NEW! Corel PaintShop Pro 2018

Burning AVCHD disk in VS X8.5

Moderators: lata, Ken Berry

Re: Burning AVCHD disk in VS X8.5

Postby Ken Berry » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:44 pm

Just to elaborate a bit more on Trevor's last post, as he says Video Studio should normally work the way you have used it in the past by editing, then going straight to the burn stage, which uses a temporary project file which you have named. But the point is that at some stage along the way, the project has to be converted into actual video, and with the method you have always used, that conversion takes place as part of the burning process ("Convert Title").

Trevor and I and quite a few others noticed that, with much older versions of Video Studio, some users were having trouble with this workflow. The burning process, we thought, was already a complicated enough process without adding an, if anything, even more complicated process like converting a project into video. Usually it might work, but sometimes it would not.

So we decided to tweak the recommended workflow by breaking it into separate individual steps. We would do our editing and then, instead of jumping straight to burning, we would first, in the Edit module, convert the project into a new video file with properties compatible with the type of disc we were wanting to burn it to. (In the case of an AVCHD disc, this includes the maximum bitrate of 18 Mbps which will allow a maximum of about 25 minutes video on a single layer DVD; while 16.8 Mbps will allow around 30 minutes.)

Having rendered that new video, we would then start a new project (Trevor's Step 3). You don't have to give the new project a name -- the objective is merely to clear the Edit module timeline. Then we could go to Share and choose one of the disc options as output.

When the Burn module opens, its timeline should be empty. This is the important part. In the Corel recommended workflow, when you have finished editing and open the Burn module, the temporary project file is transferred from the Edit to the Burn module and appears in its timeline. But with our method, we don't want that -- hence the creation of a new project in Edit first, and a clear timeline there, so nothing gets automatically transferred to the Burn timeline.

In other words, with our method, when you open the Burn module, if anything is already in its timeline, delete it! Then go to Add Media in the top left of the Burn screen and navigate to where the new video file you created in the Edit module, is located and insert it in the Burn timeline. Then you can build your menu and go to the final Burn page.

One other thing we used to recommend, and it is still worth thinking about, is to check in the Options cogwheel icon in the bottom left of the Burning screen to make sure the little box beside "Do not convert compliant MPEG files" is checked. This is now checked by default in recent versions of VS, but that was not always the case. But it is important since the new file you created in the Edit module should already be compliant AVCHD (remember, though, the maximum bitrate of 18 Mbps I mentioned). With that box ticked, when the burn process starts no further conversion of that video will be required. The only thing still needing to be converted to video is the menu. So that is why you should see "Convert Menu" and not "Convert Title" (where "Title" in this context does not mean any title you created as the name of the video, but the video itself.)
Ken Berry
Ken Berry
Site Admin

operating_system: Windows 10
System_Drive: C
32bit or 64bit: 64 Bit
motherboard: Hewlett-Packard 2B0F
processor: Core i3-4130T 2.9 GHz
ram: 8 GB
Video Card: NVidia GeForce 710A
sound_card: Realtek High Definition Audio
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 1 TB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: AOC 28" 1920 x 1080
Corel programs: VS 2018; PSP 2018; MS3D; ASP 3

Postby billbullock » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:44 pm

Hi Trevor,

I've just tied the procedure again and the same thing has happened. It seems that each time I render the project as an AVCHD file, the software produces a PRJ_CREATEDISC.VSPTEMP file. When this file is then burnt, Convert Title is the first thing to appear. Convert Menu never appears when Burn is pressed.

The way I have always burnt a disc in the past, the software places the Project VSP file, which is an m2t file the same size as the project, into the burn timeline. Then when I hit burn, Formatting Disc appears first, then Video/Audio Multiplexing, then Dispatch content to space and the disc is burnt. However, as I said, only 2 GB of the project is now being burnt for some unknown reason. I've just burnt the project again with the same result. I'm not wasting DVDs as I am using a DVD-RW disc.

Time for bed. Cheers, Bill.
billbullock

32bit or 64bit: 32 Bit
ram: 4GB
Corel programs: Video Studio X2, Pro X8.5, Pro X10.5

Postby Ken Berry » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:03 am

billbullock wrote:The way I have always burnt a disc in the past, the software places the Project VSP file, which is an m2t file the same size as the project, into the burn timeline.

Have you looked at my post immediately before your latest one? :roll: The method you have always used is precisely the one Trevor, me and others have sought to provide an alternative for when -- as surprisingly often happens -- the Corel method suddenly doesn't work properly.

You are also completely mistaken when you say the "Project VSP file ... is an m2t file". The short and only answer is that it is NOT an m2t file or any other type of video file. VSP stands for Video Studio Project, yes, but it contains no video, audio, photos. It is in fact only a small text file which tells video studio what video is in the project, where it is stored on the computer, what editing has been done to it, plus the same for anything else in the project (audio, photos etc).

That is what appears automatically in the Burning timeline using the method you have always used. No video. And what Video Studio has to do is then trace all the video and other files referred to in the VSP file, and then render them into a new video file, which can then be included in the burn, together with production of a video of the menu, and multiplexing. As I said in my long piece above, the burning process is complicated enough without adding an equally complex process like rendering the project to video form. Sometimes a computer just doesn't have the grunt to do it properly or some other fly gets into the ointment.

And that is why Trevor, me and others have come up with our alternative workflow, which separates out the conversion of the project first into a DVD or AVCHD-compatible video file as an individual and separate step. Then you move on to Trevor's Step 3 and subsequent steps for the reasons I have sought to explain in greater detail above.

So please, if you haven't already done so, have a look at my post immediately above your last one.
Ken Berry
Ken Berry
Site Admin

Postby billbullock » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:07 am

Thanks Ken. Your post appeared after I posted my last post to Trevor. I follow what you are saying but the problem persists; I am still only able to burn 2 GB of the project when using your procedure. The file I put in the burning timeline is the whole project and therefore "Convert Menu" is not appropriate which is probably why I get" Convert Title" instead. I still think I have a Windows 10 problem with my copy of Pro X8.5. Cheers, Bill.
billbullock

Postby billbullock » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:16 am

Hi Ken. Our posts are out of sync. Amazingly, when I right click on the file PRJ-CREATEDISC.VSPTEMP_(001) and select properties, it says it is a m2t file. I didn't believe it at first but I have just checked it again. Out of interest, why is the clock on this forum so far out? Surely it's approaching 2320 hours right now. Cheers, Bill.
billbullock

Postby Ken Berry » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:21 am

billbullock wrote:The file I put in the burning timeline is the whole project

But what is this file? If it is the VSP file, then your problem will persist. With your project still in the Edit module timeline, you should be going to Share and choosing AVC/H264 as the output format. Make sure the Properties shown for that format do not contain a bitrate higher than 18 Mbps. You give the new file a name and press START. This should then produce a new video file which will appear in the VS library window with the name you assigned to it. The actual file will be in the working folder list in the VS Preferences > General.

Then you go to File > New Project just to clean the Edit timeline of the project. Then you go to Share and click on fourth button down -- the one that is a circle with DVD on it. But when that screen opens, you choose AVCHD.

When the Burn module opens, if there is anything in the timeline, delete it. Then go to Add Media in the top left of screen and navigate to where your new AVCHD clip is stored and add that to the Burning timeline. Build your menu and burn.

You also now say that the properties for PRJ-CREATEDISC.VSPTEMP_(001) show that it is an m2t file. But that file is merely showing you what the VSP project file in the Burn timeline will be converted/rendered to as part of the burning process.When you open its Properties box if you look at the extreme right of the File Name box, it shows the extension is .vsp and not .m2t. I repeat: it is not an actual video file until the rendering has been done in the burning process.

As for the clock, I don't know what you are seeing. But I am on the other side of the world. I live in New Zealand, and right now the time is approaching 12:30 p.m. in the early afternoon.
Ken Berry
Ken Berry
Site Admin

Postby billbullock » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:52 am

Hi Ken. It was getting late, the wife was already in bed and I forgot about the time zone difference, sorry. Well, this morning in Portugal, I followed your procedure once more but the DVD ended up again being only 2 GB. There is obviously something wrong with my version of Pro X8.5. Thank goodness for the upgrade to Pro X10.5 which has burnt the complete project first time as well as my outstanding 3.97 GB 30 min project. Maybe we should just leave it there. Regards, Bill.
billbullock

Postby billbullock » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:51 pm

Hi Ken and Trevor,

Never the one to give up lightly, and despite having the upgrade to Pro X10.5 which works perfectly so far, I had another go at burning AVCHD discs (DVD-RW) using Pro X8.5. I used my normal procedure of burning straight to the DVD and, hey presto, I ended up with the full project on the disc at last. I then had another go using your procedure and, hey presto, I ended up with another full project on the disc. Now tell me what has been going on on my computer for the last week. It's a mystery unless a small Windows update was loaded this morning but I can only see an Adobe Flash Player update on 10 Jan. Pro X8.5 did give me a rude message yesterday saying "Convert step got some problems" _ not good English!

Thanks for your patience and helpful guidance. Cheers, Bill.
billbullock

Postby lata » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:51 pm

Hi Bill

I can only assume there is some confusion regarding VSP files and m2t files, the latter is a video file.

When you do Share – Disc – Avchd the burner module opens
The timeline at the bottom should be empty, is that correct?
If no, close the burner module, takes you back to the timelines.
Go to File – New Project
Now do Share – Disc – Avchd opens the burner module with an empty timeline, no thumbnails.
Top left of the panel is an icon to Add Video Files, browse the hard dive for your m2t video file.
Viewing Windows Explorer in Detail mode will identify the file as a M2S File.
If it describes it as a Corel Video Studio Pro Document then that is the wrong file, it must be your m2t file rendered from your project.

Forum time is the time you post your question, this post was sent at 14:51
If your profile is not upto date regarding daylight saving, then the time could be out by an hour.

Post updated, I have checked your accounts time preferences and appear to be correct, set to WET aka GMT
Regards Trevor
lata
Site Admin

motherboard: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC A88XM-A USB 3 1 Rev X.0x
processor: 4.10 gigahertz AMD A10-7890K Radeon R7
ram: 16 gb
Video Card: on board
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 500 SSD
Monitor/Display Make & Model: LG W2242 [Monitor]
Corel programs: Video Studio, PSP, PI X3, MS3D

Postby billbullock » Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:26 pm

Hi Trevor.

I have to disagree with some of your last post. I am fully aware of the difference between vsp and m2t files. I have tried further projects today using the two procedures we have been discussing. I have just burnt a disc using the Video Studio procedure, putting the project vsp file in the burn timeline. The disc was completed successfully on this occasion. Prior to that, I generated an m2t file for a different project, and followed your procedure successfully. I have to admit that my results are intermittent though as, in several other trials, I got the message "Convert step got some problems" again for no apparent reason. I do know what I am doing but my computer or/and my version of Pro X8.5 are playing up.

Thanks for your help, Bill.
billbullock

Postby canuck » Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:18 pm

billbullock wrote:Hi Trevor.

I have to disagree with some of your last post. I am fully aware of the difference between vsp and m2t files. I have tried further projects today using the two procedures we have been discussing. I have just burnt a disc using the Video Studio procedure, putting the project vsp file in the burn timeline. The disc was completed successfully on this occasion. Prior to that, I generated an m2t file for a different project, and followed your procedure successfully. I have to admit that my results are intermittent though as, in several other trials, I got the message "Convert step got some problems" again for no apparent reason. I do know what I am doing but my computer or/and my version of Pro X8.5 are playing up.

Thanks for your help, Bill.

With what from Trevors post are you disagreeing?
canuck

operating_system: Windows 8.1

Postby billbullock » Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:48 pm

His first sentence.
billbullock

Postby lata » Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:30 pm

Just to clarify my comment, I did not expect you to say that the process started with Convert Title, as that would indicate to me that either the settings are incorrect or you are not adding a compliant video file, even so you had also mentioned using a PRJ-CREATEDISC.VSPTEMP so I asked for clarification.

We are aware that rendering within the authoring stage can cause problems Re;- "Convert step got some problems"

For that reason I always render my project to a compliant video file, I have never burnt a disc directly from my project.
Regards Trevor
lata
Site Admin

motherboard: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC A88XM-A USB 3 1 Rev X.0x
processor: 4.10 gigahertz AMD A10-7890K Radeon R7
ram: 16 gb
Video Card: on board
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 500 SSD
Monitor/Display Make & Model: LG W2242 [Monitor]
Corel programs: Video Studio, PSP, PI X3, MS3D

Postby billbullock » Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:35 am

Thanks Trevor. That is clear and I now have the alternative burning method if I get a repeat of this problem. I am still not clear why the burn was being limited to 2 GB but will put it down to incompatibility between VS and Windows 10. Pro X2 worked well with Windows 7 for years in my experience.
billbullock

Previous

Return to VideoStudio