MP4 format question

Postby mathis on Fri Jul 24, 2009 2:41 am

Hello,
I just purchased a Flip Ultra U1120B camera. All of the files are in mp4 format and the picture is great. I have MSP 8.0, so, naturally, it won't read the files. I have located the link to the mp4 plug-in, but before I dish out any more money for MSP 8.0, I couldn't locate any information about whether or not this plug-in will allow me to put my mp4 files into MSP 8.0. All I could find states that you can create mp4 videos with the plug-in. Does anyone know the answer to this? I'd hate to shell out anything else for MSP 8.0 and it not do what I need it to. I am able to convert the files from mp4 to mp1 or 2, but it loses a lot of quality to do that.

Thanks,
Mathis...
Plainview, TX
mathis

Postby RickinSav'h on Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:12 am

Hey Mathis,
I got the MP4 & 3GP plug ins for my MSP8. It opens MP4 files created by other programs just fine. Just dragged one onto the time line and it displayed fine.

I would get anything you think you might want for MSP 8 while you can. I recently completed my purchase of all of the plug-ins, MP4, 3GP, Compositor Template pack, & Video Graphics Lab.
I know the software is finished as far as Corel is concerned but I sure do like working with it & I figure the more options / plug-ins I have the longer it will be useful for me.

Rick in Savannah
MSP 7/8 | VS 8/11.5 | DVD MF 2/3.5/4/7 Pro | VGL 1 | PI-X3 | Painter Essentials 3 | Audacity | Bluff Titler Pro 10 | Pinnacle Studio DV/7/8/10 | Adobe CS2, PS, PE, AE | PhotoDex Producer 5.0 | ACDSee 9 | Nikon S8100 | Sony DCR-TRV330
RickinSav'h

operating_system: Windows XP Pro
System_Drive: C
32bit or 64bit: 32 Bit
motherboard: Clevo D900K
processor: AMD Anthon 64 FX 60 [2.6 dual core]
ram: 2 GB
Video Card: NVIDIA Quadro FX Go1400 256MB
sound_card: On Board
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 200 GB

Postby mathis on Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:53 am

Thanks, Rick. That's a good idea.

Mathis...
mathis

Postby mathis on Sat Jul 25, 2009 4:15 am

So much for that idea, Rick. I got the MP4 plug-in, and it will let me save a video in MP4 format, but it won't load the videos from the Flip Ultra. It says there is no video in the files. I guess the only option is to convert them to either mpeg-1 or mpeg-2 format before using them then save them as mp4. Oh, well. I'll see how the video comes out that way.

Thanks anyway,
Mathis...
mathis

mp4 plug-in update...Ugh!

Postby mathis on Sun Jul 26, 2009 10:40 pm

Well, I created my first video with the mp4 plug in installed and it worked great to render it out to mp4 format. However, the video file it created isn't complatable with DVD Moviefactory 4.2, which comes stock with MediaStudio 8.0, so I wasn't able to burn it to DVD.

Okay, no problem, I went back and chose the mpg format, which is what I always use, and it rendered the project to the end, but then MSP 8.0 froze and crashed. When I restarted the program, I said "No" to recover the file, then I looked in the directory and there was an mpa and an mpv file that hadn't been merged together yet. Now, everytime I try to create anything other than an mp4 format file, it renders to the end, then crashes right before it merges the .mpa and .mpv files together.

So, since the plug-in isn't letting me use the files from the Flip Ultra anyway, I really don't need it, so I thought I would remove it. I went to Control Panel, but there's not anything that it installed in there. Any ideas on how to get rid of it? I looked through the msp directory and found a few files, but I don't know exactly what to get rid of and don't want to take any chances.

Thanks,
Mathis...
Plainview, TX
mathis

Postby Ron P. on Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:30 pm

If you're wanting to create DVDs, you must render to MPEG-2, not MP4, DVD standards do not allow anything but DVD Compliant MPEG-2. I'm not surprised that the generic version of DVDMF 4 refused the MP4 file. I had the upscale version DVDMF 4 Disc Creator it would have issues with MP4. With DVD authoring applications it is best to use MPEG-2, since any clips will have to be recoded to MPEG-2 prior to the DVD being burned.

Generally MSP opens to the last used Project Settings, which in your case would be using the MP4. Try changing your Project Settings and see if you have better luck. MP4 video files are best suited for PC, internet, and mobile applications, not DVD. So you can still use your MP4 plug-in, just not how you were trying.

Look in your Plug-Ins folder to see if it is there. If so you could try deleting it, however I'm not sure of all locations the plug-in is installed. I've never purchased the MP4 plug-in for MSP8. You may need to do a repair or reinstall MSP8...:(
Ron Petersen, Web Board Administrator
Ron P.
Site Admin

operating_system: Windows 8
32bit or 64bit: 64 Bit
motherboard: Hewlett-Packard 2AF3 1.0
processor: 3.40 gigahertz Intel Core i7-4770
ram: 16GB
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 645
sound_card: NVIDIA High Definition Audio
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 4TB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: Dell SE198WFP-Desktop

Postby RickinSav'h on Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:11 pm

Mathis,
Sure didn't mean to mislead you... Sorry about that.
In thinking about the fact that you can not load mp4's that your camera creates, I suspect that your camera uses H264 as the codec. I think mp4 is like many file extensions in that it is a container that can "hold" several different video file codecs. (MPEG 4, H263, H264, etc.)

You can check the codec of your original files using Quicktime to play one & selecting "window", & then "show movie inspector"

I have used the free version of VS 11.5 that Corel gave me as a MSP 8 owner (July, 2008) to open & convert or do light modifying of videos with H264 codec.

MSP 8 will open mp4 files with MPEG 4 or H263 codec used but not H264. Wish I had thought about all this before I suggested you purchase.

For what it's worth I haven't had any unusual problems rendering out as MPEG 1 or 2 since installing the mp4 plug in. I think there is an update to the plug-in available on the old ULead page. Check here, "http://www.ulead.com/tech/msp/msp_ftp.htm"
You would think that a purchase made "today" would include an update pack from Dec. 2005, whatever...
MSP 7/8 | VS 8/11.5 | DVD MF 2/3.5/4/7 Pro | VGL 1 | PI-X3 | Painter Essentials 3 | Audacity | Bluff Titler Pro 10 | Pinnacle Studio DV/7/8/10 | Adobe CS2, PS, PE, AE | PhotoDex Producer 5.0 | ACDSee 9 | Nikon S8100 | Sony DCR-TRV330
RickinSav'h

Postby mathis on Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:35 pm

Thanks, Ron. There's no real "Plug-In" folder, per se, so it looks like the only way out is going to be complete remove and re-install.

vidoman wrote:Look in your Plug-Ins folder to see if it is there. If so you could try deleting it, however I'm not sure of all locations the plug-in is installed. I've never purchased the MP4 plug-in for MSP8. You may need to do a repair or reinstall MSP8...:(
mathis

Postby mathis on Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:46 am

It's okay, Rick. I've been dealing with computers since 1983, so I know that they have a mind of their own. The good news is, I can render to AVI format or MP4 without it crashing and I had another program that will let me convert to MP1 or MP2 so I can still create a DVD.

Thanks for the info on Quicktime. I checked and this camera does create H264 files.

I got the update and it didn't help any.

I did get the VS 11.5 in June of 2008, but I've upgraded my harddrive and done some re-arranging in my apartment and cannot locate that disk. I know I put it on CD. I know where my VS9.0 CD is, but don't know where my MS8.0 CD is, either. I thought they were all together, but they're not. Maybe I can get some time off next month and start digging through these boxes. I know I had them right after I moved in here in 2006, so it's got to be around here somewhere. :oops: Great, I just realized I'm missing my printer CD, too. Yes, must get a few days off to start searching for these things.
mathis

Postby RickinSav'h on Wed Jul 29, 2009 5:09 pm

Mathis,
I highly suspect that someone (Steve Jones aka sjj1805) may be able to load the installation files for MSP8, VS 11 & let you know where they are. In so far as your serial numbers, if you registered your software then your serial numbers should be on the ULead web site (maybe Corel as well?)
I just checked & found that all of my serial numbers are recorded on the ULead web site, under "support" & then "Member sign-in". Your user name is your e-mail address & your password is, well you're on your own there! Maybe you're like me & don't have too many e-mail accounts or likely passwords to try before you find the right combination.
Don't forget to ask Steve to load the bonus software & content files if he has them.
Good luck!

Rick in Savannah
RickinSav'h

Postby mathis on Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:33 am

Thanks for the suggestion, Rick.
I do have access to the Ulead (now Corel) website and see that all my serial numbers are there, too. I'm sure that I have the CD here somewhere, so I'll try to find it before I ask Steve to post them.
I'll let you know what happens.

Thanks again.

Mathis...
mathis

FYI, update

Postby mathis on Tue Sep 22, 2009 2:46 am

Okay, I got moved. Haven't gotten unpacked yet, but I'm moved and I did find my install CD and am able to save my Flip Videos as WMV format and they'll load into MSP 8.0

Take care,
Mathis...

mathis wrote:Thanks for the suggestion, Rick.
I do have access to the Ulead (now Corel) website and see that all my serial numbers are there, too. I'm sure that I have the CD here somewhere, so I'll try to find it before I ask Steve to post them.
I'll let you know what happens.

Thanks again.

Mathis...
mathis

Postby RickinSav'h on Tue Sep 22, 2009 2:47 pm

Glad things worked out with the move & finding your software disc. :)

Rick in Savannah
RickinSav'h

Postby mathis on Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:06 am

Thanks.
Take care.
RickinSav'h wrote:Glad things worked out with the move & finding your software disc. :)

Rick in Savannah
mathis

Postby cgould on Thu Sep 24, 2009 6:12 pm

RickinSav'h wrote:Mathis,
Sure didn't mean to mislead you... Sorry about that.
In thinking about the fact that you can not load mp4's that your camera creates, I suspect that your camera uses H264 as the codec. I think mp4 is like many file extensions in that it is a container that can "hold" several different video file codecs. (MPEG 4, H263, H264, etc.)

You can check the codec of your original files using Quicktime to play one & selecting "window", & then "show movie inspector"

I have used the free version of VS 11.5 that Corel gave me as a MSP 8 owner (July, 2008) to open & convert or do light modifying of videos with H264 codec.

MSP 8 will open mp4 files with MPEG 4 or H263 codec used but not H264. Wish I had thought about all this before I suggested you purchase.

For what it's worth I haven't had any unusual problems rendering out as MPEG 1 or 2 since installing the mp4 plug in. I think there is an update to the plug-in available on the old ULead page. Check here, "http://www.ulead.com/tech/msp/msp_ftp.htm"
You would think that a purchase made "today" would include an update pack from Dec. 2005, whatever...

There are different codec "levels" (profiles) for MPEG4. (They are still H.264)
MSPro plugin supports "low-res" profiles eg for iPod and phones, not the "hi-res" HD profiles eg AVCHD. So this can be misleading. MSPro8 only handles MPEG2 HD eg HDV (tape) format.
cgould

Return to MediaStudio Pro