Upgrade to enable AVI H.264 editing?

Postby gubgub on Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:21 pm

Hi, I have Video Studio 11 running on Vista and have been really pleased with it. However, I have just bought a new HD Camcorder that outputs files in AVI format encoded H.264. Unfortunately my version of Video Studio does not seem to support files in this format. I would like to continue to use the software that I am familiar with. Can anyone tell me if there is a more recent version that I can upgrade to that will support this file format?
gubgub

operating_system: Vista Home Premium
System_Drive: C
32bit or 64bit: 32 Bit
motherboard: Dell Inc. 0K216C
processor: Intel[R]Core[TM]2 Duo CPU E4700 2.60GHz
ram: 2GB
Video Card: Intel[R] G33 G31 Express Chipset Family
sound_card: Realtek High Definition Audio
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 300GB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: Acoustic Solutions LCD TV

Re: Upgrade to enable AVI H.264 editing?

Postby Ron P. on Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:03 pm

If you're wanting to upgrade you might have a problem.. :( It seems that Corel is only qualifying versions VS X2 and above, so VS 11 does not qualify for upgrade pricing. The current version VS Pro X4, does in fact support the H.264 AVC format.
Ron Petersen, Web Board Administrator
Ron P.
Site Admin

operating_system: Windows 8
32bit or 64bit: 64 Bit
motherboard: Hewlett-Packard 2AF3 1.0
processor: 3.40 gigahertz Intel Core i7-4770
ram: 16GB
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 645
sound_card: NVIDIA High Definition Audio
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 4TB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: Dell SE198WFP-Desktop

Postby gubgub on Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:07 pm

Thanks Ron for your quick reply. I have now downloaded the trial version of VS Pro X4 and whilst it does indeed recognise the file format and the clips play back fine individually, when I insert them into the timeline of a project they become juddery and fragmented. I'm reluctant to pay for the full version if the finished movie will look like that when burned to DVD or otherwise exported. Any idea what could be causing this and how to stop it? Could it just be that my PC is not powerful enough? It has always been fine working with VS11 and mostly MPEG 4 files.
gubgub

Postby Ron P. on Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:27 pm

That's not necessarily the program doing that. It could be your system set up, however we don't know what that is. Please go to the User Control Panel of the web board and complete that information in your profile. This could also be just a common occurrence, from VS having to throw everything together on-the-fly for you to preview. The highly compressed AVCHD demands an enormous amount of computer power, so it is highly recommended that you have a quad-core system to work with it. What you're seeing in during preview playback, is not what the final product will be.
Ron Petersen, Web Board Administrator
Ron P.
Site Admin

operating_system: Windows 8
motherboard: Hewlett-Packard 2AF3 1.0
processor: 3.40 gigahertz Intel Core i7-4770
ram: 16GB
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 645
sound_card: NVIDIA High Definition Audio
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 4TB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: Dell SE198WFP-Desktop

Postby Trevor Andrew on Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:17 pm

Hi

To add to Rons reply, Video Studio uses Smart Proxy, this creates smaller files, representing your HD clips.
Proxy files will be created after adding HD clips to the timeline, however this does take a little time, be patient. Things should improve.
View Settings Smart Proxy Queue and Manager.
Trevor Andrew

Postby gubgub on Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:48 pm

OK. I've tried to provide as much as I can. Does that help at all?
gubgub

Postby Ken Berry on Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:21 pm

Thank you for the details.

Have you tried the SmartProxy route that Trevor suggested...? It really works.

And to add to Ron's comments above, I have a Quad system, and get (slightly) juddery playback at times in Project mode with AVCHD. But when I actually render it to something new, the new file -- or disc -- plays back smoothly. So I would also urge you to try to render your project into a new video of some kind -- either another AVCHD or downgrading it from a high def AVCHD to standard def DVD. And with the latter, you don't even have to potentially waste a disc. You can instead burn to a DVD folder and play that back on a software DVD player to check it out.
Ken Berry
Ken Berry
Site Admin

operating_system: Windows 7 Home Premium
motherboard: Hewlett-Packard 17FB 10.58
processor: i7 2.2 GHz
ram: 4 GB
Video Card: Radeon HD 7690M XT 1 GB RAM
sound_card: On Board Intel
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 640 GB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: BENQ G2420 HD 1920x1080 24"

Postby gubgub on Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:42 pm

Thanks Ken. It looks as though downgrading the files is probably the answer, though it is somewhat time consuming. One thing I have just noticed though (and it seems to be what is causing the problems) is that for a few seconds at the start of each clip I am getting a logo appearing in the bottom right hand corner of the frame saying "Div X Plus HD". Is this something to do with the software or is it being imported with the file? Really annoying if the latter. If the former, is there any way to get rid of it?
gubgub

Postby Ken Berry on Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:35 pm

Ah, so it is DivX .avi! If you have bought the DivX package, you can turn that watermark off. It is indeed annoying, and returns with each upgrade, even if you have purchased it. But as I say, you can turn it off, though not in the free version.

As for taking more time to do the conversion, it doesn't really if you think about it. The original video/project is going to have to be rendered at some time or other since to burn it to DVD requires it to become mpeg-2. And the rendering will take the same amount of time, whether it is done as a separate step before you open the burning module, or as part of the burning process. However, the latter is already complicated enough, without adding to it the very complex -- in the case of DivX -- process of converting your avi's to mpeg-2.
Ken Berry
Ken Berry
Site Admin

motherboard: Hewlett-Packard 17FB 10.58
processor: i7 2.2 GHz
ram: 4 GB
Video Card: Radeon HD 7690M XT 1 GB RAM
sound_card: On Board Intel
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 640 GB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: BENQ G2420 HD 1920x1080 24"

Postby woxof on Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:04 am

Well this is interesting.
I bought a new computer AMD 6 Core and 8GB of ram JUST so I could edit my Gigaware camcorder 720 HD. For the same reasons mentioned of jerkiness etc. my Pentium 4 1GB was not cutting it anymore, I thought. I upgraded to the free Corel Video Studio Pro X4 (what marketing FOOL came up with that mouthful of nonsense?) which seemed a little better on the old Dell than VS 11.5. Now I find out it was faulty software all along! I've tried saving as some other format. It seemed to work on the dell but not here. Smart Proxy? Like a lot of things in X4 not made obvious and not sure when and where you do it or what the Q is all about. Just like the lack of real fonts and complicated downloads for weird templates and all the other confusion. I've been through about 5 versions of VS and other Ulead programs DVD this and Slideshow that and now they are selling this? When it's not even ready to edit a common HD format? I just tried to put together about 1.5 minutes of 720p video (gave up on 1080 because I thought it was the problem in the beginning before this video) to upload to YouTube. Now it is 3 hours later and I'm still looking at a herky - jerky mess.

So how does smart proxy work i rite click or open the proxy manager no files are listed in q or manager nothing changes. and there still is a jerky mess.
woxof

Postby Trevor Andrew on Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:29 am

Hi

Smart Proxy creates smaller versions of the original HD clips. Which ones? any clip having a frame size above 720 x ***
Creation of these clips can take a while.
Go to Setting Preferences-Performance tab for info, Smart Proxy is as far as I know turned on by default.

It then uses these for playback, which should improve and be much smoother.

Ok

Smart Proxy Queue:-
Settings - Smart Proxy – Smart Proxy Queue Manager
After inserting a video clip to the timeline the clip is converted to a proxy file, this queue shows the clips being converted, or in a queue ready for conversion.

If you exit Video Studio before this process has finished then the process will be terminated, proxy files will not be created.
Once created a small icon can be seen in the middle of the clip in the timeline.

You can manually activate Smart Proxy, right click a file in timeline, select Create Smart Proxy File.

Settings-Smart Proxy – Smart Proxy File Manager.
This lists all files that have been created.
Trevor Andrew

Postby woxof on Sat Apr 09, 2011 2:56 am

Thanks for the answer.
I still don't get it. Do I click on the clips in the library? Smart Proxy is an option there. Or do I click on them after they are in the time line? I tried last night and tonight i only see one clip of the 6 in the que. they are 6 very short clips. Smart proxy seems to do nothing. You say there is some symbol in the thumb nail that indicates it is now smart proxy? WHAT is it? the little film clip icon in the library thumb nails? something else? When you say it takes some time to convert to smart proxy give me a number: X min. for X min of video, I mean should I wait for the coffee to boil or go for a jog while it is doing whatever it is supposed to do. Do I have to keep some part of SP open as it does its work?
I have converted the video to several formats that are smaller using another program (Free Video Converter). I still get jerky play back. I'm working with 720p files that are h234 or h2xx something. IS smart proxy on by default? If so then this program can't handle even 720p video? I have made DVD files at some point and it doesn't get better after it is converted. Do these problems occur in Adobe Premiere Elements?
I wish I could project more of the image of a supplicant but it will take awhile to get over the close $1000 spent on a monitor and computer upgrade to maybe solve a problem i didn't have.
But I do mean thanks for any help.
woxof

Postby woxof on Sat Apr 09, 2011 5:18 am

I had the same problem (see posts above0 I just downloaded several CODEC packages from free sites. I think the one that PRETTY MUCH fixed the problem was ffmpeg. I think from CNET. You can get it from ff site but weird zip format. I also downloaded a couple others but this had H264 so did others but didn't seem to work. Still get nothing from smart proxy but with this codec (or maybe it makes smart proxy work with this) I can now view the original video (several clips together for test pourposes) with the audio in sync and almost all the jerkiness gone. If I view in CLIP view I have no sound?/ go figure? Since it is a $59 GIGAWARE 1080p camera on telephoto some of the unsteadiness is mine (it does have stabilization in the 720p i shoot in.) Hope this helps
woxof

Postby Trevor Andrew on Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:02 am

Hi

With Smart Proxy enabled, Yes Smart Proxy is “on” by default using X4, but some versions of VS were Off by default.

1 / Files will be created when they are first inserted to the timeline.

2 / you will see them first in the Proxy Queue Manager, they are being converted, this can take a long time, the type of file and its length, your PC speed will determine how long it takes. I cannot possibly give a time. Can you fill in your profile to include your PC specification……………
3 / once converted the proxy files can seen in the Proxy File Manager list.

4 / Small icons are added to the clips within the timeline, these indicate different editing’s, adding filters etc, unfortunately there is no list or description of these.
The Smart Proxy looks like a double icon.
proxy icon.jpg

5 / closing Video Studio will terminate the proxy file creation. Be Patient, but consider your PC speed.

Smart Proxy will cure playback problems when using Video Studio, it will not cure any inherent problems that the video file may have.
So If you have used other software to convert and are still having problems then I would suspect your video file or your PC speed rather than the software (VS)
Trevor Andrew

Postby woxof on Sat Apr 09, 2011 2:16 pm

Thanks - especially for the icons. I have not seen those. MY set up is a brand new 2.8 GHZ 6 core AMD Phenom with a 1GB ATI 5570 card and a 7200rpm 1TB almost empty hard drive. I just wondered about what a reasonable time is for a say 2 min 720 avi h264 video to convert. It just does nothing just doing a 1.5 min clip. It does nothing if it is in H264 or if i convert to MP4 ot win AVI. I just have empty lists, que etc. The new codec packages made a huge difference but it is still slow to edit and a little jerky. IF all video over 720 is done automatically I have never seen this icons on this or on VS 11.5 which is my previous version.

thanks again for any help.
woxof

Next

Return to VideoStudio