NEW! Corel PaintShop Pro 2018

Which software to use after PI (not Photoshop)

All about Image editing. Photography, Tips & Tricks, etc.....

Moderator: Ron P.

Which software to use after PI (not Photoshop)

Postby jolo » Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:00 am

As we are all aware of the situation that PI is considered to be "dead", as far as Corel is concerned, I think it is time for PI users (I am a long, long time user of PI and use X3 currently), to look for an alternative.

I think it would be great if we can help each other in this little PI community of ours by sharing our experiences.

I would like to mention one part of this. I think any comparisons to Adobe's Photoshop, which is a $600-700 software should be left out of this discussion. Perhaps Photioshop Elements can be included.

It appears that the price of Corel's PaintShop Pro X2 Ultimate has tumbled. However, Corel will not give any Corel PI users upgrade type pricing toward it or any other of their products, therefore, I don't think it is important to have any customer loyalty to Corel, however, I did to Ulead.

One of the items that has amazed me, is that it appears that Corel's newest version of Paintshop Ultimate, X2 Pro (we have to shorten that name), is that it is "media" and "paper" oriented. That there aren't any features to where so much of the photo albums/slide shows and photos and graphic images wind up, on the web, which truthfully shocks me.

PI is still way ahead in having some features that allow for the making of a photo album/slide show to port to an individuals web site. Like I do. I don't use the commercial, advertisement based services like Flicker, etc.

With the latest Version of Paintshop Pro being sold at $40, it certainly is inexpensive enough, but if it is relegated to "media" and "paper" bound photos, graphics, photo albums and sideshows it would be somewhat too archaic for me.

I would love to hear what you think.

Wouldn't 't it be great if Corel allowed the PI source to become open source and the community can take it and make it to a level that it deserves to be ? Just a "pipe dream".

Thanks,

Jon
"Major combat operations in Iraq have ended. In the battle of Iraq, the United States and our allies have prevailed." President Bush, standing under a "Mission Accomplished" banner on the USS Lincoln aircraft carrier, May 2, 2003.
jolo

Postby Ron P. » Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:55 pm

I think it would be great if we can help each other in this little PI community of ours by sharing our experiences.

How do you mean this? If to include discussions about other competitor's software, than no we can not allow that, since this web board is the property of Corel. It would be different if it was owned, maintained by a private person. We do have a section for General Discusssions, where there is no limitation to Corel only.

There are no plans to remove, or close the PI forum. So as long as there are members posting questions, this will be here to provide the help.
Ron Petersen, Web Board Administrator
Ron P.
Site Admin

operating_system: Windows 10
System_Drive: C
32bit or 64bit: 64 Bit
motherboard: Hewlett-Packard 2AF3 1.0
processor: 3.40 gigahertz Intel Core i7-4770
ram: 16GB
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 645
sound_card: NVIDIA High Definition Audio
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 4TB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: 1-HP 27" IPS, 1-Sanyo 21" TV/Monitor
Corel programs: VS5,8.9,10-X5,PSP9-X8,CDGS-9,X4,Painter

Who is afraid of Corel ??

Postby jolo » Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:25 am

I understand vidorman,

However, this is the only forum that I can think of, whether it is hosted by the vendor or not, that disallows discussions and comparisons of third part products
If that is not allowed, then this is not about the Corel community, but a advertisement.

However, this is a unique situation. PI is dead, so what do we use ? This was Corel's decision. I mean how can it be to not allow comparison's with other products, pros and cons. Corel hasn't offered an alternative to PI users ? It can't be used as an upgrade to any of the other Corel line ?

Corel wins, as all the other vendors do. They find out about what their customers think, where they need to improve, what are their perceived strengths and weaknesses and base their upgrades directly from customer feedback.

Look at all of the surveys that might come popping up on a web site, with companies hiring third party companies to find out what is on the customer's mind ? It is of enormous help to get this information.

They also find the perceived strengths and weaknesses of their competitors.

It build's loyalty.

For the heck of it, I went to Adobe's forums, one's that are on their web site. I did a search, just on their Elements form and did a search on Corel.
Over 14 pages were found !! .

I am active on the Divx forum and we are always discussing alternatives and have discussions with the developers about features in others that might be incorporated and comparisons.

I use a wonderful product from J River's called Media Center. There are always discussions regarding other products, as they relate to features and comparisons to Media Center.

Where better to get information is there, than to get it from the user's itself.

Therefore that "ban", on anything other than Corel, is something unique to Corel's forums and I wonder if it came from something that has become a "culture", a administrators decision from years ago or from Corel itself ??

Personally, I don't think they care.

However, to have an independent forum could be easily arranged.

This is NOT about criticizing Corel and their products, but to have the community search for alternatives to a product that Corel doesn't care about any more. They have the right to stop support and enhancement's to their software.
I mean, maybe it turns out that Paint Shop Pro Ultimate Pro is hands down, the best replacement for PI, I don't know. ??

I can tell you what I would remove. If someone puts in something stujpid like "Corel sucks", or anything else "sucks". As a comment.

vidoman wrote:

How do you mean this? If to include discussions about other competitor's software, than no we can not allow that, since this web board is the property of Corel. It would be different if it was owned, maintained by a private person. We do have a section for General Discusssions, where there is no limitation to Corel only.

There are no plans to remove, or close the PI forum. So as long as there are members posting questions, this will be here to provide the help.
"Major combat operations in Iraq have ended. In the battle of Iraq, the United States and our allies have prevailed." President Bush, standing under a "Mission Accomplished" banner on the USS Lincoln aircraft carrier, May 2, 2003.
jolo

Postby Ron P. » Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:31 am

When Ulead established this web board, those rules were put into place, and since then Corel has affirmed them. That rule applies to this specific forum. It is meant for help with PI. As I stated above the General Discussions section where you could post such discussions.

Start a thread in the Imaging Editing forum, about PI. Those interested could contribute in that forum.

I guess think of it as you're needing to use a telephone for help. However someone else is using it to just gossip. With the forum, those needing help need to wait and scroll through the general conversations to find the help. So we reserve these program specific forums for the help, and use the General Discussions for just that...;)
Ron P.
Site Admin

Re: Which software to use after PI (not Photoshop)

Postby sjj1805 » Thu Nov 19, 2009 2:33 am

jolo wrote:As we are all aware of the situation that PI is considered to be "dead", as far as Corel is concerned,

Said who?
Photoimpact is still for sale on the Corel Websites and you may be interested to know that all of the former Ulead staff that developed PhotoImpact still in fact work for Corel. Just because a new version has not come along yet does not mean it is "dead."
sjj1805

operating_system: Windows XP Pro
32bit or 64bit: 32 Bit
motherboard: Equium P200-178
processor: Intel Pentium Dual-Core Processor T2080
ram: 2 GB
Video Card: Intel 945 Express
sound_card: Intel GMA 950
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 1160 GB

Postby VikingAnimations » Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:09 am

As you yourself noted, Steve, PI X3 was not listed on Corel's UK site. If PI isn't dead, then let's see Corel prove it.
VikingAnimations

operating_system: Windows 7 Home Premium
processor: AMD A4-6300 APU w. Radeon HD Graphics 3.7 GHz
ram: 4 GB
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 1 TB
Corel programs: Ulead GIF Animator 5.05

Re: Which software to use after PI (not Photoshop)

Postby Xyzzy2 » Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:59 am

sjj1805 wrote:Photoimpact is still for sale on the Corel Websites and you may be interested to know that all of the former Ulead staff that developed PhotoImpact still in fact work for Corel. Just because a new version has not come along yet does not mean it is "dead."

Actually it's the PSP staff that has been laid out (see http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20080313PD200.html ; they developed PSP in Minnesota afaik).

There must have been major problems after Ulead acquisition, because instead of releasing a new products and cashing in on upgrades, they decided to cash in on promotions. And the products are growing old, competition is not standing in place.
Xyzzy2

operating_system: Windows 7 Professional
motherboard: MSI Z77MA-G45
processor: Intel i5-3570K
ram: 8 GB
Video Card: MSI R7770-2PMD1GD5 OC
sound_card: Realtek 892
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 6.25 TB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: HP ZR24w

Oh it's dead alright

Postby bobinorlando » Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:25 pm

Was just informed by a Corel phone rep that PhotoImpact has been discontinued by Corel.

Now as to alternatives, the obvoius question is, what about Corel's other offerings? How about the Corel Draw Digital Studio - or is that just the same old Corel Draw that is impossible to use (unless you enjoy drawing each and every little pen and ink stroke by hand with a computer)?
bobinorlando

Postby sjj1805 » Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:45 am

If they drop PhotoImpact and I have no reason to doubt what the Corel rep told you, then the next nearest thing to PhotoImpact is Paint Shop Pro.
sjj1805

operating_system: Windows XP Pro
32bit or 64bit: 32 Bit
motherboard: Equium P200-178
processor: Intel Pentium Dual-Core Processor T2080
ram: 2 GB
Video Card: Intel 945 Express
sound_card: Intel GMA 950
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 1160 GB

Postby Luna Esterhuizen » Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:42 am

This is a useless discussion on this type of board, we all feel like jolo and have the same question as him/her. What I want to know is: I use PI12 for photo editing, but also for creating Menus for Video Studio X2, does one of the applications mentioned provide this function? I would be disappointed if it cannot. Thanks!
L E
Luna Esterhuizen

operating_system: Windows 8
motherboard: Asus G750JH LAPTOP
processor: Intel Core i7 4700HQ CPU 2.40GHz
ram: 16GB DDR3
Video Card: GEFORCE GTX 780M 4GB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: ASUS LED 1920x1080

Postby Ron P. » Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:40 am

Luna,

The only program that allows working with UFO files is PhotoImpact. UFO files are also what VS and DVD MF use for the menus. Corel has been asked if the Paintshop Pro Photo program will add the UFO format to its list of working files. They've also been asked if they're going to change the DVD menu format to PSP. To date no answer to that.
Ron P.
Site Admin

Menus

Postby Luna Esterhuizen » Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:02 pm

Thank, I just did something that I never thought I would do and that is I purchased PIX3 online on there special deal. Just for the sake of making menus, I previously used ver 12 but had to do the plug in for the menus so with the final Windows 7 nstalled I thought may be I must used the latest 2 year old version while it is still available.
Thanks for your response.

PS Do you never sleep at that side of the world? By the time I wrote my reply it must have been well after midnight!
L E
Luna Esterhuizen

operating_system: Windows 8
motherboard: Asus G750JH LAPTOP
processor: Intel Core i7 4700HQ CPU 2.40GHz
ram: 16GB DDR3
Video Card: GEFORCE GTX 780M 4GB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: ASUS LED 1920x1080