No dual-view in Virtual XP on W7 Pro

Postby Wim Kok on Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:14 pm

Installation of MSP8 in the virtual machine of Windows 7 Pro is very simple and MSP runs fine, however........dual-view is impossible! But this is not the only disfunction that puzzles me, even the display resolution can not be changed.
The pc is a brand new Medion 8338 with a NVIDIA GeForce GT 330 graphics card. In the Windows 7 modus every thing is just normal and dual view is enabled as well as an adjustment of the display resolution. The graphics card can also be traced in the device manager of the control panel where NVIDIA Gt 330 is mentioned.
In the XP modus however I can not find the graphics card, in the device manager there is a description which gives me the feeling that even the hardware (this graphics card) is virtual in XPM !!
Does that mean that MSP8 will never work in XPM, when it comes to dual-view, as it works in the full XP version? Or has anyone found a smart solution perhaps? Any help will be highly appreciated. regards W.K.
Wim Kok

operating_system: Windows 7 Home Premium
System_Drive: C
32bit or 64bit: 64 Bit
processor: AMD FXtm-4100 Quad-Core
ram: 8 GB
Video Card: NVIDIA GT 520
sound_card: Realtek AC97
Hard_Drive_Capacity: C640 D500
Monitor/Display Make & Model: Acer AL1951 LCD

Re: No dual-view in Virtual XP on W7 Pro

Postby sjj1805 on Sat Mar 20, 2010 7:27 pm

Wim Kok wrote:....
In the XP modus however I can not find the graphics card, in the device manager there is a description which gives me the feeling that even the hardware (this graphics card) is virtual in XPM !!....

Probably - in fact very likely.
I don't have a computer that has hardware virtualization and so could not test out the new XP mode in Windows 7 (Using my soon to expire Beta Version). However I am quite experienced with Virtual Box and also Virtual PC. As you suspected these are (sort of) emulator programs that enable you to install and run many other operating systems on your computer, such as Windows 3.11, windows 95, Windows 98, XP, ME and lots of Unix Operating systems such as Suse, Ubuntu, Fedora etc.

Here the hardware IS emulated so that you have a graphics card, sound card etc that is compatible with the operating system you are working with.
I would strongly suspect that the new "Virtual PC" built into Windows 7 would be the same.
Regards, Steve Jones, Web Board Administrator
sjj1805

operating_system: Windows XP Pro
System_Drive: E
32bit or 64bit: 32 Bit
motherboard: Equium P200-178
processor: Intel Pentium Dual-Core Processor T2080
ram: 2 GB
Video Card: Intel 945 Express
sound_card: Intel GMA 950
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 1160 GB

Postby Wim Kok on Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:10 pm

As you suspected these are (sort of) emulator programs that enable you to install

Thanks Steve, for the confirmation that the graphics card in the configuration of the new machine for the ULEAD-club (Nederland) { http://ulead.come2me.nl/ } is a ¡§virtual piece of hardware¡¨. I found further information that there is a button ¡§Devices¡¨ in the W7 desktop which leads to ¡§Install guest additions¡¨. Do you know that button and the effects of it? I hope that, as you write, many other operating systems can be installed along that way.
Obviously forum members do not have much experience with MSP8 in W7/XP since the only response came from you. In case I¡¦m wrong....... I would like to read it. I¡¦ll keep you posted. regards W.K.
Wim Kok

Postby Wim Kok on Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:35 pm

MSP8 in Windows 7/virtual XPM¡K¡K¡K¡K forget it.
On a Microsoft site I read this description and that explains the troubles I experienced today with the graphics card (no dual-view, only 16 bit) and burning a DVD with DMF (impossible)
¡§Windows XP Mode is best suited for older business and productivity applications such as accounting, inventory and similair applications. Windows XP mode is not aimed at consumers because many consumer applications require extensive use of hardware interfaces, such as 3-D graphics, audio and TV tuners that do not work well under virtualization today¡¨
Dual-boot will be the only workable solution.
My hopes were raised when I found information about an adjustment through Devices>>>Install guest additions, assuming that this button would ¡§bring me in heaven¡¨.
I believe this solution is for W 7 in XP and not the other way around. Regards W.K.
Wim Kok

Postby sjj1805 on Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:13 am

Ah well dual boot it is then if I ever have to install Windows 7.
Thank you for the info.
Regards, Steve Jones, Web Board Administrator
sjj1805

operating_system: Windows XP Pro
System_Drive: E
32bit or 64bit: 32 Bit
motherboard: Equium P200-178
processor: Intel Pentium Dual-Core Processor T2080
ram: 2 GB
Video Card: Intel 945 Express
sound_card: Intel GMA 950
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 1160 GB