NEW! Corel PaintShop Pro 2018

Pan & Zoom with VideoStudio (also applies 2 MediaStudio)

For VideoStudio, MediaStudio Pro, VideoGraphics Lab, Cool3D

Moderators: lata, Ken Berry

Pan & Zoom with VideoStudio (also applies 2 MediaStudio)

Postby markpritch » Thu Jul 26, 2007 3:49 pm

I have been using VS 9 where, when panning and Zooming on a single still image it was possible (by use of a time bar) to delay the P&Z effect for an amount of time in order to view the whole picture. Then after P&Z has been completed it was again possible to pause on the final portion of the image for a specified time.
In VS10 this function seems to have disappeared although I am advised by the technicians at Ulead that it is possible to do this by adding an extra keyframe and placing it over the middle keyframe (which now also has to be added seperately). I have tried to do this but cannot get it to work. I do not have a still image for even a nano-second before the panning and zooming effects take place.
Has anybody a solution to this? Seems to be crazy to downgrade a part of the old programme, which worked perfectly well, in the name of progress.
Cheers, and thanks for any light you can throw on this problem.
markpritch

operating_system: Vista Home Premium
System_Drive: C
32bit or 64bit: 32 Bit
motherboard: MEDIONPC MS-7501 3.1
processor: 2.30 gigahertz AMD Phenom 9650 Quad-Core
ram: 4GB
Video Card: ATI Radeon HD 4550
sound_card: Realtek High Definition Audio
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 2.64TB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: Acer V203H s/n ETLF4080058480

Pan and zoom problems with vs10

Postby mike.petrie » Thu Jul 26, 2007 4:07 pm

Hope this helps! (My notes)

The use of Pan and Zoom uses Key Frames to set each ¡§stage¡¨ of the movement. When you enter (by clicking on Customise) you are at the first Key Frame. (The ¡§active¡¨ Key Frame is shown by the red coloured diamond shape on the slider). Set the size and position of your start point by using the handles (to Zoom) and the red crosshair (to position). Drag the jog shuttle to an intermediate position (say 1/3rd across). Click on the +arrow on the Key Frame slider and a red marker should appear at this position on the slider. Use the handles and drag the red crosshair to the position you want for the image (i.e. to centre the zoomed image). Drag the jog shuttle to a new position (e.g. 2/3rd across) and again click the +arrow on the Key Frame slider. If you want the position and/or zoom of the image to be different, use the handles and red crosshair to place it. Alternatively, if all you want is the image to stay still between the two Key Frames to give the effect of a pause go back to the previous red marker and right-click on it, click ¡§Copy¡¨. Then go forward to where you last placed a Key Frame, right-click and click ¡§Paste¡¨. The image will stay constant between the two frames. Then click on the last red marker and adjust your final Zoom and position using the handles. Press -> for a ¡§Preview¡¨ (before you press this you can reposition the whole window (dragging the blue top margin) so that you can see the large Preview Window as well (this is not really necessary, but it gives a larger screen size). Preview your finished Pan and Zoom and if you are satisfied click ¡§OK¡¨. The Customised overlay animation will be added. In the large Preview window you can now position the finished Overlay e.g. in the top left hand corner of the screen to give a reminder effect. A Border can be added if required. I often use thickness 1 or 2, with a white border.

Finally, if you want to you can add Fade In/Out effects, by clicking on the signs that look like volume controls.

With Still Images, the overlay shows up in the Preview window, centred in the window. Handles allow you to drag it to size and position (using the handles at the corners keeps the aspect ratio correct). Right clicking on the overlay in this window displays another menu allowing you to ¡§fit to screen¡¨ etc for use on the TimeLine. Using the Fade In/Out buttons (look like Volume fade buttons) controls the fade in/out effect for more professional effect.

The so-called ¡§Ken Burns¡¨ effect is merely a use of the Pan and Zoom effect where Key Frames can be used on an Image to give the effect of starting on one spot in the Image and controlling the movement over the Image to finish in a different spot. This can be used, for example, with an image of a group photo, to start with one individual in the group and scan over others, using Key Frames to pause over intermediate individuals as required, and finishing up at the last individual. The Image clip can be stretched so that sufficient ¡§pauses¡¨ can be accommodated, but this might add to the complexity of Key Frame markers on the slider bar. Alternatively, the Image clip can be duplicated as often as necessary, and successive (identical) clips used for small parts of scans to ease this complexity, and the successive clips can be butted up against one another. (This will only be necessary for large groups and shouldn¡¦t be needed often).

The ¡§Ken Burns¡¨ effect gives the impression of animation to a Still Image.
mike.petrie

Postby astrovideo » Thu Jul 26, 2007 4:46 pm

The key to keeping the image still for a while is having the first two keyframes identical, and then a third keyframe set differently:

1) Set the first keyframe to 100% zoom, and anchor using the center "anchor square" at the bottom left.

2) Add a second keyframe a second or two (or however long you want the image to remain still) later in the timeline by dragging the jog slider there, and then pressing the Plus (+) sign above the time line.

3) Set this keyframe to 100% zoom, and anchor using the center "anchor square" at the bottom left (same as you did for the first keyframe).

4) Drag the jog slider to the far-right keyframe and adjust the zoom to what you want, and the position by dragging the red cross.

Of course for more complex pan/zoom effects, jst add more keyframes and change their zoom and position. But the key to keeping the image still for a while is having the first two keyframes identical (100% zoom and centered in this example).
astrovideo

Postby sjj1805 » Thu Jul 26, 2007 11:36 pm

Taking the above a bit further. When I create a slide show I use a total of 4 key frames as follows:

Key frame 1 and 2 have identical settings.
Key frame 3 and 4 have identical settings.

This creates the effect that the picture appears on view with a slight pause before the "Ken Burns" motion effect takes place. There is another slight pause before the slide is replaced by the next item.

You can see this effect in this video
Dubrovnik
sjj1805

operating_system: Windows XP Pro
motherboard: Equium P200-178
processor: Intel Pentium Dual-Core Processor T2080
ram: 2 GB
Video Card: Intel 945 Express
sound_card: Intel GMA 950
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 1160 GB

Postby markpritch » Thu Jul 26, 2007 11:40 pm

My most grateful thanks to both you guys, Mike and Astro.
I've tried both methods and they each work.
I am a very happy bunny, just seems curious that VS don't put this info in their user manual.
I'm going to try the fade ins/outs next !!
Await my next posting, but seriously, your comments have been an enormous help.
Cheers !!
markpritch

Postby markpritch » Thu Jul 26, 2007 11:46 pm

Thanks also sjj, you snuck in there while I was testing those first two methods.
Looks like you had a great holiday, much appreciate your help.
Cheers.
markpritch

Postby Clevo » Fri Jul 27, 2007 2:21 am

sjj...out of curiosity...how come in your preview pane in that picture you are getting the letter box? Are your project properties set to 16:9? they seem a bit too narrow for 16:9 in a 4:3 screen
Clevo
Advisor

32bit or 64bit: 64 Bit
motherboard: Asus PK5
processor: Intel Quad CPU Q6600 2.40GHz
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GTS
sound_card: Auzentech X-Fi Forte
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 850GB

Postby sjj1805 » Fri Jul 27, 2007 2:24 am

Yes I am working in 16.9

I have moved this post over to the tutorials, lots of interesting tips in this post. I have also renamed the thread to reflect the current content.
Thanks guys.
:) :) :)
sjj1805

operating_system: Windows XP Pro
motherboard: Equium P200-178
processor: Intel Pentium Dual-Core Processor T2080
ram: 2 GB
Video Card: Intel 945 Express
sound_card: Intel GMA 950
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 1160 GB

Thanks, I think I was asking this question in the wrong

Postby tommytucker » Wed Sep 12, 2007 6:18 am

forum. I should have posted in Tutorials.
tommytucker

Pan and Zoom

Postby ChasBro » Sun Nov 22, 2009 8:17 pm

I've read the forum on how to pause at your points in Pan and Zoom with a work-around. In the VS9 dialog box you had the choice of a third middle point as well as being able to pause at each point. In some of my old VS9 slide shows I used three points for panning and they can be viewed in my present VS12, but not edited. My question is, can you add a third or maybe even more points in your panning in VS12? And, is there a reason they were left out in the VS12 version?
ChasBro

operating_system: Windows 10
processor: Intel[R] Core[TM] i7_2630QM CPU 2.00GHz
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 1TB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: HP Pavilion dv7 Notebook PC
Corel programs: VS Ultimate X9

Pan & Zoom

Postby ChasBro » Sun Nov 22, 2009 8:27 pm

I see in the work-around the cut and paste method would create the third or more points, so that would answer that question. Still, why were these options, available in VS9, left out of the VS12 dialog box? Probably a philosophical question?
ChasBro

processor: Intel[R] Core[TM] i7_2630QM CPU 2.00GHz
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 1TB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: HP Pavilion dv7 Notebook PC
Corel programs: VS Ultimate X9

Postby Black Lab » Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:08 pm

They were replaced by key-frames. Using the key-frames you can add as many pause points as you wish.
Black Lab

operating_system: Windows 8

Pan & Zoom

Postby ChasBro » Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:25 pm

Aha!, I see that now. thanks Jeff.

Chas
ChasBro