insufficient memory

Postby bassmike on Mon May 14, 2012 6:07 pm

I have been using videostudio pro for about 5 years, I currently am using x4 version 14.2.0.23 . I have not been doing any video editing in the past 5 months but the program was working very well for me when I stopped. I am trying to create a short movie mostly titles and pictures and now I am having a terrible time with insufficient memory errors. Basically if I create a two word title as soon as I add an effect or transition I start getting the error. If I load a video it plays fine, I have made some modifications just to see what happens, seems to be working fine until I apply an effect or transition. I have been troubleshooting this for a couple of weeks, gone through the forum as thoroughly as I can, searched the web and tried every fix that I have found but still no luck. I have cleaned out the C partition so I have about 30 gig free, defragged the partition, I have run memory diagnostics and stress tested the hardware components. I have updated all the drivers I could find, I have the most current bios. I remembered quicktime used to be an issue way back and tried changing that back to an older version but that did not help either. I use several other programs that are on this computer that would probably be considered memory intensive as well (not at the same time) and they continue to operate correctly.

The only thing that I am sure I have done that could be a problem since I last used the program was download some new titles and 1 template.

Not sure what to check next! Anybody have any ideas? I think this is a great product to work with, I have always had some nagging problems with it that I had to work around, but nothing like this.

Thank You,
Mike
bassmike

operating_system: Windows XP Pro
System_Drive: C
32bit or 64bit: 32 Bit
motherboard: Intel D945GTP
processor: Pentium 4 3.06Ghz
ram: 3 Gb
Video Card: radeon 7000 series
sound_card: on board
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 1TB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: dell e176fp + hp mx70

Re: insufficient memory

Postby Ken Berry on Mon May 14, 2012 8:50 pm

You don't tell us anything about the video you are editing when this occurs. You haven't, for instance, recently bought a new AVCHD camcorder, have you? If so, your computer is simply not up to editing that very demanding format.
Ken Berry
Ken Berry
Site Admin

operating_system: Windows 7 Home Premium
32bit or 64bit: 64 Bit
motherboard: Hewlett-Packard 17FB 10.58
processor: i7 2.2 GHz
ram: 4 GB
Video Card: Radeon HD 7690M XT 1 GB RAM
sound_card: On Board Intel
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 640 GB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: BENQ G2420 HD 1920x1080 24"

Postby bassmike on Mon May 14, 2012 9:32 pm

Sorry I thought I explained that in my first post. I am not using a video from a camcorder, on this project I am creating a video with text and pictures. I am having the problem just using the text with effects. It does not make any difference if I have the pictures in the project or not. The pictures are going to be .jpg format.

Mike
bassmike

Postby canuck on Mon May 14, 2012 10:10 pm

bassmike wrote:Sorry I thought I explained that in my first post. I am not using a video from a camcorder, on this project I am creating a video with text and pictures. I am having the problem just using the text with effects. It does not make any difference if I have the pictures in the project or not. The pictures are going to be .jpg format.

Mike

What is the exact error message? Insufficient memory does not mean low hard drive space.
Do you get therror with every effect or transition you add or only with certain ones? Does it happen with the first text slide or only after you have added several?

Is there a problem if you have no effects or transitions.
canuck

operating_system: Vista Home Premium

Postby bassmike on Mon May 14, 2012 11:17 pm

I pulled 10 title clips one at a time onto the time line, several of them were ones where I have entered my own text, the others were just standard clips. Everything works fine until I click on one of them to edit the text or add an effect. That is when I get the error insufficient memory [19600:0:10]. Once I get this error any click on any portion of the screen inside VS causes the error to come back and requires multiple clicks on the error to get the box to close. With the 10 title clips it took 25 clicks on the error box to finally close it. I closed VS which required another 24 or 25 clicks on the error box, opened up VS again, new project added 1 stock title, as soon as I click on it to edit it I get the same results including needing to click the error 24 or so times before it closes. It does not seem to make a difference which title I pick they were all different ones.

Mike
bassmike

Postby canuck on Mon May 14, 2012 11:25 pm

bassmike wrote:I pulled 10 title clips one at a time onto the time line, several of them were ones where I have entered my own text, the others were just standard clips. Everything works fine until I click on one of them to edit the text or add an effect. That is when I get the error insufficient memory [19600:0:10]. Once I get this error any click on any portion of the screen inside VS causes the error to come back and requires multiple clicks on the error to get the box to close. With the 10 title clips it took 25 clicks on the error box to finally close it. I closed VS which required another 24 or 25 clicks on the error box, opened up VS again, new project added 1 stock title, as soon as I click on it to edit it I get the same results including needing to click the error 24 or so times before it closes. It does not seem to make a difference which title I pick they were all different ones.

Mike

Exactly what do you mean by "title clips"? For me a title clip is a video clip or movie that becomes a menu title.

Is it possible for you to upload a couple of clips as examples to a free upload site such as "up4down" or other site.
canuck

operating_system: Vista Home Premium

Postby bassmike on Mon May 14, 2012 11:37 pm

I am just using the title clips that come with VS. I did add some new ones from the Get More Content button a while back but that was before I started having this trouble so I am not sure if that was the cause of this problem. It does not seem to make a difference if I use the original batch or one of the new ones I still get the same error.

Mike
bassmike

Re: insufficient memory [:19600.0.10:]

Postby bassmike on Tue May 15, 2012 4:10 pm

Update:

I still have x3 installed and get the same errors using it? I tried adding a picture .bmp add an effect to the picture and end up with the same errors.

Mike
bassmike

Postby df on Tue May 15, 2012 6:31 pm

Windows does have a memory management system in place but it's not something that most users can access. There is one program that can do that for you http://majorgeeks.com/CleanMem_d5993.html I started using it with PaintShop Pro X3 because PSP X3 had this habit of not releasing the memory back to the computer after you've closed a file. CleanMem, the program I've linked too, uses the actual Windows protocol to get unused memory back from all of your programs. I've set CleanMem to run every 5 minutes, even on my 64 bit 8gb machine. CleanMem works differntly than most other memory management programs. Most of those just push your RAM off into the page file (unloads your RAM onto your slower hard drive in a temp file). This does the opposite, it has Windows un-allocate the RAM to free it up for anything else.

If this doesn't solve your problem then you'll likely need to reinstall Video Studio.
Regards, Dan

"Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast."
df

motherboard: ECS MCP61M-M3 7.0
processor: 3.10 gigahertz AMD Phenom II X2 550
ram: 16gb
Video Card: Nvidia GTX 650 Ti Boost
sound_card: onboard sound
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 4+ Tb
Monitor/Display Make & Model: Acer X223W & Acer X203H & HDTV

Postby lata on Tue May 15, 2012 7:21 pm

Hi Mike

It seems strange that you are having the same problem with both X3 and X4.
I would suspect the type of files you are using, maybe sat in the library.

Try re-setting the work station back to its installed default state.
This will also set the library back to its default.

First Export the library from Settings - Library Manager, you can always revert back by using the import option.

Close Video Studio, then re-name the folder "14.0" to "14.0 copy"
When you start VS a new 14.0 folder will be created.

C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\Application Data\Ulead Systems\Corel VideoStudio Pro\14.0\en-US

There is a similar folder for X3, so try that as well.

Jpeg Images, what type are you using, Progressive types can cause problems, right click a clip and select properties, the Jpeg tab will show the encoding mode, should be Baseline
lata
Site Admin

motherboard: ASUSTeK Computer INC. M3A78-CM Rev X.0x
processor: 2.20 gigahertz AMD Phenom 9550 Quad-Core
ram: 4 gb
Video Card: ATI Radeon 3100 Graphics [Display adapter]
sound_card: on board--VIA High Definition Audio
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 2 off 500G
Monitor/Display Make & Model: LG W2242 [Monitor]

Postby df on Tue May 15, 2012 8:00 pm

lata wrote:Try re-setting the work station back to its installed default state.

How do you do that?
Regards, Dan

"Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast."
df

motherboard: ECS MCP61M-M3 7.0
processor: 3.10 gigahertz AMD Phenom II X2 550
ram: 16gb
Video Card: Nvidia GTX 650 Ti Boost
sound_card: onboard sound
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 4+ Tb
Monitor/Display Make & Model: Acer X223W & Acer X203H & HDTV

Postby lata on Wed May 16, 2012 9:11 am

By replacing the 14.0 folder as detailed in the previous post

Ok i found the Corel info.........

000011404 - Resetting VideoStudio Pro X4 to Factory Defaults
lata
Site Admin

Monitor/Display Make & Model: LG W2242 [Monitor]

Postby bassmike on Wed May 16, 2012 9:50 pm

Thank you all for the advice! I have tried everything indicated except using memory clean, I am always rebooting the computer before using VS so I didn't think that would be the initial problem. I will give it a try one of these days.

I have managed to get things working though. This is probably one for the books as they say. If I drag the time line, preview screen and library panels all from one monitor to the other monitor the problem goes away. I have not worked with this extensively yet so the problem may come back but all of the testing I have done so far indicates that it is working correctly. So I just set up a custom layout setting to start up that way.

This must be some kind of video driver issue? Maybe I need to go back to an older version?

Thanks again for all the great help!
Mike
bassmike

Postby lata on Thu May 17, 2012 8:04 am

Hi Mike

If its the workstation layout that's causing the problem.
Have you detached the individual panels or are you working with all panels set as default, attached.

Press F7 to restore to default layout, or go to Settings--Layout Settings
lata
Site Admin