MSP8 Captured file is invalid, deleted automatically

Postby Jan Smit on Sun Aug 01, 2010 12:41 am

I downloaded the TRIAL version for MSP8 (my P4, 2.8GHz can not handle havy programs), installed it successfully and
was granted for 30 days to try. This should be enough to get feeling for the program and perhaps do my editing work.
After conncting a Sony camera and running capture (after setting various items) is captured video from that camera.
Picture and audio is presented and a number of 3.95GB files are created named capt0001.avi and up with automatic filenaming.
So far so good, no frame drops, good picture and good audio. :D

Each time a complete 60 minutes tape is finished, or when I stop capturing, the programm comes with a pop_up telling
me: "Captured file is invalid" "File was deleted automatically". And indeed the stored files disapear. :(
An attempt to save them while the programm is creating the next in line, does not work because the capture tool still has
control over it.

Is this something that sounds familiar? Could not find a topic on this message.
What can I do to solve this error.
I have the program installed on the C: disk and 60GB defragmented space on the other drive in my PC (P4B533-E) and 640MB memory.

Any help would be appreciated as the 30 day clock is tikking.

Greetings,
Jan
Jan Smit

operating_system: Windows XP Pro
System_Drive: C
32bit or 64bit: 32 Bit
motherboard: ASUS P4B533-E
processor: P4 2.8GHz
ram: 640MB
Video Card: Radeon 9600
sound_card: Onboard
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 160GB

Re: MSP8 Captured file is invalid, deleted automatically

Postby Black Lab on Sun Aug 01, 2010 1:47 am

Not that this helps your problem, but MSP is a dead product. It is not sold, nor supported, by Corel. So after your "trial", then what?
Black Lab

operating_system: Windows 8
32bit or 64bit: 64 Bit

Postby Ron P. on Sun Aug 01, 2010 2:31 am

I thought It still could be purchased through the Ulead on-line store.. http://www.ulead.com/store/msp/runme.htm, however clicking on the Add to Cart button, takes you to a page that says you don't have anything in your cart. So Jeff is correct, you can no longer purchase it from Corel. You might be able to purchase it from another source. Amazon.com has 1 available.

Ok, after posting, I done a Google search for MSP8 and found another one of Corel's hidden web pages that will allow you to purchase it. So Jeff is not exactly correct...;) Sorry Jeff..;) http://store1.corel.com/corel/product/i ... rod3430211

If you'll notice on Ulead's web-page, if you want to edit MPEG-4 or 3GGP, it requires you purchase the plug-ins. Also there is an offer for Video Graphics Lab, disregard that program. I do have it, which is a combination of Video Paint and CG Infinity, both used to be included as part of earlier versions of MSP. I wasn't that impressed with them, and haven't used them in a long time.

I've never had that problem with MSP 8. I've used it to capture on a number of times. Are you using Firewire (Sony i-link) connected to your PC? Are you capturing DV or HDV? If you're transferring/capturing DV via Firewire, then try using the free program WinDV. It can be downloaded from this website..http://windv.mourek.cz/
I use WinDV a lot to get my video to my PC, including using my camcorder's pass-through analog-digital conversion to capture any old VCR tapes. Once you get the video on your PC, then you can edit them in MSP. At least that way you will get to see what MSP is capable of. While it is a discontinued product, as long as you only intend on using it to edit DV or HDV, then you should be alright.
Ron Petersen, Web Board Administrator
Ron P.
Site Admin

motherboard: Hewlett-Packard 2AF3 1.0
processor: 3.40 gigahertz Intel Core i7-4770
ram: 16GB
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 645
sound_card: NVIDIA High Definition Audio
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 4TB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: Dell SE198WFP-Desktop

Postby Jan Smit on Sun Aug 01, 2010 3:42 pm

Hello Ron,
Thanks for your fast response with suggestions.
Yes, my Sony camera is connected to the PC by firewire and it responds fine to the remote commands from MSP8, MSP7 and Win_DV.
I am capturing DV on 25 frames/second, no time limit, auto naming, type DV-2, play video after capturing, pre_allocate 3999MB, have seamless capture at 3990MB, store the files on my H: drive with 60GB free defragmented space and do not use the save to production Library option.
When I use these settings in MSP7, it results in "Catatrophic failure. The captured file may be corrupt, do you want to delete it?"
When I tell NO, the one or more created *.avi files can be played normally with good sound and picture on the Windows Media Player. So I would say, that they are not that corrupt, or maybe the WMP can handle a sertain flaw in it.
When doing the same in MSP8, I get the same "Catatrophic failure" and the files are deleted automatically. I can not save them.
When doing the same in Win_DV (thanks for the tip) various *.avi file are created.
But importing them in MSP7 gives an error, identical to an *.avi file created by MSP7_capture where I could save the created files.
With MSP8, I can import the by Win_DV created *.avi files, but when editing a little on it, MSP8 crashes. I think that the program needs to much resources (most of the time 100% CPU load and 580MB used of the available 640MB).
Maybe adding a 1GB would solve this.

When importing a random AVI movie fetched from the internet, things are fine.
The two programs (MSP7 and MSP8) start a preproces cycle with showing picture but no sound.
When finished the audio and video are presented fine.

So this leads me to the conclusion that the capture in MSP7 and MSP8 is not working on my PC.
WIN_DV works for MSP8, but not for MSP7, so there must be one or the other missing, needed for correct *.avi creation.
I reinstalled Windows Media Format and Encoder 9 files and also Real Player, Quicktime and a few more.
This was adviced in one of the installation steps during MSP8.

When I install MSP7, the Windows Media Format and Encoder 9 packages is deinstalled again, but with upgrading it with Service Pack 3, is should be capable of dealing / using this again, so I installed them again.
having them in or not does not influence the results with MSP7 capture.

I deinstalled MSP7 and MSP8 also the hardway by all manual deleted as described in a COREL guide on the internet.
No success, after reinstallation, the same "Catatrophic failure" returns.

I wonder why you hardly used MSP8_capture as it is part of a nice package with captuer/edit/create/burn.
Win_DV works faster for you?
Can you tell me which files are essential for capturing audio/video from a camera via firewire.
Camera control looks not to be the problem, I think there must be one or the other driver / dll / ???

It still puzzles me that a *.avi file (type_2) created by Win_DV is accepted im MSP8, but not in MSP7.
A *.avi file (type 1 or 2) created in MSP7 is not accepted by MSP7.
A random *.avi file from the internet is accepted, preprocessed and then ready for editing which works fine.

Greetings,
Jan
Jan Smit

operating_system: Windows XP Pro
32bit or 64bit: 32 Bit
motherboard: ASUS P4B533-E
processor: P4 2.8GHz
ram: 640MB
Video Card: Radeon 9600
sound_card: Onboard
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 160GB

Postby Ron P. on Sun Aug 01, 2010 5:20 pm

Well I migrated to MSP8 from VS. When Intervideo decided to change the capture plug-in to their own (IVI), and it does not allow capturing analog video, I tried WinDV. Really liked and, use it most of the time now. It's just a real light-weight program that is really reliable. I do small projects with VS, however the bigger ones I use MSP.

Now I've never transferred my video using Type-2, I always use Type-1. This is from using VS, which seems to handle Type-1 better. You might give that a try. Also there were a couple of patches/service-packs released, but they will not install to TBYB versions.

I do have an SE version of MSP7, which got me serious about upgrading to MSP8. I got lucky when I decided to upgrade, Ulead was running a special on the program, so I picked it up for less than $200.

I have my camcorder plugged into my desktop, so I'll put a tape in, and do a test capture with MSP8 to see if it is going to crash, which I doubt will happen. Lastly yes I would strongly recommend increasing your RAM to 2 gig. My desktop (which is what my system specs reflect) running XP Home, has 2 gig, and wish it could handle more. WinXP takes nearly 1-gig just to run it. I know before I bumped mine up, I was having a very hard time with it. If you're specs are accurate, less than 1-gig is not nearly enough..

Edit
I just ran a couple of test captures with MSP8, using DV Type-2, didn't have a problem. I think if you increase your RAM it may help solve your problem. Also make sure that you are not running any other unnecessary services, programs, applications. These may steal your PC resources, which editing needs desperately. I also have 2-internal HDDs, along with 2-external USB HDDs. I've found that if I capture to one of the internal HDDs, it helps improve performance, since the Reading and Writing is split between the 2 drives. A couple of weeks ago, I transferred several video tapes to my External 1-TB USB drive. At first I thought it would not work, but didn't have a problem.
Ron Petersen, Web Board Administrator
Ron P.
Site Admin

motherboard: Hewlett-Packard 2AF3 1.0
processor: 3.40 gigahertz Intel Core i7-4770
ram: 16GB
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 645
sound_card: NVIDIA High Definition Audio
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 4TB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: Dell SE198WFP-Desktop

Postby Gorf on Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:09 pm

640Mb isn't much...

Can you capture the file using Windows Movie Maker?
Gorf
Advisor

Return to MediaStudio Pro