Failed to open the MPEG encoder

Postby pjsemmer on Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:23 pm

Hello,

I've been using VideoStudio Pro X2 for the past 2 years and it has been working just fine since, up until mid last week. I was rolling right along, creating MPEG-2's of the Classic 39 Honeymooners episodes, until I got up to Episode 24, when I started getting the 'Failed to open the MPEG encoder' error message. I searched through this forum to find any possible solution and the only solutions I found were to check to see if the MPEG-2 encoder CODEC is installed, which it appears to be according to the InstalledCodec utility and to uninstall/reinstall VS, which I did. I still receive the same error message, however. What could cause it to go from working one moment, to not working the next?

I tried to attach a text file listing all of the installed codecs on my system, so you can look to see if the needed codecs are installed, however I was unable to attach the file...says 'extension not allowed'. Please let me know how to upload the file if you need to see it.

Thanks in advance.

Paul Semmer
pjsemmer

operating_system: Windows 7 Home Premium
System_Drive: C
32bit or 64bit: 64 Bit
motherboard: Dell Inc. 0D501F
processor: Intel Core2Duo T9300 2.5 GHz
ram: 4GB
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT
sound_card: SigmaTel High Definition Audio
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 320GB

Re: Failed to open the MPEG encoder

Postby Black Lab on Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:38 pm

What could cause it to go from working one moment, to not working the next?

Anything change on your system? Installed or uninstalled any software? Software updates, including automatic?
Black Lab

operating_system: Windows 8

Postby pjsemmer on Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:03 pm

Black Lab wrote:
Anything change on your system? Installed or uninstalled any software? Software updates, including automatic?

Hi Jeff,

Nothing was updated at the moment that the problem occurred. I had just finished encoding one episode, then began the next one and got the error. I have Windows set to only download, but not install the latest updates.

The InstalledCodec utility does not show anything having changed since 9/29 of this year, up until I reinstalled X2 last night, which shows the Corel/Ulead codecs installed date of 12/12. What specific codec(s) would be used by X2 during an encoding of the MPEG-2 (I was using the MPEG Optimizer function in X2)? I see the Ulead MPEG Encoder, Ulead MPEG Audio Encoder, the Microsoft MPEG-2 Video Encoder and all are enabled.

Regards,
Paul
pjsemmer

Postby Black Lab on Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:13 pm

Just out of curiosity, have you tried creating an MPEG-2 of the next episode (#25) or any others?

What happens if you try to encode one of the sample clips provided by Corel?
Black Lab

Postby Ron P. on Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:16 pm

There is a folder called Common Files located in the Program Files folder. Many programs place shared files in this folder. Ulead (Corel) share the MPEG folder. C:\Program Files\Common Files\Ulead Systems\MPEG, which has the MPEG codecs for all their products.
Ron Petersen, Web Board Administrator
Ron P.
Site Admin

motherboard: Hewlett-Packard 2AF3 1.0
processor: 3.40 gigahertz Intel Core i7-4770
ram: 16GB
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 645
sound_card: NVIDIA High Definition Audio
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 4TB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: Dell SE198WFP-Desktop

RESOLVED: Failed to open the MPEG encoder

Postby pjsemmer on Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:35 pm

Okay, it seems that I'm back in business.

I tried the suggestion from BlackLab to try another episode or try one of the sample clips. When I tried to import the clip from my ISO image, I was getting a very strange error when I clicked on 'Import from folder'. The error was 'Unspecified error. Report ID: 0x80004002(16386)'. Note, that this was after I de-installed and re-installed last night. I decided to go ahead and give re-installation a shot again. This time, after I de-installed VS, I ran CCleaner and removed the dead registry entries that referenced VS. After re-installing, I was able to import from my ISO image in the folder where I ripped them to. I then tried to encode to an MPEG-2 and this time it worked. Very odd, how it just stopped working, but it seems possible that there may have been a corrupt registry entry or something.

Anyway, thanks for your help and suggestions!

Regards,
Paul Semmer
pjsemmer