off the User Account Control and right-click on a program, patch or update and go to "Run as Administrator". Otherwise, you will have problems working properly on your system.

You will not find some parts of the program, if you are logged in as an user, but you installed the software with your administrator
account.

CDS 2010 Clean-Up ver1.9.exe

http://corel.custhelp.com/ci/fattach/ge ... 1281606771

2. Go to Start – Control Panel – Add or Remove Programs (XP)/Programs and Features (Vista/Windows 7) and remove PSPPX3

3. Go to Start – Control Panel – Folder options - View

4. Go to

Go to

and delete the folder "Corel" (respectively "Paint Shop Photo Pro" and "Messages")

Go to

5. Registry

Every program leaves keys in the Registry which need to be removed. Before you work in the registry, please make a backup copy by export

the Registry first. If you make a mistake, then you can import the registry again.

Attention: If you have several Corel programs on your machine, please make sure that you carry out all the following instructions only

for the program that you wish to remove.

Open the following keys:

Please note that Windows 7 64bit puts the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE keys for 32bit Software into a special folder called, Wow6432Node".

Close the Registry

6. Launch the computer as administrator and disable antivirus software. Now, install PSP X3 again.

Simone Corel UK
Corel

Next

Return to Paint Shop Pro