NEW! Corel PaintShop Pro 2018

What DON'T you like about PSP 2018?

Corel Paint Shop Pro

Moderator: trueblue

What DON'T you like about PSP 2018?

Postby JoeB » Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:46 am

I started this thread because I think it's needed. I don't think this thread should be used in place of the Wishlist thread, which should be about things people would like to see either added to PSP or, at least, changes in general to the program. I'm hoping that this thread deals specifically about things in PSP 2018 that are new and not the same as things in previous programs. That way it won't get too cluttered with posts non-specific to the topic.

As I started the thread, I'll start with the first thing I dislike about 2018.

The crop tool is what I don't like. What is with the grey areas around the image as soon as you invoke the tool? Perhaps it's the result of the tool rotating the image instead of the crop rectangle. And I don't see the purpose of that, because rotating the rectangle worked for the same purpose. That extra grey space means that the image is now larger than the image window, resulting in scroll bars right and bottom, which are simply distracting and serve no useful purpose that I can see except to allow scrolling into grey areas.

And I must have misunderstood what the user guide means by Crop Shading Areas. I was hoping it meant those grey areas and that turning that off in preferences would solve the issue but apparently that's not what it means at apparently as has been pointed out to me in a subsequent post. :-) But it would be nice if there was an option to prevent the grey areas from happening, and even choosing a legacy option so that the whole thing worked as before.
Last edited by JoeB on Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Regards,

JoeB
Using PSP 2018, 32-bit
JoeB

operating_system: Windows 8.1
System_Drive: C
32bit or 64bit: 64 Bit
motherboard: LENOVO 4524PE4 ThinkCentre M91p
processor: 3.10 gigahertz Intel Quad Core i5-2400
ram: 8 GB
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 4.6 TB
Corel programs: PSP 9, X7 to 2018, 32 & 64-bit

Re: What DON'T you like about PSP 2018?

Postby hartpaul » Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:54 am

I think the crop shading areas are those areas outside the crop rectangle which are shaded darker than the part of the image inside the crop rectangle.

Yes I don't think this change to the crop tool was a good one and similar to the forced Save As introduced in X8 I hope they realize their error and revert back to the the time honored way of using the crop tool.

Don't know why they made that change. Did Corel get some complaints about the way the crop tool behaved and ask for the change or was this some bright sparks attempt to make PSP more efficient.

I know if you did rotate the crop rectangle in earlier versions then that rotated rectangle followed on to later images in a session and was very difficult to get back to the horizontal by hand, but just using the Reset to Default inside the presets dialog solved that one.
Systems XP, Win7, Win 8.1,Win 10 Version 1607 Build 14393.1770
hartpaul
Advisor

operating_system: Windows 10
motherboard: AsusTex P7P55D
processor: IntelCore I 5 2.67 Ghz
ram: 8 Gb
Video Card: Nvidia GeForce GTX 460
sound_card: Nvidia High Definition Audio
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 2000 Gb
Monitor/Display Make & Model: BenQ T2200HD
Corel programs: PSP8,X2 to X9,2018

Re: What DON'T you like about PSP 2018?

Postby LeviFiction » Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:23 am

PSP 2018 gained a really cool ability with the eraser tool, it maintains the original transparency of a layer when you un-erase. Unfortunately this broke another feature, the ability to clean up the results of the object Extractor and will probably come across as annoying in other ways too.

In case you don't know what I'm talking about here is a short video demonstrating the eraser tool on a feathered layer first in X9 and then in 2018: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8FlFL ... pFRkE/view

Something I love because it means I can undo eraser marks without having to use "Undo" on layers like this. No more black pixels being "restored" on me. But because I do sometimes need to clean up the result of the Object Extractor, this hurts because now I can't clean it up the way I used to. I have to use the clone brush instead which is a lot harder because you have to be precise in your alignment.
LeviFiction
Advisor

operating_system: Windows 10
Corel programs: PSP (Installed): XI, X7, X8,X9

Return to Paint Shop Pro