NEW! Corel PaintShop Pro 2018

Wishlist for VS X11

Moderators: lata, Ken Berry

Wishlist for VS X11

Postby Ken Berry » Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:49 am

As always when a new version is released we provide a topic in which your wishes for the next version can be posted.

This allows us to direct any visiting Corel development staff to just one topic to see what users want rather than wading through a few hundred posts.

A lot of the wishes for X10 have not been added so here's your chance to add them again.
Ken Berry
Ken Berry
Site Admin

operating_system: Windows 10
System_Drive: C
32bit or 64bit: 64 Bit
motherboard: Hewlett-Packard 2B0F
processor: Core i3-4130T 2.9 GHz
ram: 8 GB
Video Card: NVidia GeForce 710A
sound_card: Realtek High Definition Audio
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 1 TB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: AOC 28" 1920 x 1080
Corel programs: VS X10; PSP 2018; MS3D; ASP 3

Re: Wishlist for VS X11

Postby Old_Friend » Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:25 pm

Please, [In EDIT MODE] include the name and/or type of each user-action performed, while editing, into the UNDO LIST. When I have the option to "Replace Last Effect" [unchecked], that has little to do with all the other actions I perform which are NOT "Effects." Currently, when looking at the Undo list, VS says only "Undo." -- Well, undo what? That's no help at all. I use an older version of CorelPaint and its Undo steps describe the kinds of actions I have taken to make it easy to know almost exactly what it is that I'll be "Undoing." Since they are both Corel products, I'd like more consistency with some of the more user-friendly options. Also, it would be nice and convenient if the VSP file would carry the information over from one session to another, even after a movie has been created. That way, if corrections would be needed to the movie, the VSP file would still be intact for further editing.
MB: ASRock Z68 Extreme 3 Gen 3, CPU: Intel Corei5 (2500K), GPU: Intel Onboard, SND: Onboard, CPU COOLER: CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Evo
PSU: Seasonic X650W 80+Gold, RAM: G.SKILL 8GB-F3, CASE: LIAN LI A70F, OS: Windows7 64-bit, IE11, VS Pro X5/X9 Ultimate
Old_Friend

operating_system: Windows 7 Professional
motherboard: ASRock Z68 Extreme 3 Gen 3
processor: Intel Corei5 2500K
ram: 8GB
Video Card: Intel Onboard
sound_card: Intel Onboard
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 500GB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: Acer H233H - 23" HDMI
Corel programs: VS Ultimate X5, VS Ultimate X9

Postby Djard007 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:19 am

I know my wish will never, ever, ever, be realized because the focus of technical writing has increasingly shifted from the 'how' to the 'what'. So-called "User Guides" that tell the user what to do but not how to do it, almost routinely leave the customer frustrated and ensures the need for user-to-user forums. Still, here is my wish (the 'what' as well as the 'how'.)

The WHAT:

Offer a clear and concise user guide for your software.

The HOW:

1) Let the software developer/engineer write the user guide.
2) Have a grammarian rewrite the user guide in correct English, collaborating with the developer team.
3) Recruit an absolute newbie.
4) Have the newbie follow the guide to perform each task.
5) If the newbie is unable to succeed in performing the task by trying to follow the steps in the guide, send the instructions back for clarification or to add the missing step(s).
6) Once the newbie can perform all the tasks by following the guide, celebrate being the first computer-related company to ever offer a logical guide.
Djard
Corel VS Ultimate X9
Corel PSP Ultimate X8
Win 7 Ultimate (x64), 12 GB RAM, 6TB HDD
Dual Samsung 23" monitors
Djard007

operating_system: Windows 7 Ultimate
motherboard: Asus P6T
processor: Pentium quad core
ram: 12 GB
Video Card: ATI All-in-Wonder HD
sound_card: Onboard Dolby 7.1
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 6 TB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: Dual Samsung 23" LED
Corel programs: Paint Shop Pro Ultimate X9

Postby Terfyn » Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:30 am

I still have a User Guide for X5 written by Marc Bech. Unfortunately no one wrote an updated book. I still rely on the video tutorials supplied by Gripps and others.
I guess Corel relies on this Forum and user sources to do the job of providing a comprehensive operation manual.
I used to be indecisive. Now I'm not so sure.
Terfyn

motherboard: ASUSTeK P8H61-MX
processor: Intel Corei5-2320
ram: 8Gb
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 210
sound_card: NVIDIA High Def Audio
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 1000 Gb
Monitor/Display Make & Model: Acer & LG
Corel programs: VS X10 and PSP X8

Postby asik1 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:44 am

Djard007 wrote:I know my wish will never, ever, ever, be realized because the focus of technical writing has increasingly shifted from the 'how' to the 'what'. So-called "User Guides" that tell the user what to do but not how to do it, almost routinely leave the customer frustrated and ensures the need for user-to-user forums. Still, here is my wish (the 'what' as well as the 'how'.)
The WHAT:
Offer a clear and concise user guide for your software.
The HOW:

1) Let the software developer/engineer write the user guide.
2) Have a grammarian rewrite the user guide in correct English, collaborating with the developer team.
3) Recruit an absolute newbie.
4) Have the newbie follow the guide to perform each task.
5) If the newbie is unable to succeed in performing the task by trying to follow the steps in the guide, send the instructions back for clarification or to add the missing step(s).
6) Once the newbie can perform all the tasks by following the guide, celebrate being the first computer-related company to ever offer a logical guide.

Hi, you have few fundamental mistakes, the software developer/engineers do not know what to do with the tools they half develops, they are not video editors (do you think that the craftsman who makes a chisel is a sculptor also).
Any video editing (or any creative) software needs to be explored and trialed over and over again, most users here unfortunately use and know only about 10-25% of the tools. What to do with them is part of a developed esthetics and the goal of the project that the user have.
A user guide is not a users course.
Last edited by asik1 on Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
asik1

motherboard: H170M-E D3
processor: i5-6600
ram: 8gb
Video Card: ENGT430
Corel programs: X9.2

Postby Old_Friend » Sat Mar 04, 2017 5:31 am

Djard007 wrote:I know my wish will never, ever, ever, be realized because the focus of technical writing has increasingly shifted from the 'how' to the 'what'. So-called "User Guides" that tell the user what to do but not how to do it, almost routinely leave the customer frustrated and ensures the need for user-to-user forums......

The main problem in the industry is that companies do not hire PROFESSIONAL, SENIOR TECHNICAL WRITERS. A "Senior Technical Writer" is an actual job title, earned by years of experience.
--Companies want to save money. So, Instead, they either let or force their unqualified staff do the writing.

It's a well-known statement in the Technical Writing industry that Programmers and Engineers should NEVER be allowed to write User Manuals. They are not Professional Technical Writers! Most often, they are the least qualified to do so because they are "too close" to the technical details of the work they've done in the code. They can't see the end result from an actual user's point of view! Plus, they aren't trained in the field of Technical Writing.

It's either the budgets, their own ego's, or both which allow the farce. The same is true for those people who "think" they are qualified to write User Guides for art-related software. Just because they may have used Crayons in elementary school does NOT qualify them to write professional documentation about how to use art-related software, effectively.
I'm speaking from over 25 years experience, in both of those fields. As far as Corel VS goes, the ones who are responsible to check their own programming and the user-interface, have lost sight of integrity and quality. Corel could hire true (qualified) Alpha/Beta testers (in house) to find the flaws and fix them --before releasing the product to the public merely so the company can save the cost of doing it right themselves, the first time!

Companies actual can lose money by inflaming their own customers due to the often shoddy product-usability and the frustrating, nearly useless documentation.
MB: ASRock Z68 Extreme 3 Gen 3, CPU: Intel Corei5 (2500K), GPU: Intel Onboard, SND: Onboard, CPU COOLER: CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Evo
PSU: Seasonic X650W 80+Gold, RAM: G.SKILL 8GB-F3, CASE: LIAN LI A70F, OS: Windows7 64-bit, IE11, VS Pro X5/X9 Ultimate
Old_Friend

motherboard: ASRock Z68 Extreme 3 Gen 3
processor: Intel Corei5 2500K
Video Card: Intel Onboard
sound_card: Intel Onboard
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 500GB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: Acer H233H - 23" HDMI
Corel programs: VS Ultimate X5, VS Ultimate X9

Postby tigerwarrior » Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:15 am

For me I just want it to be quick. Vista was just way to slow for my liking.
tigerwarrior

operating_system: Windows 8.1
System_Drive: B

Postby John-T-Smith » Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:33 pm

Being curious, I did a search on Amazon... I found after market user guides for x4 + x5 by Marc Bech, but nothing newer... I guess not enough sales to warrant writing a new book

Until/unless Corel does a better help guide of their own, we just continue visiting here and searching for help on YouTube
Canon SX510 HS - MOV H.264 24bit color 1280x720 29.97 fps LPCM 48khz audio
All SSD - 256Gig Boot + 256Gig Temp + 512Gig Input + 128Gig for all Output
Grass Valley ADVC 110 via Firewire IEEE1394 cable to convert analog to digital
John-T-Smith

motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth
processor: Intel i7
ram: 32 Gig
Video Card: nVidia GTX760 2Gig
sound_card: Motherboard
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 1152 4SSD
Monitor/Display Make & Model: Samsung P2770
Corel programs: VSX9 (19.5.0.35)

Postby javiergad » Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:11 pm

Please in the VS X11 ULTIMATE PACK include a audio editor o daw to transform this to complete multimedia studio.
The version VS X11 support spanish language. please.
:) :) :)
javiergad

processor: intel i3
ram: 4 gb
Video Card: gt630
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 320gb

Postby VincaWang » Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:07 am

I am a Chinese user, so I want to share the video after the completion of the Youku, love fancy, Tencent and other Chinese social networking sites, not YouTube, Facebook ...
VincaWang

Hard_Drive_Capacity: 900GB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: ThinkPad

Postby TonyP » Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:44 pm

Old_Friend wrote:
Djard007 wrote:Corel could hire true (qualified) Alpha/Beta testers (in house) to find the flaws and fix them --before releasing the product to the public merely so the company can save the cost of doing it right themselves, the first time!
Companies actual can lose money by inflaming their own customers due to the often shoddy product-usability and the frustrating, nearly useless documentation.

As a alpha/beta tester for several products (non-paid), and a long time, intimate user of the products, putting the blame on the beta testers as not being capable is just plain wrong. Voluntary beta testers are "usually" ones that are engaged with the product they are testing, and usually have an interest in making sure that the product is the best it can be. Now, look at the wording of the "job title". Beta "tester". Testing and reporting, and sometimes making suggestions is what they do. They do not make policy, say what goes into the product or even when it's released. Every beta tester I know want the products they test to be 100% bug free. It doesn't happen. There is marketing and release dates that happen to be not influenced at all by what beta testers say.

Beta testers are involved in testing usually by closed invites only. Even here, do you see a general post asking for people to beta test VS? I haven't...maybe I missed it. Beta testers (not the "game" open beta testers) are a determine bunch that bring an expertise to testing the products they want to see be a success. It is not up to them what is written in the user manual or when a product is released. That's the way it is for almost all beta testers out there. I am sure the beta testers for VS do the best they can in reporting bugs and issues.

Now.... about the manual thing. One thing is, Corel does have great people who do video tutorials. You have Gripps and you get 21 days free access to StudioBacklot, which not only includes great tutorials, but lots of content you can download for use in VS. The rest is up to you to actually do the work. I can't imagine how many pages would be written or how long videos would be just for knowing how to "keyframe".
Last edited by TonyP on Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TonyP

motherboard: Gigabtye AB350 Gaming 3
processor: AMD Ryzen 7 1700X 8core 16threads OC 4.0Ghz
ram: 16GB 3200
Video Card: MSI Gaming X RX480 8GB
sound_card: Realtek
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 5TB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: LG 27" IPS 4k, Acer 24" 1920x1080
Corel programs: X4-6U, X9U, X10U, PSPX9U, AfterShot3

Postby Radim » Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:19 pm

Please remove all "out-dated" content and "out-dated" formats. Most people use nowdays MP4, MKV and perhaps WMV.

Enhance installer *not* to install old images, sounds, themes, etc. that nobody, really nobody needs/use.

T H A N K Y O U.

PS: Such as PaintShop Pro X7-X9 is. :wink:
Radim

operating_system: Windows 8
32bit or 64bit: 32 Bit

Postby Djard007 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:01 pm

My lamentation was that folks who write software manuals are incaplable of communicating in writing instructions for performing tasks.

I can tolerate periods outside of quotations, split infinitives and even subject-verb disagreements; but such oversight as missing steps--especially stating WHAT to do instead of HOW--is annoying.

Only once in 40 years have I seen an excellent tutorial, and that was a graphic for Norton Ghost.

While marketing departments harmfully cause premature releases, the problem of poorly written manuals will continue because students that cannot distinguish between a dependent and independent clause get a pass for English at school. As software becomes more advanced, the value of forums like this one will only increase.
Djard
Corel VS Ultimate X9
Corel PSP Ultimate X8
Win 7 Ultimate (x64), 12 GB RAM, 6TB HDD
Dual Samsung 23" monitors
Djard007

motherboard: Asus P6T
processor: Pentium quad core
ram: 12 GB
Video Card: ATI All-in-Wonder HD
sound_card: Onboard Dolby 7.1
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 6 TB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: Dual Samsung 23" LED
Corel programs: Paint Shop Pro Ultimate X9

Postby asik1 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:05 pm

Djard007 wrote:My lamentation was that folks who write software manuals are incaplable of communicating in writing instructions for performing tasks.
I can tolerate periods outside of quotations, split infinitives and even subject-verb disagreements; but such oversight as missing steps--especially stating WHAT to do instead of HOW--is annoying.

Only once in 40 years have I seen an excellent tutorial, and that was a graphic for Norton Ghost.
While marketing departments harmfully cause premature releases, the problem of poorly written manuals will continue because students that cannot distinguish between a dependent and independent clause get a pass for English at school. As software becomes more advanced, the value of forums like this one will only increase.

Boy you are so correct, and we do meet these students not only in english but even in Hebrew here...
It's a global epidemic of poorly language skills of the young.
asik1

motherboard: H170M-E D3
processor: i5-6600
ram: 8gb
Video Card: ENGT430
Corel programs: X9.2

Postby TonyP » Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:56 pm

Radim wrote:Please remove all "out-dated" content and "out-dated" formats. Most people use nowdays MP4, MKV and perhaps WMV.

Enhance installer *not* to install old images, sounds, themes, etc. that nobody, really nobody needs/use.

T H A N K Y O U.

PS: Such as PaintShop Pro X7-X9 is. :wink:

Those features might be "outdated for you, but there are people out there that might still use them. Like AVI support. You even removed MOV format that is common in Canon DSLR cameras. You've also eliminated the Sony X-AVC since is uses the MXF rapper/container. What about M2T or MTS which many older 1080HD camcorders use? MP4 is only a rapper/container for the actual codec, so I don't follow what you are asking for. The same with "out dated" content. I haven't used SD in ages, yet, there are people that still record and want to edit in that format, especially when transferring old VHS tapes, along with having SD content to work with. Unless you have access to some info everyone else does not, it's not really accurate to say "nobody needs/use" these features. Edius, a pro editor, prides itself and advertises it ability to import any format.
Consumer editors are made to appeal to the broadest base possible. And since, as far as I know, the "out-dated" content has no affect on the performance of VS except space on the hard drive, why not keep it? As you know, you can selectively install a lot of the "outdated" content, or not install any of it at all.
I shoot mainly in 4K. So, I should ask everything "outdated" be eliminated too since it's the latest, greatest and the future? I think not.
TonyP

motherboard: Gigabtye AB350 Gaming 3
processor: AMD Ryzen 7 1700X 8core 16threads OC 4.0Ghz
ram: 16GB 3200
Video Card: MSI Gaming X RX480 8GB
sound_card: Realtek
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 5TB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: LG 27" IPS 4k, Acer 24" 1920x1080
Corel programs: X4-6U, X9U, X10U, PSPX9U, AfterShot3