Machine spec and Windows 7

Postby Bomoh on Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:18 pm

I have suffered a house fire and need to completely rebuild my vid edit capabilities.
What is now considered a decent (not extreme ultimate) machine spec to run MSP 8?
What are the compatibility issues with Windows 7?
Would I be better to build the system with XP installed.
I do not want to move away from MSP8 as I am familiar with it and always found it to be better than all alternatives.
Michael John Blakeway
Bomoh

operating_system: Windows XP Pro
System_Drive: C

Re: Machine spec and Windows 7

Postby Ron P. on Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:27 am

Any of the current PCs will have more than enough resources to run MSP. What you do not want is Win7 or Vista for that matter. MSP 8 will run on Vista, however there are some quirks, like only being able to hear the audio in Quick Play mode. If you have the ability to use Win XP that's what I would do. I still have my old WinXP desktop, and still use it along with MSP 8.
Ron Petersen, Web Board Administrator
Ron P.
Site Admin

operating_system: Windows 8
32bit or 64bit: 64 Bit
motherboard: Hewlett-Packard 2AF3 1.0
processor: 3.40 gigahertz Intel Core i7-4770
ram: 16GB
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 645
sound_card: NVIDIA High Definition Audio
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 4TB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: Dell SE198WFP-Desktop

Postby Gorf on Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:43 pm

MSP7 works fine in Windows 7 if you run it using something like Oracle's VitrualBox. Obviously, it will require a beefier machine because it means you're running two operating systems.

I see no reason as to why MSP8 will not also work. I just saw my install CD - I'll try it out and report back this afternoon...
Gorf
Advisor

Postby teknisyan on Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:13 pm

Hello Bomoh,

MSP8 is not compatible with Windows Vista and Windows 7, we cannot stop you from using 3rd party programs like what Gorf is suggesting and even use the Windows Compatibility mode, since MSP 8 was created even before Windows vista was in develop, we cannot assure the stability of the program.
Like reading blogs?
About Tech
About Sports
Pnoy.Me - A URL Shortener
Follow me on Facebook & Twitter
teknisyan

operating_system: Windows 7 Home Premium
32bit or 64bit: 64 Bit
motherboard: Sony Corporation VAIO
processor: Intel Corel i5
ram: 4 GB
Video Card: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5650
sound_card: Realtek HD Audio
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 500 GB

Postby Gorf on Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:27 am

MSP8 runs acceptably on a WinXP guest using VirtualBocx on a Win7 host. There is a bigger relative difference in performance between MSP7 and MSP8 - on my old laptop running XP native they seemed to respond fairly equally, whereas through VirtualBox MSP8 seems more sluggish compared to MSP7. I reckon it's because Ulead saw fit to write use their own GUI for MSP8 whereas the windows API was used for MSP7
Gorf
Advisor

Postby Gorf on Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:16 pm

Gorf wrote:MSP7 works fine in Windows 7 if you run it using something like Oracle's VitrualBox. Obviously, it will require a beefier machine because it means you're running two operating systems.

I see no reason as to why MSP8 will not also work. I just saw my install CD - I'll try it out and report back this afternoon...

OK - here's a video of MSP8 being installed and updated using Oracle VirtualBox with Windows 7 as the host and Windows XP as the guest. There's also a very brief edit to show it working.

VirtualBox is configured to use fullscreen/seamless mode. It means the whole laptop screen can be used instead of running XP in an window - but it can get confusing having the two taskbars.

The laptop is a dualcore 2.4 Ghz machine with one gig allocated to XP - MSP8 runs about as well as it did on my old 1.6 GHz laptop running XP natively

The video was captured using screen capture software and edited on the very same MSP8 install to speed up or remove any unnecessary bits, and hide my serial numbers. I've mistakenly referred to the service pack as SP3.
Gorf
Advisor

Return to MediaStudio Pro