DVD burn fail VS x3 windows 7

Postby flynny on Mon May 03, 2010 10:31 am

Hey all I'm having trouble burning dvd projects.

I'm using video studio pro x3 and windows 7.

When trying to create a disc it opens dvd factory 2010 and does everything Ok but when I try to burn the project it gets about 95% through the burn process and fails. It seems like it is putting the files on but failing in the "writing lead out" phase.
I've tried 3 different dvd burns to make sure that isn't the issue. I can create a file and then use nero to burn the disc fine but not when going through VS pro x3/DVD factory

Any suggestions how to rectify ?
flynny

operating_system: Windows 7 Home Premium
System_Drive: C
32bit or 64bit: 64 Bit
motherboard: p55a-ud3
processor: intel I7
ram: 4gb
Video Card: msi n260gtx
sound_card: windows 7
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 900gb

Re: DVD burn fail VS x3 windows 7

Postby Ken Berry on Mon May 03, 2010 1:58 pm

I'm afraid all I can suggest is to avoid DVD Factory, and instead download the Movie Factory 7 SE from the Do More tab in X3, and burn using that...
Ken Berry
Ken Berry
Site Admin

motherboard: Hewlett-Packard 17FB 10.58
processor: i7 2.2 GHz
ram: 4 GB
Video Card: Radeon HD 7690M XT 1 GB RAM
sound_card: On Board Intel
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 640 GB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: BENQ G2420 HD 1920x1080 24"

Postby Black Lab on Mon May 03, 2010 7:51 pm

Any suggestions how to rectify ?

You already found it. Create a file a burn with Nero. That's what I've done since VS10.
Black Lab

operating_system: Windows 8

Postby flynny on Mon May 03, 2010 10:44 pm

Cheers,

I'll try movie factory. Burning with Nero isn't ideal as I want to make use of the menus and chapter settings in DVD factory.

Either way after paying for x3 you'd think it would work. I never had an issue with x2 on my old system running xp
flynny

Postby sjj1805 on Mon May 03, 2010 11:51 pm

flynny wrote:Cheers,

I'll try movie factory. Burning with Nero isn't ideal as I want to make use of the menus and chapter settings in DVD factory.

Either way after paying for x3 you'd think it would work. I never had an issue with x2 on my old system running xp

If you do not already own a copy of MovieFactory then you are eligible for a FREE download of DVD MovieFactory 7 SE.
Regards, Steve Jones, Web Board Administrator
sjj1805

operating_system: Windows XP Pro
System_Drive: E
32bit or 64bit: 32 Bit
motherboard: Equium P200-178
processor: Intel Pentium Dual-Core Processor T2080
ram: 2 GB
Video Card: Intel 945 Express
sound_card: Intel GMA 950
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 1160 GB

Postby MMAgearadvice on Wed May 05, 2010 7:04 am

sjj1805 wrote:

If you do not already own a copy of MovieFactory then you are eligible for a FREE download of DVD MovieFactory 7 SE.

I too have this same problem how do I download a free copy.
MMAgearadvice

motherboard: DELL Inc. 0X501H A02
processor: 2.67 gigahertz Intel Core i7 920
ram: 8gb
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTS 240
sound_card: Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 989.84 GB

Postby Accolades on Thu May 06, 2010 11:16 pm

MMAgearadvice wrote:
sjj1805 wrote:

I too have this same problem how do I download a free copy.

Ahhhh now that is the question.....

Use the force .. Will it to happen...

Have you tried the Do More or Get More tabs in X3 ?
My You Tube Channel:
My Vimeo Channel:
SONY MOVIE STUDIO PLATINUM HD 10, Corel Video Studio X3, Corel Draw Graphics Suite X4 (Draw, Paint), Adobe Photo Shop CS4, Adobe Bridge CS4, DivX 8, Irfranview, FRAPS, Deamon Tools, VLC, MyDefrag, Nero, AVG, Winamp, Autopano, VMware...
Accolades

operating_system: Windows 7 Ultimate
motherboard: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD4
processor: QuadCore Intel Core i7 920 2833 MHz 21 x 135
ram: 12 GB DDR3
Video Card: Nvidia GeForce GTX 295
sound_card: On Board 5.1 Surround - Realtek ALC888 - 1200
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 4TB +

Postby MMAgearadvice on Fri May 07, 2010 1:25 am

Accolades wrote:
MMAgearadvice wrote:I'll try movie factory. Burning with Nero isn't ideal as I want to make use of the menus and chapter settings in DVD factory.

I too have this same problem how do I download a free copy.[/quote]

Ahhhh now that is the question.....

Use the force .. Will it to happen...

Have you tried the Do More or Get More tabs in X3 ?[/quote]
yep tried that not there?
MMAgearadvice

motherboard: DELL Inc. 0X501H A02
processor: 2.67 gigahertz Intel Core i7 920
ram: 8gb
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTS 240
sound_card: Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 989.84 GB

Postby flynny on Sun May 09, 2010 9:13 am

MMAgearadvice wrote:yep tried that not there?

Worked for me. needed to scroll through the do more menu a bit to find it.
Works fine but still disappointing that the package doesn't work "out of the box" so to speak and annoying you have to make a file and then close the VS before openning movie maker.
Was nice being able to do it all in the one go with pro x2
flynny

Postby Ron P. on Sun May 09, 2010 11:22 am

Was nice being able to do it all in the one go with pro x2

The difference is that the burn module in the earlier versions of VS, did not close the editor, where using DVD MovieFactory does, which doesn't allow direct insertion of VS project (vsp) files. The burn module in VS X2 and earlier, is really a separate utility. It has it's own Preferences and Project settings. With the burn module it was always confusing on saving the "burn" project, where with MovieFactory it is not, the burn project can be saved, albeit to a different file format (dwz).

For those that do like and are successful at using VS project files (VSP) in authoring DVDs, it would be nice if Corel would provide a patch that will allow MovieFactory 7SE to recognize and use VSP files from VS X3..
Ron Petersen, Web Board Administrator
Ron P.
Site Admin

motherboard: Hewlett-Packard 2AF3 1.0
processor: 3.40 gigahertz Intel Core i7-4770
ram: 16GB
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 645
sound_card: NVIDIA High Definition Audio
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 4TB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: Dell SE198WFP-Desktop

Postby amateur on Sun Oct 10, 2010 2:15 pm

I have just upgraded my computer to have a more powerful one. Now I am completely disillusioned with Corel. I installed a fresh VSX3 (downloaded version) and also got Corel DVD MovieFactory 7 SE as a bonus. After two days of unsuccessful trials I can state that both DVD Factory Pro 2010 and DVD MovieFactory 7 SE are worthless. I can't burn neither a DVD DD 2.0 nor DVD DD 5.1 disc using different medias like: Verbatim, Sony, TDK, Fujifilm, Panasonic. On my old Pentium 4 3.0Ghz I was at least able to create the above mentioned DVDs with VSX2. Please do not offer me things to do included in different threads like ("No Smart Proxy" - I do not need it anymore, "No Smart Render" - I never used it since I bougth my new machine, "Update DirexctX" - I have just installed XP 32 bit SP3 with the latest DirectX 9.0c from Microsoft's site, "Update DVD drive firmware" - I did it on my brand new SH-S223C from SB03 to the latest SB05, "Update VSX3" - I have the latest one right after the installation without dowloading stupid Service Packs - version 13.6.2.36, "Delete other burning softwares" - there is no Nero or others on my computer, I cleared out Nero 9 Essentials with the official Nero 9 clearing tool, "Uninstall newer versions of QT", there was never installed QT on this new machine, "No useage of mp3 audio for the project" - I converted into wav with VSX3, but I also tried not to use any backgroung music at all, "No usage of special effects or transitions" - I had my trials with two simple and short m(2)ts files took 1 minutes altogether on the timeline, etc.

It is funny that site admins recommend to delete Nero and other burning softwares not to have conflicts during the burning process than in other threads the same experts offer to create files with VSX3 than burn them with Nero. What is this? Are we in the kindergarden? Men, I payed a lot for a software that does not do what it should according to the official feature list!
I do not understand why the hell I should use Nero when two burning module is provided with VSX3? BTW Nero 9 does what it claims!

At the almost end of the burning process ("finalizing or the leading out phase") DVD Factory Pro 2010 says "Burn Failed": Oh what a great application of the 21st century saying this sophisticated information without any error code or an additional message. At "Audio and Video Multiplexing" phase DVD MovieFactory 7 SE simply says "A generic error has occured. Make sure that the burner is ready and try again". Ohh yeee, during the weekend I really tried it again and created at least 12 pieces of false DVD discs thanks to Corel.

And something really strange thing, I can only burn DVDs with VSX3 onto -RW / +RW media. Samsung (SH-S223C) declares that "Authoring is not supported for DVD-R" so I used only DVD+R, the result is well knonw, see above.

No relevant log entries in the Log Viewer, no successful DVD burning with VSX3, just "impressive" marketing blablabla about VSX3 on the Corel site.

Any help or is there any possibility for refund?
amateur

operating_system: Windows 7 Professional
motherboard: GigaByte GA-P55-UD3L
processor: Intel Core i5-760
ram: 8GB
Video Card: GeForce GT240 Zotac 1GB DDR3 Zone Edition
sound_card: SoundBlaster Audigy SE 7.1
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 2x500GB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: Dell U2312HM 1920x1080 23"

Postby Ron P. on Sun Oct 10, 2010 4:09 pm

amateur,
The members and staff are not Corel employees, just users of their products that volunteer our time here trying to help others. That long list of suggestions, other pages of the web forum, or other web sites, are just what the members have suggested that seem to work for them having similar issues. Don't worry since you seem not to desire any further such recommendations, advise or suggestions, we will try to refrain from doing so for you.

Suggestions to use other software programs, such as Nero, again practices that some follow. It's like having more than one tool in your toolbox. As far as I recall, we do not advise to uninstall Nero, just the Drag-n-Drop utility that tends to hijack the burner. Roxio has or had a similar one, and the full versions of DVD MovieFactory . Those need to be disabled or uninstalled, otherwise the burner is tied up, and can not be accessed to burn discs. We do know that Corel's products are not perfect, and that we have made numerous posts about how worthless DVD Factory 2010 is. There are some also pointing out the problems with DVD MovieFactory 7SE. DVD MF was made during the same period as VS X2, which the burn module is designed from DVD MF.

Possibility of refund? Well Corel does offer a 30 Day money back guarantee. Now couple that with the 30 days of free trial, that provides 60 days to see if the products are what you want, and will do what you want it to. The TBYB (trial) versions are fully functional, just does not have all the goodies that the full versions do. You should have been able to determine if the program will work or not at that time, and if not, I think I would decide not to purchase it then. However Corel still gives you another 30 days to make a decision after purchase.

One piece of advise, visit some of the competitor's web forums before purchasing them. There's several that I have looked at, some I thought about purchasing, until I read on their forums, where they have a fair share of very similar issues as VS, or DVD MF. Some other programs even require a separate license to be bought if you have to re-install the program, or want to install it on a 2nd PC, like a laptop. They also only give you a simple program structure, and you have to purchase other "components", such as audio editing, or music packages, plug-ins for effects.

There's another program that I have been trying out, and will probably purchase, because Corel just will not add some features that have been repeatedly requested. That does not mean that I will just dump VS or MF, but just add that to my toolbox. It would be nice if any software developer was capable of producing a program that does it all, and does it all without eror. Nice fantasy isn't it? It just isn't going to happen, there's too many variables involved, too many possible configurations with computers, and software. Things are not going "gel" all the time.
Ron P.
Site Admin

Monitor/Display Make & Model: Dell SE198WFP-Desktop

Postby amateur on Sun Oct 10, 2010 5:02 pm

Thanks for the honest description of the situation. I know that there are no perfect softwares or hardwares. I had a look at the competitors’ weak points and after that I decided to buy the Corel product.

I started to prefer VSX2 due to the Smart Proxy feature since that time I had a low performance computer. Then I purchased VSX3 hoping that problems experienced with the prevoius version would disappear. In fact new ones came up.

More above I did not know about the money back guarantee.

I am sorry for a few „sharp” sentences of mine, but it is really disappointing to have both MF SE and DVD Factory 2010 without the ability of burning DVDs.

I know you are volunteers but I also read in this forum that if someone asks for deeper technical help from Corel they simply recommend to search on this web forum.

I will consider to have more than one tool in my toolbox (VSX3, Nero).

Yes, I asked you not to suggest things that I listed, but I would be really curious how is it possible that I can burn onto –RW/+RW but not onto +R?

What could be the resaon behind it?
amateur

operating_system: Windows 7 Professional
motherboard: GigaByte GA-P55-UD3L
processor: Intel Core i5-760
ram: 8GB
Video Card: GeForce GT240 Zotac 1GB DDR3 Zone Edition
sound_card: SoundBlaster Audigy SE 7.1
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 2x500GB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: Dell U2312HM 1920x1080 23"

Postby Ken Berry on Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:10 pm

I would be really curious how is it possible that I can burn onto –RW/+RW but not onto +R?

I am sure Ron will want to comment further, but just on this point, that is the first time I have heard it... Normally, people have exactly the opposite problem -- namely, that they have trouble when they tgry to burn to a +/-RW disc. Normally, again, that would be a burner issue with particular brand discs, but it seems you have in any case tried a variety of discs.

The other comment I would make is that while MF 7SE evidently has some problems -- like not being able to burn discs with 5.1 Dolby (though it certainly can with two channel Dolby stereo -- I use that all the time), or the ability to change the burning speed -- quite a few users out there use it to successfully burn DVDs and, in my case for instance, also AVCHD hybrid discs (I don't yet have a Blu-Ray burner).

And just a footnote on Nero: the module mentioned by Ron is called InCD. As Ron said, we have never recommended both that people uninstall the whole Nero package -- just InCD in case it happens to be installed. However, that was a problem with Nero 6 and previous versions, where InCD was installed automatically unless you did a Custom install and chose not to install it. Lots of Nero users complained about the fact that InCD took over the burner and denied it to other programs. So Nero no longer installs it automatically since version 7 unless you consciously decided to install it. Roxio has a similar module, though in the case of Roxio, you can internally disable it when using other programs needing the burner. With InCD, there is no internal disabling feature -- you have to uninstall it, though at least it appears as a separate program in Control Panel...

Incidentally, I personally have been relatively impressed with Nero's authoring capabilities in versions 9 and 10, including the wide choice of template packs now available...
Ken Berry
Ken Berry
Site Admin

motherboard: Hewlett-Packard 17FB 10.58
processor: i7 2.2 GHz
ram: 4 GB
Video Card: Radeon HD 7690M XT 1 GB RAM
sound_card: On Board Intel
Hard_Drive_Capacity: 640 GB
Monitor/Display Make & Model: BENQ G2420 HD 1920x1080 24"

Postby Ron P. on Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:28 pm

I don't know, but doubt DVD MF7SE has Burn.Now included with it. If it does you launch it from the Start menu. It has the ability to provide your burner drive information. The screenshot shows what the DVD burner on my desktop can do..
drive_info-1.png
drive_info-1.png (13.44 KiB) Viewed 2263 times

It is odd that yours is doing the opposite as most others. I'm not 100% sure on this, but I think the firmware inside the burner/drive determines what type of discs it can write to.
Ron P.
Site Admin