16:9 instead of 4:3 output

Postby asande on Wed Jun 01, 2005 10:33 pm

I've been having a few intermittent problems since upgrading to SP3. When I render mpeg video, occasionally the resulting file will be in 16:9 format.

All of my source video uses a 4:3 aspect ratio, my project settings indicate a 4:3 ratio, and my output settings also show that a 4:3 video will be produced.

My problem, resulting in the creation of a 16:9 aspect ratio video, occurs randomly on both computers I use for editing. Computer #1 is an Athlon 2400+, ATI All-In-Wonder video card, sufficient disk space for rendering and temporary files, and 768 megs of RAM. MSP7 was installed and upgraded as follows, under Windows 2000 Professional (with latest OS patches).

- MSP 7.0, initial version
- SP1 applied
- SP2 skipped because of rumoured problems with ATI's drivers
- SP3 applied.

This happens with both high and low bitrate renders (ranging from 1.5 mbps bitrate and a 352x240 frame size to an 8.0 mbps bitrate with 720x480 frame size.

I've also had this happen occasionally on my laptop - which is a Dell Dimension 8500, 2 Ghz P4M, and 512 megs RAM. I'm also using Windows 2000 Pro with latest MS patches on the Dell. MSP7 was installed and SP3 applied to the new installation. I only use this setup for video editing, so there isn't much other software installed (other than my standard bunch of utilities). I did do a format and clean install a couple of weeks back when I upgraded to SP3.

This happened to me this morning again. I should also mention that I usually "preview" the video to create the MPG files before rendering the final output. I find if I don't do this, more often than not MSP7 exits somewhat less than gracefully partially through the rendering process.

I solved this morning's problem by re-rendering the video with smartrender off - which of course took a couple of hours to complete (other than the 5 or 6 minutes it usually takes to save the file after I've already previewed the video).

Has anyone else had similar problems with SP3? I don't recall this happening with any DV editing and output - just MPEG2 - but most of my video is from an analog capture from older cameras, not DV from my new camera. I've also never encountered this with any other service packs...

Any suggestions? I do have a (time consuming) workaround, but would rather solve the problem sooner rather than later...

Regards, Al
asande

Return to MediaStudio Pro