NEW! Corel PaintShop Pro 2018

Edit window

Moderators: lata, Ken Berry

Edit window

Postby Rollason » Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:32 pm

I am editing, as I have done in the post with no trouble, but now find that when I click to start editing in the preview window all I get is a flash of what is in the time line and then a reversion to pause. I can scrub the time line OK and also if I open the single clip edit window I can edit in there but I'm unable to get the main
view window to operate. I have tried various settings without success. I haven't use the programme for some months. Some help would be appreciated.
Many thanks, Roy.
Rollason

operating_system: Windows 7 Home Premium
System_Drive: C
32bit or 64bit: 64 Bit
motherboard: Intel GM 45
processor: Intel core i3 2 duo P8400 2.2GHz 1066 MHz 3MB
ram: 3GB
Video Card: 1GB ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5650 Graphics Card
sound_card: JBL 2.1 + SRS Premium Sound
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 320GB

Re: Edit window

Postby Ken Berry » Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:32 pm

Rollason wrote:I am editing, as I have done in the post with no trouble, but now find that when I click to start editing in the preview window...

What exactly are you clicking on the start editing? I am assuming you mean the play button... Or if you are wanting to play the whole project as opposed to a single clip, you are clicking on Project right below the preview screen. More information please.
Ken Berry
Ken Berry
Site Admin

operating_system: Windows 10
motherboard: Hewlett-Packard 2B0F
processor: Core i3-4130T 2.9 GHz
ram: 8 GB
Video Card: NVidia GeForce 710A
sound_card: Realtek High Definition Audio
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 1 TB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: AOC 28" 1920 x 1080
Corel programs: VS 2018; PSP 2018; MS3D; ASP 3

Postby Rollason » Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:53 pm

I am clicking on the play button below the project window in order to play the whole project. There are no single clips in the library, just chapters.
Rollason

Postby Ken Berry » Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:29 pm

Rollason wrote:There are no single clips in the library, just chapters.

I'm afraid I don't understand what you mean by this, and what significance it could have in any case to your problem.

But getting back to my earlier reply, have you clicked on the word 'Project' directly below the preview screen, instead of 'Clip', before you click on the Play button?
Ken Berry
Ken Berry
Site Admin

Postby Rollason » Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:53 pm

Hello Ken.. I'm sorry, I've not been very clear. I have a number of clips in the library which I have uploaded to VS9 from a DVD. I want to edit these onto separate DVDs. I have the clips in the library and the first clip in the timeline and showing in the Project Window and have selected Project on the left below the Project window. When I click on the Start icon the clip in the Project Window flashes to Pause and immediately returns to the Start icon. If I go to the Single Clip Trim everything works as expected. ie. the Start icon responds and the clip tracks until stopped by the Pause icon. I can scrub the Time Line and it responds in the Project window as expected. Unfortunately, I cannot get the project to track from the Start icon in the Project Window. It immediately returns to the Start Icon. Have I done something that stops the programme from working properly? Sorry to be a pain but I am totally bemused. i haven't had this problem before. Many thanks for your help, Roy Rollason
Rollason

Postby Ken Berry » Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:09 pm

Thanks for the clarifications. Makes more sense now. But I still have a couple of questions.

First, when you imported the clips from the DVD did you us VS's import feature i.e. did they import already as mpeg-2 files. Or did you just copy the .vob files from the DVD and then perhaps rename them ***.mpg?

Did you get a message asking about matching the Project Properties to those of the clip you dragged into the timeline when you first started the project?

And this was the first time you mentioned "VS9"... Did you mean the very old version 9 or the more recent X9 (19)? If the latter, have you applied all the updates?
Ken Berry
Ken Berry
Site Admin

Postby Rollason » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:45 pm

Hi Ken., First let me say the programme is VSX9. I copied the DVD using VSX9's Capture from the DVD in the Computer menu. ie. direct from the DVD. I wasn't asked what format I wanted it in and was only offered VSP in the 'Save as' box. There was no alternative. Should I have just 'Saved' it? I have since exited and deleted the original download and have gone through the capture process again, with the same result, as I expected. I am still unable to start the project in the project window. It changes directly to the start symbol again, although I can scrub in the timeline satisfactorily and likewise in the edit window as previously. I have checked that there are no 'Updates' available in either Windows 7 or VSX9. I did try to upgrade at one time to VSX10 but was unable to install and start the programme, it wouldn't accept the serial no. and I had to obtain a refund. I am prepared to give this another try but have no confidence this will solve my problem. With regards, Roy.
Rollason

Postby canuck » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:27 pm

I still don't understand how you got the video from the DVD to the VS X9 library.
What does this exactly mean: "I copied the DVD using VSX9's Capture from the DVD in the Computer menu"? Please explain in detail what you are doing.
canuck

operating_system: Windows 8.1

Postby Rollason » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:22 pm

I believe where I may have gone wrong is that I didn't copy the DVD to the library. I used Capture from DSX9 directly onto the DVD itself and that gave me the video directly into the workspace without putting the DVD clips into the library. Does this make sense? I guess that then the Project window would only show one frame of a clip before returning to the start icon again. Does this seem sensible to you? Roy.
Rollason

Postby canuck » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:51 pm

Simply copy the Video_TS folder from the DVD to your hard drive. You can then put the DVD away and only work (import) from the copied folder.

Personally, I almost never use the library but get the video from a dedicated project folder that contains all the sources required for that project.

The library does not contain any clips, audio, etc at all. The library only contains thumbnails that are the link to where the actual clip is stored.
Right-click on a clip in your library and the select "Locate on Computer". Can you play the selected clip?
canuck

operating_system: Windows 8.1

Postby Ken Berry » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:48 pm

The method canuck has described is an easy and quick way of getting the contents of a DVD onto your computer. You can even go into the Video_TS folder and rename the extensions of the.vob files to .mpg. They should normally then be easy to open in the Video Studio library or timeline for cutting up and editing if you are not after the whole DVD.

But I am still interested in exactly what you did when you say you "captured" the DVD using X9's Capture menu. In the photo I have attached of the VS Capture menu. So which option did you use? The "Import from Digital Media" is what you should have chosen. The file structure to which the red arrow is pointing should then open, and you then choose the drive where your DVD is sitting. This will then open the file structure on the DVD and you choose which bits you want to import ("capture"). In doing this you have to place a tick in the tiny box in the top of the frames shown.

VS Capture DVD.jpg

Or did you, as I am beginning to suspect, choose the bottom option: "Live Screen Capture". If that did indeed open, then depending on how you used it, it might have produced the single image that you are seeing.
Ken Berry
Ken Berry
Site Admin

Postby Rollason » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:20 am

Thank you, Ken, that clarifies it for me. I'll use your method in future. Many thanks indeed. Roy
Rollason

Postby Rollason » Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:15 pm

We appear to be getting no further forward with this. I captured the video from the DVD originally using your method, Ken. I have, again, captured using your method with the same effect as I originally explained. ie. playing the video in the project window appears to show one frame and then goes back to the play triangle again. If I play the video in the single clip window it will play with no apparent difficulty. I can scrub in the timeline no trouble and can scrub in the single clip window without a problem. Incidentally, I have found something which refers to video mixing renderer, is this of significance? I am clutching at straws now.
I have also bought and downloaded VS10 and have exactly the same effect using that programme. Is there something wrong perhaps with my computer? Roy.
Rollason

Postby lata » Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:22 pm

Hi

From your clip on the timeline, right click and choose properties, what are they?
You can make a copy of that panel as a jpeg image and attach to your post.
Regards Trevor
lata
Site Admin

motherboard: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC A88XM-A USB 3 1 Rev X.0x
processor: 4.10 gigahertz AMD A10-7890K Radeon R7
ram: 16 gb
Video Card: on board
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 500 SSD
Monitor/Display Make & Model: LG W2242 [Monitor]
Corel programs: Video Studio, PSP, PI X3, MS3D

Postby Rollason » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:47 pm

I would love to but unfortunately my keyboard, 'print screen', doesn't appear to be working. Is there some other way of doing this? Roy
Rollason

Next

Return to VideoStudio