Jerky crossfades.

Postby monkeytastic on Wed Nov 29, 2006 3:16 pm

Most of the basic crossfades I do come out fine on the TV, but on occasion, they appear jerky. What am I doing wrong to get these jerky clips please?
monkeytastic

Postby Devil on Wed Nov 29, 2006 3:38 pm

Are these being viewed via DVD? If so, you are possibly encoding the MPEG-2 at too high a variable bitrate. Try 6000 kbit/s constant bitrate and see whether it still does it.
Devil

P4 Core 2 Duo 2.6 GHz/Elite NVidia NF650iSLIT-A/2 Gb dual channel FSB 1333 MHz/Gainward NVidia 7300/2 x 80 Gb, 1 x 300 Gb, 1 x 200 Gb/DVCAM DRV-1000P drive/ Pan NV-DX1&-DX100/MSP8/WS2/PI11/C3D etc.
Devil
Advisor

Postby monkeytastic on Wed Nov 29, 2006 3:56 pm

Yes, viewed on DVD.

The thing is, most of the fades are fine - it's just a couple. There's no difference - they're all the same effect, just some work, some don't
monkeytastic

Postby Devil on Wed Nov 29, 2006 4:23 pm

With VBR, you can get differences and if the bitrate is too high because the particular transition has greater frame-to-frame changes than others, then the effect you mention can occur, depending also on the DVD player. Try as I mentioned above and report, please.
Devil

P4 Core 2 Duo 2.6 GHz/Elite NVidia NF650iSLIT-A/2 Gb dual channel FSB 1333 MHz/Gainward NVidia 7300/2 x 80 Gb, 1 x 300 Gb, 1 x 200 Gb/DVCAM DRV-1000P drive/ Pan NV-DX1&-DX100/MSP8/WS2/PI11/C3D etc.
Devil
Advisor

Postby monkeytastic on Wed Nov 29, 2006 8:07 pm

Where do I find to change the variable bitrate? I can't find it.
monkeytastic

Postby Gorf on Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:20 pm

Is all your footage from the same type of source, e.g. DV video, or are you mixing video sources?
Gorf
Advisor

Postby monkeytastic on Wed Nov 29, 2006 11:42 pm

Gorf wrote:Is all your footage from the same type of source, e.g. DV video, or are you mixing video sources?

It's all been vhs which has been played from a svhs player - through an analogue to digital convertor, then through firewire. Some of the footage was also transferred to digital 8, then through (as dropped frame were happening sometimes during direct capture). The jerky fades happen even when the 2 clips involved are captured the same way.
monkeytastic

Postby sjj1805 on Thu Nov 30, 2006 4:52 am

I see from your system specs that you appear to be using an external hard drive. I find these good for archiving but not much good for capturing due to the massive file sizes and the respective short time period involved.

Have you tried capturing to an internal hard drive?
Regards, Steve Jones, Web Board Administrator
sjj1805

operating_system: Windows XP Pro
System_Drive: E
32bit or 64bit: 32 Bit
motherboard: Equium P200-178
processor: Intel Pentium Dual-Core Processor T2080
ram: 2 GB
Video Card: Intel 945 Express
sound_card: Intel GMA 950
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 1160 GB

Postby monkeytastic on Thu Nov 30, 2006 1:44 pm

sjj1805 wrote:I see from your system specs that you appear to be using an external hard drive. I find these good for archiving but not much good for capturing due to the massive file sizes and the respective short time period involved.

Hi.

Due to problems with capturing directly to the external drive (kept disconnecting on large captures) I capture straight to the internal drive, then transfer via usb (don't get the drive disconnecting using this for transferring) then use the firewire again for editing.

The clips in question are only around 3 seconds each in length.
monkeytastic

Postby Gorf on Thu Nov 30, 2006 11:23 pm

sjj1805 wrote:I see from your system specs that you appear to be using an external hard drive. I find these good for archiving but not much good for capturing due to the massive file sizes and the respective short time period involved.

That won't affect crossfades.

monkeytastic wrote:
Gorf wrote:Is all your footage from the same type of source, e.g. DV video, or are you mixing video sources?

It's all been vhs which has been played from a svhs player - through an analogue to digital convertor, then through firewire. Some of the footage was also transferred to digital 8, then through (as dropped frame were happening sometimes during direct capture). The jerky fades happen even when the 2 clips involved are captured the same way.

Try changing the project's field order. If that's the problem, I don't think simply changing it will solve all your problems, in fact I think they'll just move, but let us know if it affects the jerky crossfades and we'll take it from there...
Gorf
Advisor

Postby monkeytastic on Sat Dec 02, 2006 4:54 pm

I saved the project to ***temp, deleted all non-irrelevant clips and duplicated one of the jerky fades onto the time line. I've tried changing to frame based/antiflicker/field a/field b etc. and still no joy.

To be honest, it's no real big deal, but would have been nice to get rid of these glitches.
monkeytastic

Ive got around this jerky problem on effects

Postby andymchere on Sat Nov 03, 2007 9:00 pm

Do all your editing as usual then save it.

Then reopen it as a dvp file.

Now render the project.
It will take longer to render this way but all the dissolves etc will be smooth and not jerky.

You may need to render the audio as a sepertate file if you have alot of audio crossfades so the audio works correctly.

When you have rendered the video and audio, bring these together as a new video project on the timeline then render.

A bit of a pain but it works

Andy
andymchere

Postby Gorf on Sun Nov 04, 2007 2:05 pm

monkeytastic wrote:I've tried changing to frame based/antiflicker/field a/field b etc. and still no joy.

Changing the field order on the time line won't make any difference. If the problem is what I think it is, you need to do it at project level.

{Alt-Enter}
Edit...
"General" tab

For your existing projects, you'll also need to go through the clips and change the field order to match. New projects will be OK when you add clips if you set the project field order correctly.
Gorf
Advisor

Postby andymchere on Thu Sep 18, 2008 7:55 pm

Hi Everyone.

Even though my last post above will work, I can now do it a different way and all it takes is one click of the mouse to rectify the problem instantly.

Takes about 1 second .

All works a dream now

Maybe I should become a moderator?

Andy
andymchere

Postby Ron P. on Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:57 am

andymchere wrote:Hi Everyone.

Even though my last post above will work, I can now do it a different way and all it takes is one click of the mouse to rectify the problem instantly.

Takes about 1 second .

All works a dream now

Maybe I should become a moderator?

Andy

I'll ask again, would you like to share how and what steps you took to correct this? Others could benefit from this. I'll add at this time, a Moderator (of this board anyway) would not hesitate on providing fixes, workarounds, and solutions to others on the forums...;)
Ron Petersen, Web Board Administrator
Ron P.
Site Admin

operating_system: Windows 8
System_Drive: C
32bit or 64bit: 64 Bit
motherboard: Hewlett-Packard 2AF3 1.0
processor: 3.40 gigahertz Intel Core i7-4770
ram: 16GB
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 645
sound_card: NVIDIA High Definition Audio
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 4TB