File reading error

Postby zebra1057 on Thu Mar 16, 2006 9:15 pm

Hello.

I hope anybody can help.

I have done some editing and saved my work. It is a .dvp file. Afterwards I opened Media Strudio to re-open the dvp file and it says File Reading Error-Video Editor 20379:1:121.

I've tried saving the file in other drives. So far I am out of options. I ended up doing the work 4 times.

thank you for any clues.

zebra1057 :cry:
zebra1057

Postby heinz-oz on Thu Mar 16, 2006 9:56 pm

I'm not sure if I read you right. Did you do the work 4 times and each time you ended up with a corrupted dvp?

How exactly do you go about opening the dvp file? Do you open MSP and point it to the dvp file to open or do you double click the dvp file in WinExplorer?

I can open my files either way and have no problem. There must be something amiss with your system, your installation or the way you are doing things.

Please ive us more details.
heinz-oz

Postby zebra1057 on Fri Mar 17, 2006 12:27 am

Hello Heinz-oz,

Thank you for your reply. Yes, I ended up doing the work four times. One time, I was 50% done and another other 97% done. I just repeated almost the whole project. the project was for 2 minute clip(that's the good news.)

AS to opening a .dvp project, I open it from MSP8.

I'm thinking of reinstalling MSP8. I also uninstalled my anti-virus software. But I got the same results.

thanks,

roland
zebra1057

Postby heinz-oz on Fri Mar 17, 2006 2:10 am

Thanks for that. I'm still not quite with you :? are you trying to create a new video file when you say "it was done 50% and the other time 97%"?

The dvp file only contains references to the clips used, their respective in/out points, the project template etc. There is nothing the system has to "DO" to make a dvp file, it is created on the fly while you are putting things on the time line. It is also very small because it does not hold any of your video clips, sound files etc.

Did your system ever work before?

Please give me a step by step description of your process.
heinz-oz

File Reading Error

Postby Primekid on Fri Mar 17, 2006 2:50 am

This is a behavior that quite a few of us, including myself, have experienced with MSP8.

Support has received notice of this problem and is aware of it. Those that have already requested support recently received the following message from Ulead support:

We have some reports from some users that they are having problems in saving the project file in MSP 8. Some have said that their projects become corrupted after editing it and some said that their project file can't be used again after encountering a system hang while editing or encoding it.

Currently, the problem is not yet encountered in our systems after a series of simulations in our office computers. However, we are still gathering some information to find a fix for this problem that we could possibly add in the upcoming patch for MediaStudio Pro 8.

Temporarily, we suggest disabling the auto-save feature in the program's Preferences (press F6) and creating a backup file whenever you save your project as a countermeasure for this problem.

Please visit our website regularly for any updates.

Thank you.

Best Regards,

Nelson Duay

Go ahead and make a support request if you haven't already. That way they will get a better idea of the scope of this problem with the more people that file a complaint and hopefully they will be more inclined to address the issue.
Tippy Toe! Tippy Toe! Lemon Tree!
Primekid

50% and 97%

Postby zebra1057 on Fri Mar 17, 2006 1:58 pm

Hello Heinz-oz,

I'm doing the project and I'm 97% done and MSP8 crashes. So I try to open the .dvp file and that's when it says "File reading error".

I open the dvp folder holding different dvp files (I think they're the backups) and the "file read error" pops up.

Sometimes, I save the project to take a coffee break. Then I go back to open the dvp file and it would say "File read error".

As to how I finished the project: I didn't save the project, continue working and prayed that it didn't crash and immediately converted the project to an avi file(now MSP8 can crash whenever he wants.)

This is the first time I used MSP8. I used VS9 before and I was so happy with it. That's the reason why I moved to MSP8.

Thanks for the reply.

zebra1057
zebra1057

Postby marysia on Thu Sep 07, 2006 6:19 pm

So nobody has discovered any way to ressurect these damaged dvp files? You just have to start all over again?

I won't be starting again in ulead if that's the case, I'll trial something else. I was about 80% of the way through my edit and it is going to be a complete nightmare to have to start over.

I'd open a support ticket but I don't think you can until after you've bought the software and I'm not going to buy something that doesn't work.
marysia

Re: File reading error

Postby cvp on Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:34 pm

Hello, i ahve same problum in media studio 8.0 any body have solution .
when i open a big project video editor gives error(file redaing error)(error code is(20379:1:121)
cvp

operating_system: Windows XP Pro
System_Drive: C
32bit or 64bit: 32 Bit
motherboard: intel
processor: Pentium d 2.80
ram: 2 Gb
Video Card: Nvidia
sound_card: Realtek
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 320 Gb

Postby Primekid on Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:58 am

Well I can't say that I have experienced this particular problem myself. At least for quiet a number of years and certainly not since installing the final service pack for media studio 8.0. So the only thing I would be able to add would be to inquire as to whether or not you have installed the last service pack update for that program which would be Service Pack 1 from 6/2/2006. Which can be found here --> http://www.ulead.com/tech/msp/msp_ftp.htm

Most likely, to state the obvious, the file has probably become corrupt. I believe the update should prevent future corruptions but would not allow you to reacquire an already corrupt file. However, you could try loading one of the .DVP files that Media Studio 8.0 creates when it makes an auto-backup of a project in progress from time to time.

When you create a project and save it, it will save your saved project as a .DVP file in the folder you selected and by under the name that you chose to save it. It also creates a 'folder' in that same location by the same name as the name under which you saved your project. If you look inside that folder there should be a number of other .DVP files that have the same name as your main .DVP file but with a three digit number added to the end of the file-name. These files and their file-names start as <your project filename>000.DVP and with each auto-save it just saves another copy in the same naming convention but the three digit number is incremented by one each time. You could try opening one of these auto saved files starting with the one with the highest three digit number and see if it opens. If it does not open, try another one with the next lower number. Work your way back to the next lower number until you find one that will open your auto-saved project. It may not have your most recent changes or edits but it would be better than losing the entire project.

I hope this suggestion might help you to recover your project. I understand the frustration completely.
Tippy Toe! Tippy Toe! Lemon Tree!
Primekid

Postby Gorf on Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:05 am

Move all your source files to a new directory (but not the DVP). Usually, it's easier to just rename the directory.

Load the DVP and hit "ignore all" when it starts complaining that it can't find the files. If the problem still shows, it's a corrupt DVP. If the DVP loads fine, but with no source material (obviously), then one of your source files is corrupt and you need to start selectively relinking them to find out which one.
Gorf
Advisor

Postby sjj1805 on Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:02 am

I learned quite some time ago that the DVP file of MediaStudio was unreliable.
You have to adopt an insurance policy to prevent yourself from losing hours of work.
Do not rely upon the auto save the project every "x" minutes because I have found that this can be unreliable.

What I do is tag a number onto the end of the file name I am using and at every important stage I save the project with an incremented number. for example:

ThisFantasticProject01
ThisFantasticProject02
ThisFantasticProject03
ThisFantasticProject09
etc.

The added advantage of this is that you also have an instant "Undo option" so that if you later change your mind about some recent editing you can always revert back to an earlier stage.
Regards, Steve Jones, Web Board Administrator
sjj1805

operating_system: Windows XP Pro
System_Drive: E
32bit or 64bit: 32 Bit
motherboard: Equium P200-178
processor: Intel Pentium Dual-Core Processor T2080
ram: 2 GB
Video Card: Intel 945 Express
sound_card: Intel GMA 950
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 1160 GB

Return to MediaStudio Pro