NEW! Corel PaintShop Pro 2018

tremendously long startup

Corel Paint Shop Pro

Moderator: trueblue

tremendously long startup

Postby toejam » Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:20 am

I was looking forward to the advertised 50% improvement in startup speed with PaintShop Pro 2018, however, this is not happening with my app. The new psp 2018 takes a VERY long time - I have to leave and come back at least an hour later. I've got a sneaky suspicion that the app indexes content on my computer, which has several mapped drives to NASs, holding up to 25 tb in data. This is my prime suspect for why the app would take over an hour just to start up. So, for the next time I get it up and running, is there anything I can do to stop psp 2018 from scanning my computer drives for changes?

Thank you for your constructive feedback.
toejam

operating_system: Windows 10
System_Drive: C
32bit or 64bit: 64 Bit
processor: i7-6700
ram: 16 gb
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 28 tb
Monitor/Display Make & Model: dual generic
Corel programs: PaintShop Pro 2018, VideoStudio x10.5

Re: tremendously long startup

Postby PoohBear » Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:32 pm

I have similar issue, installed it, takes 5:30 seconds to start.
Started it up with the "Shift" held down, same result.

So far a bit disappointed by it, deleted part of a picture, next second part of it comes back again, delete that bit again do something else and it reappears again.

Also the interface looks like a toy now, something from Windows 3.1 days.
PoohBear

Postby toejam » Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:45 am

I'm pretty sure my problem is that I have large network drives that hold hundreds of thousands of photos from my security cameras and they are constantly adding/deleting images daily. When psp starts I believe it is indexing all the photos on my computer, which includes the network drives and it simply takes forever to go through all of those files and directories. I chatted with corel tech support and they don't have a method to tell psp NOT to index the drives, so, I had to disable the "Manage" tab so psp doesn't attempt to manage all of my photos.

It's a crude fix, but, is the only way that I can use psp 2018 until they come up with a more elegant solution. In psp x9 you could assign which drives/folders you wanted managed. Psp 2018 just assumes it's going to manage the entire computer. In my case, this is not a good option.

I have noticed some flaky operations as well, but, am tending to overlook them at this time. I'm sure corel will come out with a patch to start addressing some of the known issues. WRT the interface, I selected the Complete workspace, it works for me.
toejam

Postby hartpaul » Sat Dec 02, 2017 1:33 pm

I have both Manage and Edit mode tabs available but I start in Edit mode so it does not get to cataloging.
Have you tried Preferences > General Program Preferences > Manage and add the drives / folders you don't want cataloged under Uncataloged Folders .
Systems XP, Win7, Win 8.1,Win 10 Version 1607 Build 14393.1770
hartpaul
Advisor

motherboard: AsusTex P7P55D
processor: IntelCore I 5 2.67 Ghz
ram: 8 Gb
Video Card: Nvidia GeForce GTX 460
sound_card: Nvidia High Definition Audio
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 2000 Gb
Monitor/Display Make & Model: BenQ T2200HD
Corel programs: PSP8,X2 to X9,2018

Postby toejam » Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:11 pm

Have not tried that. I just installed the upgrade from x9 to 2018 and the first thing I noticed (after the hour long startup) was that my entire computer and network was listed in the manage tab, so, the app apparently starts out of the gate indexing/cataloging your entire computer system - not a good option in my case. I did not find an option to unselect drive, but, did find an option to turn off manage tab, so, hopefully, psp is not attempting to index my entire computer.

A new bug I'm finding is when I make a new file, the New Image window opens. My User Presets is filled with what looks like business card/envelope/postcard presets. The Photo's is filled with User Presets. My Paper is filled with Photo templates. It appears to be jumbling all of the templates into different folders, not applicable to their uses.
toejam

Postby Zantara » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:26 pm

@hartpaul...I can't seem to find the option Manage in General Program Preferences. I am not working in Essential mode.
At first 2018 was fast, but it only took a few times to start 2018 for it to slow down to snalespace. X7 and X9 are a lot faster.
Zantara

processor: i3-2100 3.10 Ghz
ram: 4Gb
Video Card: NVIDEA GeForce GT 540M
Corel programs: PSP X7/X8/X9 32-bit/2018-64-bit

Postby JoeB » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:51 am

Zantara wrote:@hartpaul...I can't seem to find the option Manage in General Program Preferences. I am not working in Essential mode.
At first 2018 was fast, but it only took a few times to start 2018 for it to slow down to snalespace. X7 and X9 are a lot faster.

I believe you are working with the Dutch language version. Does your Preferences dialogue have all of the items shown in the attachement? If not, which ones are missing? Just Manage?
Attachments
preferences.gif
Regards,

JoeB
Using PSP 2018, 32-bit
JoeB

operating_system: Windows 8.1
motherboard: LENOVO 4524PE4 ThinkCentre M91p
processor: 3.10 gigahertz Intel Quad Core i5-2400
ram: 8 GB
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 4.6 TB
Corel programs: PSP 9, X7 to 2018, 32 & 64-bit

Postby Ozric » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:26 pm

JoeB wrote:
Zantara wrote:@hartpaul...I can't seem to find the option Manage in General Program Preferences. I am not working in Essential mode.

I believe you are working with the Dutch language version. Does your Preferences dialogue have all of the items shown in the attachement? If not, which ones are missing? Just Manage?

I decided to look at mine (English (US) Language and the option Manage is not there.
Attachments
sshot-71.jpg
Ozric

motherboard: ASUS X-99 Deluxe
processor: Intel Haswell
ram: 32GB
Video Card: nVidia GeForce GTX 960
sound_card: ASUS Essence SXT
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 7 TB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: Visio

Postby JoeB » Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:01 pm

OK, your screenshot pointed to what I believe is the answer to the issue. If you uncheck Manage as a visible tab under the Tabs option then Manage will disappear from the categories in the left pane. That's because if you aren't going to use the Manage workspace - or at least have it available for use as a tab - then there is no need for you to access the options that are only relevant to that workspace.
Regards,

JoeB
Using PSP 2018, 32-bit
JoeB

operating_system: Windows 8.1
motherboard: LENOVO 4524PE4 ThinkCentre M91p
processor: 3.10 gigahertz Intel Quad Core i5-2400
ram: 8 GB
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 4.6 TB
Corel programs: PSP 9, X7 to 2018, 32 & 64-bit

Postby Zantara » Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:52 am

@Ozric...thanks for the screenshot..that's how I have my settings.
I only have the Home Icon and the Edit tab. Never made the connection between the Manage option in preferences and the tab Manage :oops:

@Joe...
The Dutch version has all the options the English one has.
But, for reasons Ozric explained...I don't have the Manage option, because I got rid of that setting.

However...if I've understood the posts correctly...one uses the Manage options to uncheck folders/drives from checking at start-up in order to speed up the startup process.

So how do you speed up the startup time of 2018 then?
Zantara

processor: i3-2100 3.10 Ghz
ram: 4Gb
Video Card: NVIDEA GeForce GT 540M
Corel programs: PSP X7/X8/X9 32-bit/2018-64-bit

Postby Ozric » Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:54 pm

I installed PSP 2018 when it first came out and everything was fine. Startup times were very fast. After I installed the Windows Creators Update, things changed. PSP 2018 was taking longer and longer to load. My original start up times were about 15 to 20 seconds, after the Windows Creators Update it varies between 45 seconds to 90 seconds. If I reboot the PC, it will load very fast again, but after using the PC for a few hours,, the load times get slower and slower. I suspect that something in PSP 2018 is not playing well with something in the Updated Version Windows, or something in Windows is using resources and not freeing them up when it should. I used to be able to restart Explorer.exe and things would be fast again, not the case after the Windows Creators Update. I have also noticed slowdowns on occasion when using the crop tool, and sometimes the program stops responding while in use for a few seconds, issues I never had before. For me it does not seem to matter if the Manage Tab is turned on or off. I hope Corel looks into this and releases a service pack to address the performance issues.

There is another thread that I started earlier that talks about this as well.
http://forum.corel.com/EN/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=62747
Ozric

motherboard: ASUS X-99 Deluxe
processor: Intel Haswell
ram: 32GB
Video Card: nVidia GeForce GTX 960
sound_card: ASUS Essence SXT
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 7 TB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: Visio

Postby rondo » Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:36 pm

Possible solution to Windows 10 problems effecting Corel programs- reinstall in Windows 7 compatibility mode.
rondo

operating_system: Vista Home Premium
motherboard: Gigabyte
processor: Intel Quad Core Q9550
ram: 8GB
Video Card: Nvidia 660
sound_card: creative x-fi
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 1TB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: Asus ProArt

Postby CHoffman » Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:15 am

Mine starts up in under 5 seconds, but I don't let it index anything. That's a "feature" I won't allow, feeling it's almost an invasion of privacy for a program to crawl my system looking for files. I can't imagine that there are people who like, want or use that feature, and with multi TB of storage space it's going to be nothing but trouble. I start up in edit mode, ready to go.
CHoffman

motherboard: Asus Z270-A
processor: i7700K 4.2 GHz
ram: 16.0 GB
Video Card: Nvidia K1200
sound_card: integrated or Nvidia or Emu
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 2T+SSD
Monitor/Display Make & Model: Viewsonic VP2468
Corel programs: Paintshop Pro 2018 & bundle