NEW! Corel PaintShop Pro 2018

Media Studio Pro 8 codec insanity! ffdshow?

Media Studio Pro 8 codec insanity! ffdshow?

Postby sounddoctorin » Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:46 pm

I can't find anyone else having this trouble. I'm not sure if it happened when something in windows upgraded (xp) or if it happened as a result of me trying to figure how to import .mov files but anyway suddenly ALL of my projects come up with nothing in the boxes in the codec settings. And thus I can't compress anything to a reasonable size but rather have to save it raw I guess.... Then use something external.

crap. one hang up after another for me over the years. By the time I get something running and do a few things with it something changes and it's 'busted'...

I load projects where it would create a 50M file or whatever... and the settings are all gone so it just gives me this bogus error message and it took me a bit to figure out that this is at the source of it. SOOOO I select MJPEG because it's the only one that comes up of the five possibilities including no compression.... that doesn't make my movies run in slo-mo

After that it makes a 349M video file into ohh...550M or so. Gee neat trick! Compress it and make it a time and a half the size!

But wait there's more! If I reduce quality it makes no size difference until you get to '1' when it makes nothing but GRAIN for quality (you literally see nothing but static) and the file size is goign to be 3.5GIG it said! LOL!

I finally tried 'quantize' instead of 'quality' over there at the right... and initially I thought "yay I found it!" because it made a file about 80M out of it..at '2'. But oops... look..it's kinda real huge pixels. Way poorer than I used to get at that size of file for a 4 minute 640x480 30fps or 29.97..

Anyway so I go to '4' instead. Wham right back to 550M or so! Oh but WAIT..there's more! If I go to 1' it crashes. If I try '2' again on the slider it just makes a huge file again! IT's like..some demon is just playing with the outcome to piss me off. What is going on?
sounddoctorin

Re: Media Studio Pro 8 codec insanity! ffdshow?

Postby sounddoctorin » Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:07 am

I found that unloading ffdshow and loading the community codec thing made no difference. I also just 'repaired' the program... and it made no difference. I found a PUP with Malewarebytes that was from movtoavi, a program I'd loaded to try to import .mov files from my new camera! There were only three on my whole system it caught that hadn't been caught by other s/w. It seems ODD because that is precisely I believe the place where i started having the problems. I was trying to do a video conversion for someone that had .mov format also and I remember downloading several things to try to make his work. I was finally able to get an output but I think that was the last project that outputted. Then I started getting error messages and found out it was because there were NO CODECS SELECTED in my settings..in ALL my templates!!! what the heck?
sounddoctorin

Return to MediaStudio Pro