How to put UNCOMPRESED AVI file in MediaStudio Pro timeline

Postby anny on Sun Oct 03, 2010 4:05 pm

Hello!

I would like to know, is it possible to put in timeline UNCOMPRESSED AVI video file, what is made in ADOBE PREMIERE PRO. I can put in MediaStudio Pro COMPRESSED AVI video file, but it do not work the same with UNCOMPRESSED AVI video file. Maybe it will be possible, if it will be special plug in downloaded?
anny

operating_system: Windows XP Pro
System_Drive: C
32bit or 64bit: 32 Bit
motherboard: I have PORTATIVE COMPUTER
processor: 1.30 gigahertz Intel Celeron M -PortativeComputer
ram: 32GB
Video Card: SoundMAX Integrated Digital Audio
sound_card: SoundMAX Integrated Digital Audio
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 40.00 Giga

Re: How to put UNCOMPRESED AVI file in MediaStudio Pro time

Postby skier-hughes on Sun Oct 03, 2010 4:52 pm

Could you check your pc specs, you say you have a 1.3g processor, but 32gb of ram, and 40gb of hard drive. Is it a notebook or desktop.

An uncompressed avi file will take up approx 60gb of hdd space for each hour, so unless the file is only matter of a minute or so long you are going to have dificulty with space.

dv.avi is the most common avi file and can be used in any video editing app, this only takes up 13gb per hour, so you are much more likely to be able to use this sort of file on your pc.
skier-hughes
Microsoft MVP

operating_system: Windows 8
32bit or 64bit: 64 Bit
motherboard: gigabyte
processor: Intel core 2 6420 2.13GHz
ram: 4GB
Video Card: NVidia GForce 8500GT
sound_card: onboard
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 36GB 2TB

Postby anny on Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:10 am

skier-hughes wrote:Could you check your pc specs, you say you have a 1.3g processor, but 32gb of ram, and 40gb of hard drive. Is it a notebook or desktop.

An uncompressed avi file will take up approx 60gb of hdd space for each hour, so unless the file is only matter of a minute or so long you are going to have dificulty with space.

dv.avi is the most common avi file and can be used in any video editing app, this only takes up 13gb per hour, so you are much more likely to be able to use this sort of file on your pc.

Video is 2 min long. When I dubble click on timeline and shoosing video file, than it works just with COMPRESSED AVI, but not with UNCOMPRESSED AVI. I have portative computer.
anny

operating_system: Windows XP Pro
32bit or 64bit: 32 Bit
motherboard: I have PORTATIVE COMPUTER
processor: 1.30 gigahertz Intel Celeron M -PortativeComputer
ram: 32GB
Video Card: SoundMAX Integrated Digital Audio
sound_card: SoundMAX Integrated Digital Audio
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 40.00 Giga

Postby Gorf on Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:24 am

Uncompressed video works fine on the MSP timeline, without the need for extra plugins or codecs. If your uncompressed AVI is not being recognised, it's likely that either
  • it's not really uncompressed
  • its FourCC code is wrong
As skier says, your system specs look a bit odd. 32GB memory looks out of place with the o/s, HDD space and processor, so I'm guessing it should read 32MB, which is still painfully low for XP. If your uncompressed AVI is being read from an external drive, that will also result in a pretty major bottleneck depending on
  • the bitrate of the video in the file (see below)
  • the USB (or whatever) standard used for the connection

skier-hughes wrote:...An uncompressed avi file will take up approx 60gb of hdd space for each hour...

Where did that figure come from??? The file size depends on more than just duration - colour depth, framerate and resolution are all factors.
One hour of CIF resolution RGB at 15fps is 15.3 GB
One hour of SD video is 104.3 GB
(SD is RGB 720x576 @ 25fps or 720x480 @30fps, makes no difference to bitrate)
Gorf
Advisor

Postby skier-hughes on Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:14 pm

Gorf wrote:
skier-hughes wrote:...An uncompressed avi file will take up approx 60gb of hdd space for each hour...

Where did that figure come from??? The file size depends on more than just duration - colour depth, framerate and resolution are all factors.
One hour of CIF resolution RGB at 15fps is 15.3 GB
One hour of SD video is 104.3 GB
(SD is RGB 720x576 @ 25fps or 720x480 @30fps, makes no difference to bitrate)

Basically without going into too much detail I was trying to let the OP understand an uncompressed video would generally be a huge file size, which from my memory of working with adobe premiere back in v6.5 was a round the 60gb per hour size. I don't think they'd understand the ins and outs of the various varieties that were available.
skier-hughes
Microsoft MVP

operating_system: Windows 8
32bit or 64bit: 64 Bit
motherboard: gigabyte
processor: Intel core 2 6420 2.13GHz
ram: 4GB
Video Card: NVidia GForce 8500GT
sound_card: onboard
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 36GB 2TB

Return to MediaStudio Pro