Software upgrade for Chinese subtitles

Postby sjj1805 on Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:46 pm

Received Via Email wrote:Dear SJ 1805: I would like to ask for your recommendation. I saw your posts on adding subtitles but my question is a little more specific.

I am currently using Ulead Media Studio Pro 6.5. It is not capable of handling Chinese subtitles within the program (I am using the English language version). From my previous research, I discovered that I would need the Chinese version of the program to do subtitles in Chinese. This may not longer be true, please advise if you know.

I would like to upgrade my software but will only purchase a program that CAN handle Chinese and English subtitles. I see that Ulead is now under Corel. My question is whether any of the newer Corel products can handle this requirement and also offer the complexity of features that were offered in 6.5. I see that the newer products VS 11, VS Pro X2, VS Express 2010, Digital Sudio 2010 all seem to be geared to popular rather than professional audiences. I'm not a Pro per se, but I do produce videos for my school that are sold. I want them to be as professional as possible.

I need software that will handle capture, editing and authoring of DVDs. I currently use MSPro 6.6 and Nero for my DVD authoring (I do need to produce both NTSC and PAL).

Any suggestions are welcome. I can purchase a Chinese version of software if that is necessary through a buyer in China.

Sincerely,

Anne Montgomery
Chinese For Families

Unfortunately no one hear works for Corel and so we can only comment about our experiences of using the software we (as fellow users) own. My own knowledge of subtitles is restricted to a mere couple of videos I produced in relation to a charity fund raising event a couple of years ago.
I also experimented with using the "Subtitles" options of MovieFactory and VideoStudio out of pure curiosity.

Once again I must advise of the need to post enquiries in these forums
Private Messages and Emails to Forum Staff

Regards,
Steve Jones - Web Board Administrator
Regards, Steve Jones, Web Board Administrator
sjj1805

operating_system: Windows XP Pro
System_Drive: E
32bit or 64bit: 32 Bit
motherboard: Equium P200-178
processor: Intel Pentium Dual-Core Processor T2080
ram: 2 GB
Video Card: Intel 945 Express
sound_card: Intel GMA 950
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 1160 GB

Postby Gorf on Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:34 am

MSP is not capable of doing subtitles at all, in any language. It's being pedantic, I know, but the titles that MSP can do are simply graphics overlaying the video, burnt onto the frames whenever the finished render is created.

If there is a need to be able to switch the subtitles on/off on the DVD - i.e. true subtitles - that function must be done in the DVD authoring software. Unfortunately, she'll need a better-than consumer level DVD authoring software.

I use subtitle workshop to edit the text and start/end times, and create the still images which are then collated in DVD Lab
Gorf
Advisor

Postby sjj1805 on Sat Nov 07, 2009 12:20 pm

Now you come to mention it, I remember now that I did my subtitles in DVD workshop 2.
Regards, Steve Jones, Web Board Administrator
sjj1805

operating_system: Windows XP Pro
System_Drive: E
32bit or 64bit: 32 Bit
motherboard: Equium P200-178
processor: Intel Pentium Dual-Core Processor T2080
ram: 2 GB
Video Card: Intel 945 Express
sound_card: Intel GMA 950
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 1160 GB

Return to MediaStudio Pro