NEW! Corel PaintShop Pro 2018

Rediscovered MSP8

Rediscovered MSP8

Postby Owen » Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:42 am

About 18mths. two years ago I removed MSP8 from my computer as a result of thinking I should change and work with a product that was going to have on going developement and support.

I needed to make a whole pile of stings, intro and outro clips for a series
of videos in a hurry. I thought of Smart Compositor. So I reinstalled MSP8, downloaded all the patches and updates I could find on the web site as I'd dumped all my backups.

Amazing! MSP8 is rediscovered, and I have a great piece of software thats been lying idle in a box. I've been pushing it hard over the last three days. No problems.

The guys at Corel that dumped MSP need their heads read. All they need to do is bring the HD side up to speed, a few tweaks here and there, modernise its face, and relaunch the product. It all seems a a waste really.

I read some were having trouble with XP Service Pack 3. I have SP3 installed and found it all works OK.
Owen

operating_system: Windows XP Pro
System_Drive: C
Corel programs: MediaStudio Pro 8

Re: Rediscovered MSP8

Postby Coral » Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:28 am

Owen wrote:The guys at Corel that dumped MSP need their heads read.

That goes for DVD Workshop too.
Coral

32bit or 64bit: 32 Bit
motherboard: Asus P8P67 Pro Rev. 3
processor: Intel Core i5 2400 Quad Core 3.1GHz Socket 1155
ram: 8 GB
Video Card: Gainward GT 520 1024 MB RAM
sound_card: On Board
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 500 GB X2
Monitor/Display Make & Model: AOC 19 inch CRT tube

Postby asande » Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:25 pm

Owen wrote:Amazing! MSP8 is rediscovered, and I have a great piece of software thats been lying idle in a box. I've been pushing it hard over the last three days. No problems.

I agree totally - someone really missed the boat here with all of the takeovers/mergers/etc in the past few years. I've looked at a few different replacements and while I've found a few "flashy" programs that appear to do it all, when push comes to shove, MSP is what saves the day for me... Perhaps it's just my familiarity with the application, but I haven't found anything worthy of taking its place in my editing machine.

It'll be here and my main editing program for the foreseeable future...

You can find a sample of this summer's output here - http://www.hollowaybar.com/videos/hb14.html, No compositing in this one, but lots of edits, audio work, picture in picture, still photo pan and zoom, and time lapses incorporated into it. The ability to add the SmartSound Quicktracks music tracks is also a real bonus (and the addon disks work great in MSP!). I can't even imagine how I'd do this in the other editing programs I've looked at without a lot of compromises...

I have had a few minor stability problems occasionally, but saving frequently is always a good idea, and it hasn't been an issue.

Al
asande

Postby sjj1805 » Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:14 pm

The two items of software most extensively used for video editing by myself are:

1. MediaStudio Pro 8
2. DVD Workshop 2.

Perhaps there are better things out there now, I don't know - I haven't had the need to go looking, the above two programs do all I ask of them.
sjj1805

motherboard: Equium P200-178
processor: Intel Pentium Dual-Core Processor T2080
ram: 2 GB
Video Card: Intel 945 Express
sound_card: Intel GMA 950
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 1160 GB

Postby Coral » Sat Aug 15, 2009 11:05 am

sjj1805 wrote:The two items of software most extensively used for video editing by myself are:

1. MediaStudio Pro 8
2. DVD Workshop 2.

Perhaps there are better things out there now, I don't know - I haven't had the need to go looking, the above two programs do all I ask of them.

Sure there is ! but not so user friendly and/or with same options
Coral

motherboard: Asus P8P67 Pro Rev. 3
processor: Intel Core i5 2400 Quad Core 3.1GHz Socket 1155
ram: 8 GB
Video Card: Gainward GT 520 1024 MB RAM
sound_card: On Board
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 500 GB X2
Monitor/Display Make & Model: AOC 19 inch CRT tube

Postby neonbob » Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:58 am

asande wrote:
I agree totally - someone really missed the boat here with all of the takeovers/mergers/etc in the past few years. I've looked at a few different replacements and while I've found a few "flashy" programs that appear to do it all, when push comes to shove, MSP is what saves the day for me...

Well there are better programs out there... for what MSP8 does though, the price is hard to beat. But at the end of the day it doesn't really matter how good the product is. If it isn't making money (for what ever reason), it then becomes a whole in the pocket to its owners. MSP8 was just simply not making money.
neonbob

Postby sjj1805 » Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:53 am

neonbob wrote:..........
Well there are better programs out there... for what MSP8 does though, the price is hard to beat. But at the end of the day it doesn't really matter how good the product is. If it isn't making money (for what ever reason), it then becomes a whole in the pocket to its owners. MSP8 was just simply not making money.

And the reason for that....... poor marketing.
sjj1805

motherboard: Equium P200-178
processor: Intel Pentium Dual-Core Processor T2080
ram: 2 GB
Video Card: Intel 945 Express
sound_card: Intel GMA 950
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 1160 GB

Postby neonbob » Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:45 pm

sjj1805 wrote:
And the reason for that....... poor marketing.

Well that's an opinion of which of course you're allowed to have, but overall Ulead have never really been looked at too seriously by the "pros" and are considered for the most part to be consumer/hobbyist programs. As a result you have a program out in "left field" that's too expensive (and too much) for the average consumer and not good enough for the "pros". It kind of falls into that black hole.

I don't think better marketing would have improved things that much.
neonbob

Postby rwernyei » Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:48 pm

Neonbob,

We're in a forum and everyone has his/her own opinion. My opinion is that Ulead failed miserably at marketing as well. The company had everything going for it with Media Studio Pro. They were the innovators of smart-rendering technology and the only NLE that incorporated modules Video Paint and CG Infinity. These modules alone earned my business as a Ulead user. And in its time, Ulead had very good third-party support that would suggest its consideration as a high-end professional NLE.

Remember these plugins:
BorisFX, Boris RED, Boris Factory, Boris Graffiti, Canopus VideoFX transitions, StageTools Moving Picture and Moving Chart, Profound Effects UseFul Things LE Starter Pak, Profound Effects Useful Things LE Expansion Pak, SpiceMaster 2, Vixen Video Enhancer, VideoTools Server, VFXFlash-Factory, VFXMask, Pinnacle HollywoodFX, etc...

All of these companies were taking them seriously.
rwernyei

Postby neonbob » Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:46 pm

Well the third party plugins don't mean much of anything. Most of those plugins also support programs like Pinnacle studio, Sony Platinum.... and other consumer level programs. Third party developers tend to spread themselves out as far as they can for maximum profit.

Although Ulead did invent the name "smart render" they did not invent the initial technology. That was Avid Liquid (back then it was Pinnacle Liquid Edition which was in turn bought by Avid) and they were also the first ones to be able to natively edit HD long gop in an elementary format.

And in its time, Ulead had very good third-party support that would suggest its consideration as a high-end professional NLE.

Avid Liquid Pro about $900
Sony Vegas pro about $600
FCP roughly $1200
Adobe CS4 Master collection roughly $2800
Avid MC $2000 - $3000 (depending on where you get it)

Ulead Media Studio Pro roughly $350
Point being.... it wasn't exactly "high end". Now that's not to say that it was a bad program, but it just couldn't compete with the others in the pro arena. I've used all of the above programs (with exception to fcp) and they can pretty much run circles around MSP.... (and I AM taking into account the fact that msp is now quite outdated) Now Ulead does have the technology, the engineering abilities, and the intelligence to create a SERIOUS contender.... but I think they've pretty much made up their mind that it's not what Ulead is all about. Ulead is geared toward the consumer now more than ever before. That's the way they want it I guess.
neonbob

Postby rwernyei » Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:27 pm

I'm going to disagree. Ulead had smart rendering before Pinnacle bought Fast Multimedia which helped create their Liquid and DVEdition software.
rwernyei

Postby Gorf » Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:12 am

Aren't "poor marketing" and "not being taken seriously" exactly the same thing? :)
Gorf
Advisor

Postby neonbob » Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:16 am

actually, no.

Poor marketing suggests that msp has not been purchased by the masses because they're UNAWARE of the product or its possible potentials.

Not taking the program seriously doesn't necessarily mean that people aren't aware of it.
neonbob

Postby Gallienus » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:03 pm

I'll definitely agree. :P I bought MSP8 from Corel at half price, knowing that it had been discontinued. It was needed to animate series of screenshots from complex engineering programs. Nothing else I could find would do the trick. However it is really a wonderful program & I intend to keep an XP boot partition at all times so I can run it.
Gallienus

ram: 16Gb
Video Card: Nvida
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 2 TB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: Hp

Return to MediaStudio Pro